Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This score is so good.  My favorite D. Newman score I think.

What rounds out your top 3 for him?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What rounds out your top 3 for him?

Hadn't really thought about it before.  Probably Brave Little Toaster and Galaxy Quest.  I have a lot of attachment to his Flintstones score for only nostalgic reasons.

If you haven't heard Dumbo Drop before you really are in for a treat.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

OMG, I  finally did it...

IMG_2715.JPG

How did you manage to get Angela's Ashes in both versions? I had to buy that score on Amazon three times, until I got the version without dialogue!

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

How did you manage to get Angela's Ashes in both versions? I had to buy that score on Amazon three times, until I got the version without dialogue!

Well, I asked to the seller if it was the Decca version or not! 😋

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What is the other label? Which one is with and which one without dialogue?

You know, a guy here, he did a superb discography...

LINK???

Seriously?  You don't see my signature?

No, this is the way I described the E.T. OST on my discography: *Mainly featuring concert arrangements based on the film's music, but this is not a re-recording.

Jurassic Shark, a re-recording is when a new set of separate recording sessions occur weeks or months later, potentially with a different orchestra, to record selections from a film score for an album because they don't want to assemble an album from the film cues.

In the case of ET, the concert arrangements were recorded along with all the film cues by the same orchestra in the same room with the same team.  That score happens to have more concert arrangements written than the average Williams score, but its still not a re-recording by any stretch of the imagination.

When it comes to JW, the only OST releases that were true re-recordings were Checkmate, Diamond Head, How To Steal  A Million, Not With My Wife You Don't, Penelope, Fitzwilly, Jaws, Missouri Breaks, and The Fury.

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Seriously?  You don't see my signature?

I switched them off in 2016 and don't know how to switch them back on. Completely forgot about signatures existing on this forum.

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

No, this is the way I described the E.T. OST on my discography: *Mainly featuring concert arrangements based on the film's music, but this is not a re-recording.

Well, in that case it might be superb.

Well, I made a joke that completely misfired.

Anyway, I don't think it's correct to use the term rerecording for any of the JW OSTs. I find it more suitable to say "recorded specifically for the OST", and it doesn't really matter whether or not it was recorded with the same musicians and at the same sessions.

To me, it doesn't make sense to call it a rerecording if different forces were involved, and not a rerecording when different arrangements were recorded. In both cases it sounds different from what's heard in the film.

Every John Williams score except for a handful have a combination of film cues and concert arrangements.  ET is no exception.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To me, it doesn't make sense to call it a rerecording if different forces were involved, and not a rerecording when different arrangements were recorded. In both cases it sounds different from what's heard in the film.

Don't make a Thor of yourself, one is enough!

I wonder... is E.T. actually the JW score with the most recorded and released "concert arrangements" (without counting the real re-recordings of course)? 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I wonder... is E.T. actually the JW score with the most recorded and released "concert arrangements" (without counting the real re-recordings of course)? 

C'mon Bes! You're the discographer aren't you? :)

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

If you mean on the OST, then ROTJ wins.

ET has 5 concert arrangements on the OST, while ROTJ has 5 1/2 (Parade of the Ewoks, Luke and Leia, The Forest Battle, Lapti Nek, Ewok Celebration, and part of Jabba The Hutt).

7 hours ago, Strangways said:

Master and Commander, Legends of the Fall and Harry Potter (first).

Found them in a charity shop, figured what the heck. Found some gems that way before. 

Legends of the Fall and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone are pretty great to put it mildly. I have never heard Master and Commander outside the film and can't remember very little of what I heard. But it is Christopher Gordon so it can't be all bad.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:11 PM, Disco Stu said:

Hadn't really thought about it before.  Probably Brave Little Toaster and Galaxy Quest.  I have a lot of attachment to his Flintstones score for only nostalgic reasons.

If you haven't heard Dumbo Drop before you really are in for a treat.

Love The Phantom myself. Probably my top DN score.

It was important for me to get this one, because it's truly a complete and real John Williams album, and moreover I count this CD as an original album of previously unreleased material.

:rock:

IMG_2721.JPG

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's the best Christopher Gordon score, IMO, and certainly better than one of the other scores you're mentioning. ;)

I saw it in HMV earlier but left it... is it worth it? 

33 minutes ago, Amer said:

These SACD babies arrived just as I was opening my brand new LLL set of TITANIC. 

So cool that SACD is still a thing.

So sad that I recently sold my SACD player.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

So cool that SACD is still a thing.

So sad that I recently sold my SACD player.

Sorry to hear. I have Denon blu ray player which plays SACD as well as DVD-A. But it's entry level high grade player and gets the mileage. But I'd love to upgrade to an OPPO 203/5. 

Made the decision to sell it as the only SACD titles I own are Kunzel 's Great Film Fantasies, E.T. 20th, Goldsmith's rejected Timeline and The Great Train Robbery (all of which are dual layer with CD capability). It was an easy decision as I have too many source components and barely use my hi-fi /home theatre anymore.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Made the decision to sell it as the only SACD titles I own are Kunzel 's Great Film Fantasies, E.T. 20th, Goldsmith's rejected Timeline and The Great Train Robbery (all of which are dual layer with CD capability). It was an easy decision as I have too many source components and barely use my hi-fi /home theatre anymore.

@davefg is looking for The Great Train Robbery.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@davefg is looking for The Great Train Robbery.

Just checked on Amazon and saw someone's selling a used copy for over $100! Are they smoking their socks or something?

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Just checked on Amazon and saw someone's selling a used copy for over $100! Are they smoking their socks or something?

SACDs always sell at high prices  in the secondary market once they sell out. I remember seeing E. T. 20th Anniversary selling for over $1200 on Amazon. Glad I got my copy in time. 

On 10/5/2018 at 8:20 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

It's the best Christopher Gordon score, IMO, and certainly better than one of the other scores you're mentioning. ;)

It's mostly glorified source music and cannot compare in the slightest to 'Moby Dick', 'On the Beach', 'Mao's Last Dancer' or that vampire movie which name i forgot.

Mostly? Over half the duration of the OST consists of original compositions! Regarding the source music, I find it very well chosen for the film. I especially like the contrast between the source music and the comparatively modern sounding score.