Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On 8/29/2018 at 8:07 PM, Bespin said:

I heard a voice in my head saying: Do it Do it Do it!!!! 😁

IMG_2559.JPG

Peter Ustinov's, Richard Crenna's and Shirley MacLaine's crowning achievement that one. Oh boy.

And why was it obligatory for these 1960's comedies to have an embarrassingly bad pop song version of the main theme/pop song turned into a theme. John penned quite a few of those. I guess they were thought as album sales booster (for those scores that even got album).

On 8/29/2018 at 2:31 PM, Incanus said:

Peter Ustinov's, Richard Crenna's and Shirley MacLaine's crowning achievement that one. Oh boy.

And why was it obligatory for these 1960's comedies to have an embarrassingly bad pop song version of the main theme/pop song turned into a theme. John penned quite a few of those. I guess they were thought as album sales booster (for those scores that even got album).

Honestly, I was not able to listen to the score it in one single shot... Just MacLaine's singing is horrible! I'll take another try next week, I was in the mood for "that"!

6 hours ago, Richard said:

I've heard very good things about this!

When I ordered it, I didn't look closely enough at the track list to realise it's 70% remixes. Will need more than one listen to determine how necessary it really is.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Ps, nice tablecloth/rug/placemat* Its got a sort mandala thing about it. And purple! I love purple.

*delete where inaplicable.

Went on a tear of buying vinyl on the Discogs marketplace.  I got The Last Jedi for $10 less than Amazon is currently selling it for!

Yes, I opted for the mono versions of the Copland albums on purpose.  I'm starting to slowly collect every album Copland recorded as a conductor or performer in their original vinyl format.

R-4658083-1371314712-1814.jpeg.jpg

copland~~~~_appalachi_104b.jpg

R-11721265-1521250378-4909.jpeg.jpg

On 9/2/2018 at 12:01 AM, Richard said:

Congrats., etc., Stew. It's always nice when a longed-for soundtrack, becomes yours. There's a "completeness" about it.

Most definitely. Been waiting forever for it to be re-released. 

19 hours ago, Richard said:

Brilliant. Just effing brilliant. A misunderstood masterpiece.

It's certainly a bit peculiar, but so far I'm finding it more listenable than their previous two albums (or at least how I remember them, will give them another spin soon). Curious that Dazzle Ships should be the one to flop.

Kinda nicely links Vangelis' Albedo 0.39 with Radiohead's OK Computer, too.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Amer said:

Wow, lucky you got YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES set since it just went OOP. Great score as it is loads of 80's fun. 

Yes, I am so relieved. Didn't see that sell out coming.

And the same goes for TBOTFA SE. Unfortunately I had to go for the EU version with inferior packaging that does not match my US AUE and TDOS. :( But it's the music that matters I suppose.

I'm awaiting Iron Eagle, Fat Man and Little Boy and Broughton's Lost in Space (Expanded not Complete).

What to get next? Probably *batteries not included and The Lonely Guy.

Oh, and of course the expected LLL "for the books" titles ;)

And potentially the two remaining Intrada Horner titles for the year (please let them be Willow and Volunteers)...

Westworld Season 2 OST arrived today and the Intrada Alien score (my first Jerry Goldsmith purchase, believe it or not!) and the first set of the anime Death Note's score.

Westworld Season 2 doesn't mince any sounds, it's direct and probably contains the most important cues from most of the episodes. Djawadi seems in his zone when writing this style of electronic music - the droning, drums and some dark symphonic aspects that serve as a good accompaniment to the show's style and stories. The packaging isn't gatefolded like the season 1 release - this time it's a standard jewel-case. The discs have a maze pattern that is unlike the familiar 'maze' from the show, probably a stripped back version considering the events of the season.

The Alien 2 Disc Set contains a book with a wealth of information and a cue-by-cue analysis which is very helpful in assorting the cues depending on which version of the film and which version of the score was used in the film. I think it's a shame Scott went for the more 'alien' sounding score, but the presentation of both is a good exercise (probably for Goldsmith too) at hearing one composer's take on a score, twice! 

Death Note (vol.1) is presented in some interesting packaging and being a Japanese release meant a majority of the text and graphics are in that language. The set I got was in as close as I could tell, pristine condition, sealed, which made me feel guilty for opening it. The music for the show is arranged to give both composers of the show a good sampling of their work, a combination of Post Rock and gothic orchestral stylings. Many of the guitar pieces are quite catchy and quickly became earworms that were hard to kill!

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

Westworld Season 2 doesn't mince any sounds, it's direct and probably contains the most important cues from most of the episodes. Djawadi seems in his zone when writing this style of electronic music - the droning, drums and some dark symphonic aspects that serve as a good accompaniment to the show's style and stories. The packaging isn't gatefolded like the season 1 release - this time it's a standard jewel-case. The discs have a maze pattern that is unlike the familiar 'maze' from the show, probably a stripped back version considering the events of the season.

Neat - I'm considering buying this.  As much as I hate most of his work for game of Thrones, I really like his Westworld work, and have listened to both albums on Spotify a few times.

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

The Alien 2 Disc Set contains a book with a wealth of information and a cue-by-cue analysis which is very helpful in assorting the cues depending on which version of the film and which version of the score was used in the film. I think it's a shame Scott went for the more 'alien' sounding score, but the presentation of both is a good exercise (probably for Goldsmith too) at hearing one composer's take on a score, twice! 

YES!  One of hte best film music releases of all time.  Great score, interesting path it took from original concept to final version, and great presentation of all material recorded, AND absolutely perfect liner notes to top it all off.  A true gem.

Finally got my hands on Solo. Not listened to the soundtrack at all since the release, yes it's on YouTube but I always like a CD for Star Wars releases. Anyway, it was cheaper for once in HMV, though according to the receipt I've brought "John Solo: A St..."

I find that Chicken In The Pot is nice as an album opener so I put it at the top of my playlist.

Spoiler

It's really just to get it over with as soon as possible!

Chicken in the Pot is a fucking masterpiece, a national treasure, a Star Wars Icon, a song that deserves to win Best Song for Motion Picture at the Oscars. You thought Cantina Band and Canto Blight were great pieces, but the way that high pitched voice 'wanna wanga woos' and the main singer goes 'oooh' really makes me feel great about life and has made me forget about all the disastrous backlash to TLJ.

25 minutes ago, Holko said:

ereg.jpg

The reign of tablecloths, bedsheets and rugs is at an end! Enter the cat!

The pinnacle of tablecloth evolution is here!

Latest obscure purchase: the score to the Mount Rainier visitor center film. Watching these films is usually torturous because the soundtracks are very rarely released and I have to watch carefully for the composer credit at the end to investigate. This one doesn't even use an orchestra, but judging by the composer's YouTube channel, he wanted this one out there.

36 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Latest obscure purchase: the score to the Mount Rainier visitor center film. Watching these films is usually torturous because the soundtracks are very rarely released and I have to watch carefully for the composer credit at the end to investigate. This one doesn't even use an orchestra, but judging by the composer's YouTube channel, he wanted this one out there.

Who's the composer?