Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Insurrection

The Two Towers LE

Snow Falling on Cedars by James Newton Howard

The Departed by Howard Shore

On the Beach by Christopher Gordon

The Lion in Winter by Richard Hartley

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm not familiar with three of these scores, but SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is a lovely score, from a really good film.

I took a chance on Christopher Gordon's On the Beach since it was very well received back in the day and I really like the composer, whose Moby Dick is an excellent piece of work.

The Departed is a bit different Howard Shore, mixing playfulness with suspense and drama with guitars in the lead role in the catchy main theme, a tango, composed for the cat-and-mouse dance of cops and Irish mafia in Boston. I was really positively surprised with it from the first time I heard it. You should check it out.

And Richard Hartley's The Lion in Winter score for the excellent 2003 television remake with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart might not be as foreground as Barry's music but still has a lovely little main theme flitting in and out of the faux-Medieval dramatic underscore and source music. As a fan of this adaptation I thought it was high time to get this.

Snow Falling on Cedars is among my favourite JNH scores with a beautiful bridging of ambiance and drama into a compelling whole with such contemplative Japanese undertones.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thanks for that. Ernest Gold's original OTB is worth checking out.

As for Barry's TLlW...

Barry is a classic and one of his absolute best. Hartley's score clearly takes cue from it for certain sequences like Eleanor's arrival and leaving for Rome sequence but in modern sensibilities remains much more polite through much of its running time.

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

I took a chance on Christopher Gordon's On the Beach since it was very well received back in the day and I really like the composer, whose Moby Dick is an excellent piece of work.

How did you like it then? I'd count Moby Dick among my favourite scores of non-big name composers, but I've never much warmed up to On the Beach I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

How did you like it then? I'd count Moby Dick among my favourite scores of non-big name composers, but I've never much warmed up to On the Beach I'm afraid.

As I just ordered the disc I have yet to listen to the album but the suites I listened to on Youtube sounded promising.

:lol: sorry for misleading you with my mini-reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the new Lockhart CD on Amazon... and added these two... just to have the free shipping. :blush2:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « E.T. 20th CD »

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « skull jones CD »

I already had KOTCS in the Concord boxset, but not alone... I think it will look better on my shelves...

And E.T. well... we are still waiting for a proper expansion set... after all, it can't look bad on my shelves too...

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Buying things you already own to make your shelf look nice?

I only have the 1982 and 1996 E.T. CDs.

On 1.5.2017 at 9:43 AM, Incanus said:

The Departed by Howard Shore

Well I received this but Amazon UK sent me not the original European SilvaScreen release which I was under the impression I was buying but some cheap CD-R looking thingy with amateurish covers where tracklisting was cut short and which didn't look even remotely like the covers of the actual release. Naturally I got refunded and I understand that there are so many products they can't keep track of every piece of merchandise but still it always irks me to see these dubious releases floating around. And if this is legitimate some kind of "print-on-demand" or some label going lazy and producing these half-assed pressings they should have let the customers know. I have no idea what this label Watertower Mod Afw is.

This is the product info:

Product details

• Audio CD (28 Sept. 2016)
  • Number of Discs: 1
  • Label: Watertower Mod Afw
  • ASIN: B01LWQDU0L

Just purchased from iTunes:

p_k11210.jpg

American Voices (2016, Klavier, K 11210; The US Air Force Concert Band/Lang)

John Williams: "For 'The President's Own'".

p_8573405.jpg

Air Force Blue (2015, Naxos, 8573405; US Air Force Band/Lang, US Air Force Singing Sergeants)

John Williams: Call of the Champions.

And pre-ordered:

p_K11219.jpg

Journeys (2017, Klavier Records, K11219; United States Air Force Band/Lang)

John Williams: Hymn to New England, American Journey.

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

Just purchased from iTunes:

p_k11210.jpg

American Voices (2016, Klavier, K 11210; The US Air Force Concert Band/Lang)

John Williams: "For 'The President's Own'".

p_8573405.jpg

Air Force Blue (2015, Naxos, 8573405; US Air Force Band/Lang, US Air Force Singing Sergeants)

John Williams: Call of the Champions.

Perfect music!

In the backyard, under the sun with Sangria (looks like a game of Clue)

Star Trek Nemesis

Only need Generations, Final Frontier (Intrada,  I have the OST album), and the LLL TMP (I have the old expanded version from Amazon MP3.) And my collection of scores from the Prime timeline movies will be complete

I'm a little bit disapointed by the look of the spine of E.T. 20th anniversary CD.

I can make a place for a 4th album of it... anytime!

For Monsignor and The River too... :D

IMG_1916.JPG

Found used on Amazon.com.

With Christine Brewer

p_887158373572.jpg

We'll Paint You a Rainbow (2013, Nightengale Records, 887158373572)

Music conducted by John Williams: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (performed by Christine Brewer); Music composed by John Williams: Elegy (performed by Lynn Harrell).

The new recruit, let's say, in the "collaborations" section: 

We'll Paint You a Rainbow (2013)

Aucun texte alternatif disponible.

• 2 weeks later...

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri: Intrada had this 15% off in honor of their release of Silvestri's Cosmos CD so who was I to refuse.

On the Waterfront by Leonard Bernstein: Again 15% off at Intrada and it was a high time for me to get this. A gorgeous score.

Hellraiser & Hellraiser 2 by Christopher Young

Papillon (Quartet Record release) by Jerry Goldsmith

For Europeans the Intrada shipping fee is rather exorbitant so I rarely order more than a single CD from them since 2 or more cost 23 $ to ship. But the discount and my bonus from their customer programme lowered the overall price suitably.

Just now, Stefancos said:

One of the ugliest covers I've ever seen!

33485.gif

Yup. Is this an actual movie poster material or done specifically for this release?

Papillon

Rabbit & Rogue CD/DVD

Valerian an the City of Thousand Planets

War of the Planet of the Apes

Dunkirk

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Karol

I don't mind blind buying scores I've never heard from my favorite composers.

Valerian is a risky move, though, but I have a feeling I'll like it.  If not, its like $14.  Don't forget, all of this is complete free shipping for me.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't mind blind buying scores I've never heard from my favorite composers.

Valerian is a risky move, though, but I have a feeling I'll like it.  If not, its like $14.  Don't forget, all of this is complete free shipping for me.

Having heard what we have of Spidey I don't think Valerian is the riskiest move there. 

Desplat > Giacchino every day of the week. And twice on Sundays!

On 24/06/2017 at 2:09 PM, Stefancos said:

It's gratifying to see that the anti-Giacchino movement i started all those years ago is finally gaining momentum!

I'm not anti-MG, per se, but I find Desplat's music more interesting to listen to. That won't stop me buying as many MG scores as I possibly can, though.

On 24/06/2017 at 2:51 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

You have saved our lives. We are eternally greatful! 

Yeah, yeah, yeah; whatever ;)