The Official Abel Korzeniowski thread

Neimoidian

His name is Abel Korzeniowski. He is a polish composer, he has done a few well-received scores here and now he has been making his way in the US. So far he's been working on rather small-budget/independent movie, but his latest project, Tom Ford's A Single Man , mainly due to Colin Firth's award-winning role, may earn some recognition, and so may the music (it's already mentioned as a possible contender for the award season this fall).

Korzeniowski's style is minimalistic when it comes to melodic lines, but at the same time he doesn't refrain from using rich orchestral palette.

Here are some of the clips from his various scores (from his website - so they are legal):

A Single Man - Sunset

Battle of Terra - Journey through Space

Confessions of a GoGo Girl - Especially You

Fritz Lang's Metropolis - Symphony of Fear (trailer suite)

If you like it, I recommend you to check out his web site. Under every project of his there are always cues to listen (often 5 or 6, which - in case of smaller movies - is perhaps the whole score).

it's already mentioned as a possible contender for the award season this fall

Thank god there is no williams score to nominate this year, because this guy has a strange name! :P

Indeed. I just noticed that so far only one guy with last name "Smith" got Oscar for best score. This cannot be a coincidence. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

which "Smith"? The Goldsmith?

No.

According to Wikipedia in 1940 AAs for best score received Leigh Harline, Paul J. Smith and Ned Washington (for Pinocchio).

But what did you guys think of his music?

I gave it a quick listen, no in-depth by any means. I thought it showed some promise, but overall, not sure... the textures felt too drawn out for my taste in general. But like I said, I didn't have the time to listen to everything.

Your thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I started this thread over a year ago to introduce you to an unknown talent, of whom I've been a long-time fan. Now, after these several months, the guy is a Golden Globe nominee, his soundtrack to A Single Man is regarded by many critics as one of the best scores in recent years and his recent album, Copernicus' Star, has been getting rave reviews (like this one or that one).

Are you now more familiar with Mr Korzeniowski? What are your thoughs about his music and his future in Hollywood cinema?

After all the rave comments about it, I recently ordered Copernicus' Star without having heard any clips. You better hope I like it!

It surpassed my already high expectations, so I am sure you'll enjoy it.

I thought 'A Single Man' was boring but I am going to order 'Copernicus Star' at some point.

It's completely opposite kind of music - it sounds like a score any post-JW Harry Potter movie should have had. I love A Single Man, though.

Marian, check out the clips on his official website (www.abelkorzeniowski.com). Some links are provided in the very first post of this thread. This guy is pretty good.

Karol

A SINGLE MAN was one of my most-played soundtracks last year. That should tell you how much I like the guy.

I also think his METROPOLIS symphony rivals Huppertz' original.

And I love the sound clips I've heard of COPERNICUS STAR.

So yeah, I'm a fan.

I was in the audience when he received his two awards at the Ghent festival last year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Abel on his latest project: W.E. - a period drama directed by Madonna:

W.E.could be my best score so far. Madonna really let me spread my wings and soar.

More info about the movie: http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/06/13/yes-harvey-weinstein-buys-madonnas-w-e-its-smart-and-stylish

W.E.could be my best score so far

When I first read this' date=' it got me excited. Then he mentioned Madonna. Bah!

[/quote']

That doesn't mean anything yet, fortunately. The first reactions to the movie are surprisingly quite positive and don't forget that Abel's previous movie - A Single Man - was directed by a fashion designer. Anyway, whatever the final picture will be like, the soundtrack may kick ass.

EDIT:

By the way, Abel is going to be a guest at this-year Ghent Film Music Festival in Belgium (in October) where he'll perform his music from A Single Man and W.E.

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-4THnOdk3I

A new ad for BMW with original and very beautiful music by Korzeniowski. It starts in a very A Single Man-like fashion, but develops in a different direction, ultimately soaring, especially when that cello part comes in.

EDIT: You can download SFX-free audio clip from his website or directly from this link.

• 4 months later...

Among the dozens of loop-electronic etc. scores, a very promising composer that shows that film music has still some good things to show..

the whole score here:

http://twcguilds.com/film/we#score

I hope it gets an Oscar nomination, but I don't think so..

Awesome! Copernicus' Star is a terrific score, and I've been curious to check out some of his other works. This has reminded me I need to update the 2011 FYC thread, thanks for that!

They are used by studios to promote scores that they think have a chance to win awards during this year's awards season. It's a way to get the scores out to the voters without having to snail-mail out a bunch of CDRs. See here:

http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=20940

oh, thanks for the info. yes, ti seems it must be more music than the official soundtrack..

I'm listening to the score now.

it seems Korzeniowski has influences of Glass-Nyman.

Great score!

I dare to say that I would prefer this to win over War Horse, if they were both nominated!

He's a great guy! I chatted him quite a bit in Ghent this year, among other things about his wonderful METROPOLIS score (especially since Moroder was also there, who had his own version of the film).

They also played a suite from W.E. in the concert, which sounded very much like A SINGLE MAN, only driven more by piano than strings.

Here's a pic of me (to the right) with a couple of film music friends of mine and Abel:

308360_10150423965566278_530696277_10485882_859335668_n.jpg

The scores are back in place :)

As for meeting Abel, he is really nice and forthcoming guy. Plus he writes terrific music, so I keep my fingers crossed for him having another lucrative project.

As for W.E., my initial impression is positive, but not as much as I expected. I'd prefer something less minimalistic. I definitely must give it another listen though. There are parts which are utterly beautiful.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I hope some of you have all took the opportunity to listen to this beautiful score. It was a pretty tricky review to write (and its not just because of the name!).

Here goes:

http://musicmusekk.w...l-korzeniowski/

Criticism and feedback is much appreciated! Anyone else heard the score?

- KK

Yes, it is. I'm not sure if an official album release will come out soon, so I basically reviewed it off the FYC promo. That promo is one hell of a mess though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wonder why there is no more talk about this excellent composer.

He's been my favourite in the last couple of years.

Check also some older film scores of him, in the same vein like Single Man and W.E., although they don't have such "strong" memorable lyrical themes but are more atmospheric.

-Angel in Cracow

-Pogoda na Jutro

-Pu-239

-Tickling Leo

MV said something that he would like to work with him again (since Copernicus' Star was a success). So maybe we'll get some releases from LLL.

Battle for Terra, hopefully?

Karol

Battle for Terra has been long available on "black market", especially after the composer himself gave it away some time ago, so I have little hope Lala is going to release it. Not that I wouldn't buy it, if they did.

The reason for little talk is mainly, because he doesn't do much these days. Despite his talent, versatility and couple highly regarded scores in his portfolio, the mainstream Hollywood (mainly executives) still look down on him, typecasting him as a go-to composer for a mildly successful, artsy gay-dramas or something. Having written a great score for totally unsuccessful Madonna's crap doesn't help him either in the eyes of studio accountants. Such flops can really hamper composers career, since the big-budget productions often settle for the least risky options, which in the end result in bland, formated, RPC-type ostinato-driven score.

oh, what an ideal world would be, if film executives HAD a musical background and could appreciate good music..

What is a "go-to" composer?

and, is it really risky to hire a 2 time Golden Globe nominated composer?

I thought nominations and awards launch your career up..

(well, except the Santaolalla case)