Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On 8/22/2019 at 4:21 AM, Amer said:

So many releases and so little time. But it's fun. Got about 50-60 more releases to get to. All sealed up in my CD cabinet. 

I know the feeling. I think I'm about 400 releases behind (I have stuff that I bought 20 years ago that I still haven't listened to). I need to get my priorities straight ;)

14 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I know the feeling. I think I'm about 400 releases behind (I have stuff that I bought 20 years ago that I still haven't listened to). I need to get my priorities straight ;)

I understand. But when I select a title that I want to hear, (And that depends on the mood) I need to catch up with the all the internet forum hype and furor over a specific release just to familiarise myself and and then dive into the score. Did the same with AI last week, re-read all the QA with Jay and Matessino and then the discussions- it was fun and got me back in the listening mojo.

I have the above editions except IVANHOE. I had hoped that they would have issued a remastered edition like they did for the RIO CONCHOS and ISLANDS IN THE STREAM recordings. Still might get it next... 

Some New York purchases, including a fine selection of CDs picked up for good prices at Academy Records (and also The Departed on Blu-ray for $4, because my old copy has stopped working):

IMG_20190906_002037__01.jpg

I'd long been interested in the Walton Henry V, but always hesitated because of the narration. That's actually fine though (and not surprisingly, it's Plummer after all), and the interplay between words and music works very well to underline the dramatic turns in the composition. Also I was surprised how much material there is to the score that I wasn't aware of before (I'd only had a suite on CD).

The Mendelssohn is also a very happy find, as it's a first rate recording of one of my favourite choral works, one I didn't really expect to find another potential favourite recording of (so far it was Dohnanyi with the Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus and a strong but very American tenor).

The RVW disc completes my RVW/Gamba trio (I had it before, but only as an old CDR copy).

Also, from Amazon:

71-ssYNLWdL._SL1200_.jpg

Remastered (on Blu-ray), and with my favourite classical album cover image restored (my old CD box set just has a photo of Karajan on the covers).

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'd long been interested in the Walton Henry V, but always hesitated because of the narration. That's actually fine though (and not surprisingly, it's Plummer after all), and the interplay between words and music works very well to underline the dramatic turns in the composition. Also I was surprised how much material there is to the score that I wasn't aware of before (I'd only had a suite on CD).

These film music recordings with Marriner and the Academy are great! I hope you also get the two remaining entries!

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Mendelssohn is also a very happy find, as it's a first rate recording of one of my favourite choral works, one I didn't really expect to find another potential favourite recording of (so far it was Dohnanyi with the Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus and a strong but very American tenor).

It's a cool and underrated work. I've also got the Dohnanyi recording, and I'm about to check out Harnoncourt's, which is included in the 15 CD box set The Art of Harnoncourt. What's your thoughts on that one?

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

These film music recordings with Marriner and the Academy are great! I hope you also get the two remaining entries!

Which are those?

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a cool and underrated work. I've also got the Dohnanyi recording, and I'm about to check out Harnoncourt's, which is included in the 15 CD box set The Art of Harnoncourt. What's your thoughts on that one?

Funny you should mention that one, as you've listed exactly the three recordings I know.

I first heard the work in the Dohnanyi recording, which I got from the library some 20 years ago or so. Loved it, and put it on my Christmas wish list, though without requesting a specific recording. I got the Harnoncourt version, which is coupled with a suite from Midsummer Night's Dream (i.e. not complete, and annoyingly in German - I'll stick to the complete Previn recording). I didn't like it very much; it seemed rather lukewarm in it's pacing and (lack of) excitement (and Mendelssohn certainly did intend for at least some parts to be quite spectacular). (I generally find Harnoncourt hit and miss, though I do admire what he has done for music, conceptually) I got my own original copy of the Dohnanyi a while later and have been listening to that exclusively since, though I do mean to give the Harnoncourt another try someday.

The Masur is quite similar to Dohnanyi, but with some different phrasings and emphases, and (as I said) native German singers. Between this and his fantastic Paulus (with Theo Adam and Gundula Janowitz!), I'm interested in hearing more Masur Mendelssohn.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Which are those?

There's actually three more (I thought art first you har two of them, but now I see one of the albums is The Bear - how's that one?):

Battle of Britain

Hamlet

Richard III

All three albums also contain music from other films.

I'll stick to the complete Previn recording

I've recently started to look into Previn's EMI recording. It sounds great, but I probably prefer Ozawa's on DG. As a bonus, that one has narration by M!

I generally find Harnoncourt hit and miss

Couldn't agree more!

32 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

19/03/15: Order placed

19/07/23: Shipped

19/07/29: Arrived in Austria

19/08/13: Customs documents/invoice missing

19/08/14: Provided invoice

19/09/12: Customs cleared

19/09/17: Received

IMG_20190917_181452.jpg

Finally! And, of course, you're leaving for London so there's no time to listen this week. ;)

Karol

The Hangover is a classic, but I thought 2 was an extremely weak sequel.  I never saw III as as result until our plane ride to Europe last year for the JW concert; since it was free on the plane's system I checked it out.  It was better than II but still nothing special.  Have you already seen 2 and 3 before you decided to buy them?

On 9/25/2019 at 12:47 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Music & Video Exchange on Notting Hill Gate is always worth a visit:

DSC_2350_v1.JPG

Most of the Blu-rays were £1 or £2. (The books are from Heathrow airport)

Congrats - that's the best recording of Glass' 10th symphony!

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Hangover is a classic, but I thought 2 was an extremely weak sequel.  I never saw III as as result until our plane ride to Europe last year for the JW concert; since it was free on the plane's system I checked it out.  It was better than II but still nothing special.  Have you already seen 2 and 3 before you decided to buy them?

I've only seen the first one, in the theatre, where I found it very funny. I've had it on Blu for ages, but haven't watch it at home yet, and I do wonder if it's still as funny if I see it by myself (as opposed to a theatre full of other laughing people). I have no idea whether the sequels are any good at all, but I figured for one quid each it's an acceptable risk.

...in fact, the only of these film's I've seen before are The Post (in the theatre) and The LEGO Movie (I had it on Blu already, but not in 3D).

Watched The Adjustment Bureau the other day, which was nice enough. And wholly set in NYC, which was a welcome surprise after my recent holiday.

12 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Finally received John Carter! For only 20:

6000x6000.png

Oh, that probably means Intrada is going to announce the complete set within the next couple of weeks. ;)

Karol

2 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

The fact that I post here should answer that question. ;)

So, is it the nature of the John Williams fan or is it the nature of the forum user that gets no girls? Or is it the combination of both, the JWFan?