Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Picked up First Man today, it wasn't a score I was really looking to purchase, but stumbled across it at my local retail outlet. I haven't really listened to it outside of the film, but The Landing really is an outstanding piece! Plus the packaging is beautiful even if it doesn't contain any notes from Hurwitz or Chazelle.

I also ordered both How to Train Your Dragon 2 and How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, two tremendous scores that will complete my collection of all three films/scores.

Yeah pretty decent. It is from a relative unknown Jerrald Goldsmith.

I have been putting off acquiring this complete version for far too long seeing that it is one of my favourite JG scores. Vintage film noir music. 

The Wrath of Khan is actually pretty much the same case. I never got around to getting it until now. It is about time.

Apollo 13 has been on my Horner wishlist for quite some time. I was never happy with the original "souvenir" album with dialogue excerpts and period songs interspersed with Horner's score. Wonderful to see Intrada made it happen. 

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

Picked up First Man today, it wasn't a score I was really looking to purchase, but stumbled across it at my local retail outlet. I haven't really listened to it outside of the film, but The Landing really is an outstanding piece! Plus the packaging is beautiful even if it doesn't contain any notes from Hurwitz or Chazelle.

It's a digipak, correct?

5 hours ago, Holko said:

MusicBox packed an extra empty dual CD case - regardless of whether for extra padding or because EotS has a tiny crack in the bottom right, I'm thankful for it!

That is awesome!

War Horse. Good catch.

Pour moi:

Karajan: Beethoven Symphonies 7-9 

I believe you recommended this one @Bespin. Nothing beats Karajan conducting Beethoven on the Deutsche Grammophon label in a lovely jewel case with 40 page liner notes.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

War Horse. Good catch.

Pour moi:

I believe you recommended this one @Bespin. Nothing beats Karajan conducting Beethoven on the Deutsche Grammophon label in a lovely jewel case with 40 page liner notes.

Karajan and Beethoven you never do a mistake!

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Pour moi:

Which ones? I have the 60s cycle (his first on DG, as far as I know), and it's excellent.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Which ones? I have the 60s cycle (his first on DG, as far as I know), and it's excellent.

it's the 1963 jewel case 2-CD release of Beethoven's 7th, 8th, and 9th symphonies conducted by Herbert von Karajan. It's only the second volume of the set because I stumbled across it in a bargain bin. It didn't look like the rest of the set was there unfortunately. I will be listening tomorrow.

I now have Beethoven's 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th symphonies in full on physical CDs. Yeah!

10 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

it's the 1963 jewel case 2-CD release of Beethoven's 7th, 8th, and 9th symphonies conducted by Herbert von Karajan. It's only the second volume of the set because I stumbled across it in a bargain bin. It didn't look like the rest of the set was there unfortunately. I will be listening tomorrow.

Yes, that's the cycle I meant. I have 1-8 on four individual CDs (1 & 3, 2 & 4, 5 & 7, 6 & 8) in their first CD incarnations, the DG "Resonance" series with yellow spines and white inlays. Bought them in the mid-90s when I first got into soundtracks, classical music, and CD collecting, for 80 Austrian Shilling each I think. I picked up the 9th much later in the "Originals" series, although in that case I believe I do prefer Szell (despite Karajan having Janowitz).