Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

A quite insane bunch of scores. Ironically, Rambo III will be the first score of which I will have had 3 different versions. I don't know Damnation Alley and Logan's Run at all, but I trust you guys and your recommendations! Richard convinced me to get Link.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What made you wait 7 years to pick up Super 8, Inky?

Well I like the score but it really wasn't on my priority list. One could say I had forgotten to get it earlier. :lol:  

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great find Fal! Does Varese write the actual value of the content on the package, or do they write a lower value to avoid customs?

They must write the actual value. I ordered the Goonies double LP and got stung with a £24 customs & Royal Mail handling fee on top of their $23 P&P :angry:
Dearest effing record I've ever bought because of that...

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

A quite insane bunch of scores. Ironically, Rambo III will be the first score of which I will have had 3 different versions. I don't know Damnation Alley and Logan's Run at all, but I trust you guys and your recommendations! Richard convinced me to get Link.

Geez, Louise, don't bring me into this, dude. I only said that I like the score.

LINK is an acquired taste, but it's worth it.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It looks like a list of good scores for bad movies. :D

Is Logan's Run also bad?

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Geez, Louise, don't bring me into this, dude. I only said that I like the score.

If it's shit, you'll pay for it!:angry:

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

image.png

Damnation Alley was a really nice surprise as I had no prior knowledge of the score either. Kind of follows in the footsteps of Capricorn One with its gritty, angry urgent action mood but Goldsmith finds a few spots for some beautiful lyrical writing as well. He packs a lot of punch into a 30 minute score.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is Logan's Run also bad?

If it's shit, you'll pay for it!:angry:

If it's shit (which it won't be! :)), when I can afford it, I'll buy it off of you.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It looks like a list of good scores for bad movies. :D

JS, LOGAN'S RUN is not a bad movie. It's no masterpiece, but it's still ok.

Anything - anything - with the beautiful Jenny Agutter in it, is alright by me.

Intrada’s Jaws

LaLaLand’s Close Encounters of the Third Kind

First time ordering from Music Box Records. Hope everything goes ok. 

How fast do people in the UK usually get their stuff from them?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by John Williams

Picked it up for $2.50 Canadian at a bargain store in Ottawa. Same deal for a great recording of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker and Swan Lake suites! Should have got Night on Bald Mountain though. I'm missing that one and I saw it on some Berliner CD. Oh well.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Who's the conductor of the Tchaikovsky suites?

Leonard Slatkin and the Minnesota Orchestra.

It's some good stuff. Nice recording!

Well I finally received my copy of the Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams. Actually my first Amazon order could not be delivered for some reason (perhaps they had run out of copies) but I found another apparently used copy from Amazon.de, a warehouse deal for only 5 € since the jewel case was cracked and its condition was marked as Acceptable. It arrived today and while the jewel case might have a crack the CD was in mint condition and still in its wrapper. Since this is one of my most sought after JW CDs that didn't yet own (plus it is a brilliant compilation) I am so happy to finally have it! :) 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

FINALLY arrived this week from Japan:

I downloaded these, it's nice to have official credits for the tracks.

I was very excited to learn that my favorites from Odyssey (Steam Gardens and the two Bowser's Castle cues) were among the few composed by Koji Kondo himself!  The man's still got it.

He's great!  The man of many masterpieces.

The physical sets are EXTREMELY well-made, awesome collectibles.

The director's note in the booklet for Living in the Age of Airplanes is very nice :)

How do people usually find delivery times with music-box records? I ordered stuff on the 26th and it still hasn’t arrived. Only left France on the 2nd so that’s the delay. 

Although it’s France so there’s a good chance I hit a postal strike. 

Just receveid.

If you did not read the conversation bout this release, it's good to know that, comparing to the original Philips CDs, the volume of the recordings on this "new" 2015 release, has been raised to a more "modern" level. No sign of remasterisation, but it's better than nothing, the volume of The Planets on the original CD was very very very low!

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams conducts music from »

Star Wars, again and again!

IMG_2469.JPG

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

If you did not read the conversation bout this release, it's good to know that, comparing to the original Philips CDs, the volume of the recordings on this "new" 2015 release, has been raised to a more "modern" level. No sign of remasterisation, but it's better than nothing, the volume of The Planets on the original CD was very very very low!

Has the dynamic range of The Planets been reduced?

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Has the dynamic range of The Planets been reduced?

No the volume has just been increased, no compression.  If you had the original CD you would understand, it was very low!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I do have the original CD and I have no problems with it - I just turn the volume of higher! :D

Well, my last mp3 player had a maximum volume control, and even at the max it was not enough, the quiet parts were almost lost.

Just now, Bespin said:

Well, my last mp3 player had a maximum volume control, and even at the max it was not enough, the quiet parts were almost lost.

Recordings of The Planets are supposed to have a low volume to avoid clipping because of the huge dynamic range of the work. Listen to it on your stereo. ;)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Recordings of The Planets are supposed to have a low volume to avoid clipping because of the huge dynamic range of the work. Listen to it on your stereo. ;)

Oh com'on it's just a "little" bit of clipping!

Anyway, let's move on. :)

As is often the case with Kunzel / Cincinnati albums, this one fails to pass the criteria of a top quality product. If it's not the playing, it's the sound. The latter's the predominant problem of this album - many of the tracks have a flat, muddy sound picture with too little treble.

image.png

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Welcome back to reality.

It's fine I have plenty of new CDs to listen this week... and the week after! :-)

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But what will you do the week after that? 

Summer... ah... yes, it will be calm regarding the CD releases, but it's okay, we got a good spring!!!

And I'm sure we'll got a busy autumn! I don't know about John Williams, but there will be a new Aznavour boxset. This time Universal finally listened to me... they will stop releasing big complete boxes... The last 60 CD was too huge, I told them!!!! This time, it's a low-budget book format, only the Barclay period (1960-1983).  At last. I hope they will correct the 6 first mono albums... I even sent them my own flacs... You know that Universal France don't have in-house sound engineers anymore? They hire incompetent contracutal ones. :huh:

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I do have the original CD and I have no problems with it - I just turn the volume of higher! :D

When you have a coincidental playlist of several albums the volume difference can be very annoying. It was impossible to have the Jurassic Park album and the Black Sunday album on the same playlist. There should be a certain consistency.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

image.png

Another confession that Spielberg directed Poltergeist.

38 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

When you have a coincidental playlist of several albums the volume difference can be very annoying. It was impossible to have the Jurassic Park album and the Black Sunday album on the same playlist. There should be a certain consistency.

Just listen to them on CD. Problem solved. ;)

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

The brand new Intrada!

media.nl?id=15144&c=ACCT67745&h=3429372b

Karol

Is it any good?