Southpaw

Arrival

The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection

Doctor Strange

A Palace Upon the Ruins

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

The 33

Karol

Some very good music. And Doctor Strange. 

25 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That bad, huh?

Karol

Hey give the man a break. He just bought all possible versions of the Fantastic Beasts soundtrack and possibly some more different printings/editions of The Hobbit. He is a collector after all. ;)

21 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Hey give the man a break. He just bought all possible versions of the Fantastic Beasts soundtrack and possibly some more different printings/editions of The Hobbit. He is a collector after all. ;)

Actually I only bought one version of Fantastic Beasts. I got the rest as gifts ?

Tis still better than Gia's stuff too. 

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

I just purchased a score which I've had digitally for years in mp3, John Williams' Catch Me If You Can. Brilliant score, so I thought it good that I add it to my collection.

I do confess a certain affection for it as well. Delightfully playful although with a melancholy side as well. Father's Theme is just heartbreaking, the concert arrangement one of my favourites.

24 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I do confess a certain affection for it as well. Delightfully playful although with a melancholy side as well. Father's Theme is just heartbreaking, the concert arrangement one of my favourites.

I concur. :)

Just ordered direct from "Townsend Music" the new Season 4 OST for the BBC Sherlock show, which comes with a free CD for "The Abominable Bride" that you can't get anywhere else.  I added Sherlock Season 1 to the order, since I hadn't grabbed that one yet in physical form.

30958.jpg (250×250)   30942.jpg (250×250)   s5LDGEy.jpg (250×250)

I saw there was less than 50 copies left for Varese's Agnes of God reissue, so I picked it up on a whim.  Never heard it before, or seen the film

32355.jpg

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Goodness but they are pretty similar

As the Supreme Bishop of John Williams I would say that while the opening figures are similar if not identical, ol' Johnny's melody is better than Delerue's. And now never ever discuss this again! End of story!

Orchestration and progression is pretty similar.

And I disagree, Delerue's melody is the more heartbreaking of the two. Something about it truly speaks to the soul. He was always good at that, ol' Delerue.

To me Williams' melody perfect captures Pan, not only the allusion to the mythical flute playing satyr of the Greek mythology aspect that is possibly reflected in the music but also the quasi-spiritual embodiment of eternal youth and inner child that is Peter Pan. I think Williams even deepens the sylvan atmosphere in the concert suite to more satisfying heights, especially with the lovely flute coda but with chorus it might have been even more heavenly than it already is.

Which is not to take away from the beauty of Delerue's music which is of course religioso by its very context but once gain he achieves that lyrical excellent which very few composers do so frequently as he did. I'll probably order Agnes of God that soon-ish if those 500 units last beyond the turn of the year.

14 minutes ago, Incanus said:

To me Williams' melody perfect captures Pan, not only the allusion to the mythical flute playing satyr of the Greek mythology aspect that is possibly reflected in the music but also the quasi-spiritual embodiment of eternal youth and inner child that is Peter Pan. I think Williams even deepens the sylvan atmosphere in the concert suite to more satisfying heights, especially with the lovely flute coda but with chorus it might have been even more heavenly than it already is.

Jeez Incanus. It's just another nice pastoral Vaughan-Williams/Delius tinged impersonation of british classicism, at odds with the movie scene which is quite understandable given how horrid it is. Could be really for another Jane Eyre-stroll in an autumn garden. Nothing Peter Pan about it, or in its contemplativeness at least ignoring large chunks of what the myth is about.

The only time Williams ever got near that is in the short scene in Kensington Gardens when Robin Williams sees the Pan statue

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

Jeez Incanus. It's just another nice pastoral Vaughan-Williams/Delius tinged impersonation of british classicism, at odds with the movie scene which is quite understandable given how horrid it is. Could be really for another Jane Eyre-stroll in an autumn garden. Nothing Peter Pan about it, or in its contemplativeness at least ignoring large chunks of what the myth is about.

The only time Williams ever got near that is in the short scene in Kensington Gardens when Robin Williams sees the Pan statue

We all have our weaknesses. I love Williams' Ralph impersonations pub! Pow! Right in the heartstrings!

But yes the little flute passage with the Pan statue is another and perhaps even more mythic moment in the score.

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

I'll probably order Agnes of God that soon-ish if those 500 units last beyond the turn of the year.

It's sold out. 

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

We all have our weaknesses. I love Williams' Ralph impersonations pub! Pow! Right in the heartstrings!

Quite so, old boy. I was just taking aim at your claim how oh-so-brilliant this rather broad romantic piece is in describing the Pan myth which just prompted an incontrollable twitch in my fingertips.

Almost forgot that the other week, we were in a Savers for a hot minute and I perused the used CDs and picked up three scores I didn't have in my collection for $1.99 each

17476.gif  51RY95UNC4L._SY300_QL70_.jpg (296×300)   545.gif

My second ever Newman CD!

1 hour ago, Selina Kyle said:

I got a used copy of the Titanic OST for a dollar so I could frame the cover.

Well that was money spent.