Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

As for specific comments about Daugherty (requested by Marian):

-Fire&Blood (violin concerto)

I have to listen to it more often to get more into it... it starts out pretty fun and energetic, and contains cool virtuoso violin writing (lots of double and triple stops), and some mexican elements which add spice in the second movement... mariachi sound and all :) My attention always wanes a bit during the third movement...

-MotorCity Triptych

Also a fun and energetic piece, several parts have a very film-music-like sound to them, sometimes there's a really captivating tension going, action music wise... The different soloists (trumpet, three trombones) in the 2nd and 3rd movement add some welcome diversity between the movements. As of now, I like this a bit better than the violin concerto :)

-Raise the Roof (timpani concerto)

The best piece on this disc, containing two contrasting themes, one of which especially manages to sound at times like medieval Gregorian chant, at others like George Gershwin :) Amazing timpani playing throughout (you can watch this on youtube by several performers), did I mention fun and energetic (two words fitting for most Daugherty piece I've heard yet)? Perhaps one reason I like this piece best here is the total length of 13 minutes, enough time to present a load of cool stuff, but constricted enough not to get too repetitive or incoherent.

So Marian, now it's your turn commenting on the Corigliano :P

I've emailed them several times over the course of the 4+ weeks it's taking them. Last week they said they would receive their shipment of Italian scores on Thursday, well it's Sunday and my order is still pending.

Another week has gone by and still pending. I'm done complaining, this is bullshit.

Sometimes SAE will ship your order and not update it until the day you receive the order.

I would suggest picking up the phone and airing your grievences with them instead of a message board. I'm sure there is a good reason as to why your order has not shipped.

Anyhoo, in going through my dad's belongings I have been sorting thru his CD collection and suprisingly found Varese's recording of The Last Of The Mohicans.

So I've added that to my collection along with Goldsmith's I.Q./Seconds from LaLaLand.

Sometimes SAE will ship your order and not update it until the day you receive the order.

Yeah, but it updated on My Orders page for my last shipment. I didn't get the shipment confirmation e-mail until an entire day after I received my package.

I ordered Ice Age 3, Da Vinci Code and Gods & Generals.

Every couple of months I have a sudden ethical spout, and look for any good deals on scores I don't technically own yet. I'm deliberating on Angels & Demons because the only track I routinely listen to is "Science and Religion", although since seeing the film I do enjoy the rest.

My current issue with buying music is that a lot of them (particularly from Varese) are only available either on CD for about £20 or can also be downloaded but for £8 or so. I think that's still too much for mp3s, particularly if it's a score that you don't listen to much, but still think the artist and label should receive something for.

My current issue with buying music is that a lot of them (particularly from Varese) are only available either on CD for about £20 or can also be downloaded but for £8 or so. I think that's still too much for mp3s, particularly if it's a score that you don't listen to much, but still think the artist and label should receive something for.

Digital downloads enable you to only buy the good stuff. This may sound like a terribly broad definition, but i hardly need more than 3 or 4 cuts from most albums - and the mp3 era has teached me to be choosy, especially with soundtracks. So this means i seldom pay more than 3 or 4 € per score on iTunes or amazon.

I've been listening to Night Before Christmas for Halloween, as well as this fantastic suite I found done by a string quartet:

Received my copy of Baaria yesterday. I don't know about you guys, but Koray and I got a great deal on this album!

YOU got it? What the fuck?! ;)

My original delivery estimate was the 27th-30th. But a couple days ago Amazon emailed me saying they had to delay my order. Now the estimate is like mid-November.

I personally would not be too worried about the delivery estimate. I noticed that Amazon.com has been extremely exaggerating estimated delivery dates as of recently, oftentimes estimating at least a month from the day one placed their order. It could be different in your case, however....

I placed the order for this awhile back, probably about a month. At first it was unavailable, then it said "usually ships in..." meaning they have it on order. The delivery estimate is most likely accurate because this CD is an import. I'm just confused because I know I placed my order before Joe, and he got his based on my first delivery estimate while it seems like I'm going to get mine on his. Joe, didn't you say over at FSM that for you it was November something?

Nixon is indeed great.

And thanks to Koray's notification, I was able to preorder a copy of Inspector Closeau. What a great (and unexpected) release!

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Rosenman

Legendary Hollywood: Miklos Rozsa - conducted by Bernstein

E.T. - Williams (the original album - it was AWESOME)

Inglourious Basterds - Various

Conan the Barbarian - Poledouris (expanded Varese album for just $20!)

Bought these from justthedisc.com 5 minutes ago:

Description Unit Price

The Patriot

Item # W001-188134

CartName: na $2.99

Born On The Fourth Of July

Item # W001-115194 $2.99

Jaws

Item # W001-201603 $2.99

Schindlers List

Item # W001-436034 $2.99

Catch Me If You Can (Academy Screener)

Item # W001-265597 $2.99

Always from eBay for $6, finally. Anxiously awaiting it, especially since re-watching some of the movie itself on TV. The only Spielberg/Williams collaboration left is Munich.

Also grabbed the "Joy to the World" Boston Pops CD, mostly for the Home Alone material. That should be fun.