NEW FSM Release: Coma-Westworld-The Carey Treatment!

scallenger

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=4812

I liked the score for COMA and WESTWORLD. Will get this. How does that other score sound I wonder? Cool that it is Crichton-centric. Crichton was friends with Goldsmith and collaborated a good number of times. Love the score he did for his GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY.

• 8 years later...

I have a question:

Is this release definitive and closes the chapter on Coma? Is there any material that a new release could add or is it complete? What about the sound quality? Any space for improvements or is it as good as it gets?

I'm maybe gonna get this from the second hand market and I don't wanna risk buying a non-definitive release for that much money, so that a better version for a reasonable price comes out as soon as I checked out on ebay.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I weighed up both the OST and FSM for Coma a few years ago and I'd rather the OST really.

You mean the sound quality or what? Or the program?

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

You mean the sound quality or what? Or the program?

The program. This was obviously not a simple score to create an easy listening album flow, but Goldie defied the odds and made something that feels like it has a beginning, middle and end.

20 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The program. This was obviously not a simple score to create an easy listening album flow, but Goldie defied the odds and made something that feels like it has a beginning, middle and end.

I agree. I think the first piece of the score is heard after the 50 minutes mark. That could be a record. And I'm pretty sure a C&C presentation might be something that is hard to get used to. But I still wanna have the complete score, so my question is, whether the FSM release is complete or not and whether it is likely to get a sonic upgrade, in case we get a reissue.

Brundlefly the FSM release of Coma is complete but it is the film mix and some people prefer the unique original album mix, just FYI. For that reason I have both versions.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/348/Coma-Westworld-The-Carey-Treatment/

People in this thread prefer the FSM mix:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=30211&forumID=1&archive=1

Another: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=54306&forumID=1&archive=0

There was also a recent thread about Coma releases at FSM:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=125892&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

It is complete and sounds good, though I think to be truly definitive it’d have to have been paired with the unique album mix, like Intrada and LLL did for Bandolero! For example.

But instead the FSM is filled out with two other interesting scores, which probably excites more people than would care about an alternate mix.

Yavar

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20190402_174036.jpg

Fantastic to finally have this in perfect condition! The sound quality is sublime, the score itself is suspense and horror scoring at its finest! Only the love theme (and its numberous variants) seems very out of place, in the film and as part of the score. Maybe the producers have forced him to write it.

Glad you're finding ways to fill out your definitive Goldsmith collection! I'd probably focus on trying to acquire all the complete Sony Music expansions (i.e. First Knight, Congo, The Shadow, The River Wild, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, etc.) since they've cut off all third party licensing, and well as perhaps his Fox scores (since the Disney purchase, those will probably also be unlikely to be reissued often).

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Glad you're finding ways to fill out your definitive Goldsmith collection! I'd probably focus on trying to acquire all the complete Sony Music expansions (i.e. First Knight, Congo, The Shadow, The River Wild, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, etc.) since they've cut off all third party licensing, and well as perhaps his Fox scores (since the Disney purchase, those will probably also be unlikely to be reissued often).

Already have all of these. 😎 Post-1978 there are very few scores that I don't already have.

Okay, I have one question. The following YouTube video contains the track "Study in Anatomy" with a weird wind machine (?) sound at 1:47:

https://youtu.be/dApQumz6F_U

However, it is not on the FSM release. What's the explanation behind that?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 2:42 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

The FSM is the film mix. The original album mix is unique and different. This is possibly a case where it is worth owning both...

This was brought up at the FSM forum already, when the set came out. Lucas Kendall replied that the synths were not included in the sources they had to create the complete presentation. If you listen to it carefully enough in the film, you may hear that the part was posthumously edited into the track. There are two bad cutoffs in the music.

I love that synth effect so much, that I have recreated a lossless version WITH the synth, however, WITHOUT the cutoffs:

12 Study in Anatomy (with aditional synth).WAV

You're welcome.

• 1 year later...

Anyone else annoyed to no end by "Cape Cod Weekend" shitting over the atmosphere of the rest of the score. Obviously not an artistic, but a commercial decision to put that unfitting cue in the film and on the album.

• 3 years later...
On 24/04/2019 at 9:01 PM, Display Name said:

This was brought up at the FSM forum already, when the set came out. Lucas Kendall replied that the synths were not included in the sources they had to create the complete presentation. If you listen to it carefully enough in the film, you may hear that the part was posthumously edited into the track. There are two bad cutoffs in the music.

I love that synth effect so much, that I have recreated a lossless version WITH the synth, however, WITHOUT the cutoffs:

12 Study in Anatomy (with aditional synth).WAV 35.7 MB · 2 downloads

You're welcome.

Thanks. This score probably ranks in my top 20 Goldsmith scores. I have seen the film countless times but I have never noticed that. So thanks.

This hobby continues to deliver.