Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On 9/30/2019 at 12:58 AM, Brundlefly said:

So, is it the nature of the John Williams fan or is it the nature of the forum user that gets no girls? Or is it the combination of both, the JWFan?

It's John Williams.

On the website that I used to write film music reviews, one of my predecessors was a woman, named Viviane something (I forgot her last name, lol). She was a great reviewer and a fan of Alexandre Desplat, James Horner and I guess some of John Williams drama scores. I learned a lot about film music and discovered to many great scores because of her.

But indeed it's a little sad that film music fandom seems to be a sausage fest.

49 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

You recorded it? The album's cancelled!

I know, I should've filmed myself, filming myself, filming the concert. That's the only way to experience this.

I dit it finally!

R-3527728-1333995617.jpeg.jpg

The Poseidon Adventure/The Paper Chase [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1972/1973) (1998, Film Score Monthly, FSMCD Vol. 1, No. 2)

THE PAPER CHASE: Love Theme from The Paper Chase; The Passing of Wisdom; Bach: "Little Fugue" in G minor; Be Irrational; Kevin's House (source); Hart in a Hurry; Thinking of Susan / Kingsfield's Study / The Empty Classroom; Kevin's Tutor (source); To the Hotel; Telemann: Concerto in D Major (Allegro); Real Identity / Into the Sea; CONRACK: Main Title; THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE: Main Title; Rogo and Linda; To Love (source); The Big Wave; Raising the Christmas Tree; Death's Door; Search for the Engine Room; The Barber Shop; Death of Belle; Hold Your Breath; The Red Wheel; End Title. Previously unreleased original scores.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I remember I was disappointed by that Kunzel album. But three thumbs up for Mutter!

I mainly wanted this for The Sugarland Express cue which sounds much better to me than the version that Williams recorded. 

2 hours ago, Amer said:

I mainly wanted this for The Sugarland Express cue which sounds much better to me than the version that Williams recorded. 

The album also contains one of the few re-recordings of the Lost World theme although it feels a tad lacking in bite should I say.

The version of Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun on this album is also a really strange arrangement which is worthy of owning if for nothing else than its uniqueness. Perhaps they didn't have the official concert arrangement on hand so had to make due with this curious version.

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The album also contains one of the few re-recordings of the Lost World theme although it feels a tad lacking in bite should I say.

The version of Cadillac of the Skies from Empire of the Sun on this album is also a really strange arrangement which is worthy of owning if for nothing else than its uniqueness. Perhaps they didn't have the official concert arrangement on hand so had to make due with this curious version.

I never liked that version on the Williams Spielberg album but 'Im sure this one is a curiosity. I was curious about this only arrangement of the theme from The Lost World. I wish Williams had recorded this for their third Sony album.

2 minutes ago, Amer said:

I never liked that version on the Williams Spielberg album but 'Im sure this one is a curiosity. I was curious about this only arrangement of the theme from The Lost World. I wish Williams had recorded this for their third Sony album.

Oh that concert arrangement on Spielberg/Williams album is pure John Williams magic, a wonderful melding of two different choral cues from the score (one alternate actually) into this magnificent uplifting piece. The Kunzel version feels tacky in comparison.

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Oh that concert arrangement on Spielberg/Williams album is pure John Williams magic, a wonderful melding of two different choral cues from the score (one alternate actually) into this magnificent uplifting piece.

Eh, to me it's much less than the sum of its original parts - or even either of them on their own. Out to Sea/Shark Cage Fugue, on the other hand, is one of the most inspired decisions of genius I've ever heard!

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

It sounds more like a veggiesaurus than a meatosaurus.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not that familiar with him, but I do think that most romantic comedies have quite forgettable scores... maybe this is the exception. :)

Must confess, I haven't heard the score, but it was cheap and he has done some good work (love Dangerous Liaisons), so I figured why not?

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not that familiar with him, but I do think that most romantic comedies have quite forgettable scores... 

Not if George Fenton scores them.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the point of using three different fonts on the cover? Looks messy. 

To differentiate between the title, artist, and description.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In this case, less is more. ;)

Just take away few and it'll be perfect, right?

image.jpg

Collective pickups from the past few months. Rogue Nation and Lincoln both off of Amazon, everything else ridiculously cheap at a used and new records/CD shop.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:30 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

You should listen to more Yared. He's good.

I like his score for that WINGS OF DESIRE remake. Shit film, good score.

Agreed. I listened to Judy yesterday on Spotify and it's absolutely sublime! I'd love to hear his rejected take on Troy.