Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I know but it is a score I have never gotten into apart from the love music. North is very hit or miss with me. E.g. I am not overly fond of the lauded Dragonslayer either but I adore stuff like A Streetcar Named Desire and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

The love theme is all you need from that score!

It's actually the element in the score I like the least.

I could you not enjoy something like this:

Here you go!

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/spartacus

And it's even on sale!

They also released disc 1 from that set as it's own separate release later on

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/spartacus-the-complete-album-masters

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Here you go!

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/spartacus

And it's even on sale!

What the hell?! And I thought they usually try to prevent 2 disc sets (Small Soldiers, Executive Decision) and now that!

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What the hell?! And I thought they usually try to prevent 2 disc sets (Small Soldiers, Executive Decision) and now that!

Well considering all the 2-disc releases in the CD Club over the years, I don't think they are actively trying to limit the number of CDs if the length of the score warrants it. Plus Spartacus was Townson's pet project and a historical release of all the available material (similar to the comprehensive Ben-Hur by FSM) so multi-disc release was inevitable with all the available material.

I only question the inclusion of 2 discs of covers of the love theme which might be a nice tribute and chance for musicians to pay respects to North's score and music but mostly an overkill on purely listening experience terms.

But I think it was nice of Varese to release the stereo tracks as a single disc for those not hankering to own everything from the score.

Don't forget the Intrada 6 disc set of The Ten Commandments.

the Ben-Hur 5 disc set by Film Score Monthly

the Ten Commandments 6 disc set by Intrada

the Spartacus 7 disc set by Varese Sarabande

What' next?

the Lawrence of Arabia 8 disc set by La-La Land?

20181003_091759.jpg

I can only repeat myself:

On 6/8/2018 at 8:54 AM, Holko said:

Two of the greatest scores of all time to two of the greatest films of all time.

Return of the King is of course an absolute gem and Ben-Hur seems like a nice set with much love and attention to deta-

20181003_091817.jpg

You absolute cuntbiscuits!

8 hours ago, Holko said:

tenor.gif

I imagine a first perspective of you reading the booklet, until you notice...

the typo.

Your eyes--the camera--hones in, with complete shock, and everything else rescinds to a distance, unnoticed in your fright.

It's worse - it's not in the booklet! If that were the case, I wouldn't see it much. It's in the backing tray. I see it every time I flip the middle to take the second disc out. A travesty!

Just now, Holko said:

It's worse - it's not in the booklet! If that were the case, I wouldn't see it much. It's in the backing tray. I see it every time I flip the middle to take the second disc out. A travesty!

Sounds like you aren't the only one to flip the middle....

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

You gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you....

Or as we film music fans say: And if thou gaze long into a booklet, the booklet will also gaze into thee.

I bought these three CDs last week and have been pretty much only listening to them since.

The Symphony No. 3 recording is a MUST-HAVE for Copland enthusiasts as it's a recording of the symphony as it was performed in '46/'47, before the cuts made by Bernstein (and approved by Copland later).

71qiiEnE6jL._SL1429_.jpg

61sLKKqnCiL.jpg

91ASBR0uLZL._SL1416_.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Might be wrong thread, @Disco Stu,but do you like Walter Piston's stuff?

I know the name but have never checked out any of music!  He's certainly of the era of American music that I've been a bit obsessed with lately.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I have his harmony, counterpoint, and orchestration books. They're not my go-to books.

He was a very dry academic, but the music he wrote was slick.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I know the name but have never checked out any of music!  He's certainly of the era of American music that I've been a bit obsessed with lately.

I had this phase after graduating high school, which is how I discovered him.

So I had been a bad boy and not ordered any Intrada titles in like a year and a half.  I just rectified that by placing a big catch-up order of everything I missed, minus 3 titles that had gone Out Of Print (One Little Indian - d'oh!) or were currently temporarily Out Of Stock (The Mummy and Batteries Not Included) - I'll snag those later.

34312.jpg 34844.jpg 35128.jpg 35023.gif 35736.gif

34468.jpg 35293.jpg 35376.jpg 

34881.gif 35182.gif 35499.gif  36068.gif

34938.jpg 35804.gif

Plus Good Morning Vietnam / Operation Dumbo Drop, which doens't have an entry at ScreenArchives for me to use