Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Alien (2-disc)

Blue Max, The (complete)

Islands in the Stream

And if that wasn't enough Jerry, I also ordered Goldsmith Directs Goldsmith. I know a good bit of that is The Blue Max, but I don't have the other highlights at all.

I had two Tadlows in the order, but they were out of place, so I will order them another time.

Has anyone heard any of these two compilations from Carl Davis and the Royal Liverpool Phiharmonic?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Movie-Themes/dp/B001LZ47YS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Themes-Liverpool-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B0020LSWWK

Sounds like there could be some good performances on them, especially since Davis is a normally a superb conductor. I'm thinking of seeing what they did with Gladiator.

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, and I got a shitload of stuff since then. Not sure if I didn't forget something:

Michael Daugherty: Metropolis Symphony/Deus Ex Machina

Various: Dance Mix (includes Kernis' New Era Dance, Daugherthy's Desi and lots of other cool stuff)

Various: American Contrasts (includes Daugherthy's Hell's Angels)

Jason Webley: Viaje

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells - Version for two pianos and two synthesizers/Version for four pianos

Bruce Broughton: Last Rites

Bruce Broughton: Silverado

Don Davis: Warrios of Virtue

Michael Giacchino: The Incredibles

Michael Giacchino: Secret Weapons Over Normandy

Jerry Goldsmith: Freud

Jerry Goldsmith: Innerspace

Jerry Goldsmith: IQ/Seconds

Jerry Goldsmith: Rent-A-Cop

Lee Holdridge: In Search of Peace

James Newton Howard: The Fugitive

Jacques Loussier: Dark of the Sun

Dario Marianelli: V for Vendetta

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Cosi fan tutte (Jacobs cond.)

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Don Giovanni (Jacobs cond.)

James Peterson: The Red Canvas

Ottorino Respighi: Pini di Roma, Feste romane, Fonane di Roma (Ozawa cond.)

Lalo Schifrin: Bullit

Alan Silvestri: Back to the Future

Chris Tilton/Giacchino: Mercenaries

Richard Wagner: Lohengrin (Bychkov cond.)

Richard Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (DVD, Thielemann cond.)

John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy (Kojian cond.)

Some birthday stuff still in the mail. And I placed a new SAE order today.

Quite awesome. But of the three works, Feste is my favourite so far. Might just be because it's more "in your face" though, haven't had time to play them all that often yet. Too much music, to little time.

How is The Fugitive? I can't imagine what the expansion adds to it, the original album is damn good, and I never noticed any notable stuff left off.

Ordered Black Sunday and The Blue Max Group last night (or early this morning actually) from SAE.

Blue Max is sold out at Intrada and down to one per customer at SAE. Get it while you can.

How is The Fugitive? I can't imagine what the expansion adds to it, the original album is damn good, and I never noticed any notable stuff left off.

I don't know, honestly. I never had the original score. I've listened to this once so far, plus a couple of tracks separately, and so far I don't even recall what it sounds like. Music overload, I guess. Damn those limited releases always coming out three at a time.

I wonder if I'll actually buy any new scores this year... :)

The only new scores I bought last year were the Giacchinos and Red Canvas, I think.

I don't think Giacchino has anything upcoming this year. Well anything that's new. I imagine Varese will release another season of Lost.

After hearing the praise for Fantastic Mr. Fox, I listened to some samples. It sounded really good, so I got it. Sounds great so far, very different.

How can anybody not like Black Sunday?! :blink::D

I've listened to it only once some time ago and while I cannot say I didn't like it, I wasn't overwhelmed. Some of the best parts were merely shadows of CE3K. Still, it is a good score, superior to some recent JW's output in that vein, mainly MR, WotW (not to mention that of other composers). As for Munich comparison, Black Sunday wins in the category of tension and suspense, but it lacks the lyrical part (there was nothing like Prayer for Peace or Thoughts of Home). So far, I am undecided whether to buy this or not. I have other priority purchases to make in JW discography.

Not everyone buys everything because it's Williams.

Not everyone for sure, but let's be frank - many (or is it most?) of us do. ;)

With "how can anybody not like BS" I meant more how hard and long many of us soundtrack junkies have been waiting for this holy grail to FINALLY come out, so now when we can FINALLY lay our hands on it, it seems almost like a sin to not like it. ;) But of course, as we hear it sung in The Godfather - to each his own. ;)

I have other priority purchases to make in JW discography.

And which are these if I may ask? :)

Not everyone buys everything because it's Williams.

Not everyone for sure, but let's be frank - many (or is it most?) of us do. ;)

With "how can anybody not like BS" I meant more how hard and long many of us soundtrack junkies have been waiting for this holy grail to FINALLY come out, so now when we can FINALLY lay our hands on it, it seems almost like a sin to not like it. ;) But of course, as we hear it sung in The Godfather - to each his own. ;)

I have other priority purchases to make in JW discography.

And which are these if I may ask? :)

Well, I plan to eventually buy Cinderella Liberty and ... Close Encounters (yes I know, shame on me that I don't own this already, but I must confess in my defense it didn't use to be a score I would have listened to on regular basis some years ago ;))

Well, I plan to eventually buy Cinderella Liberty and ... Close Encounters (yes I know, shame on me that I don't own this already, but I must confess in my defense it didn't use to be a score I would have listened to on regular basis some years ago ;))

You might have a hard time finding CE3K - e. g. SAE doesn't have it, Amazon.com has "2 new from $199.81" (:)) and Amazon.co.uk has "2 new from £44.99". ;) Hope you find it cheap somewhere, but my advice would be to try and find it ASAP.

Perfect, but unfortunately, Amazon.com doesn't ship used items to all destinations, e. g. to Slovenia. Not sure about Poland and the other EU countries, or maybe about Amazon.co.uk.

Perfect, but unfortunately, Amazon.com doesn't ship used items to all destinations, e. g. to Slovenia. Not sure about Poland and the other EU countries, or maybe about Amazon.co.uk.

I haven't checked it myself, but I know they don't ship things from other sellers to Poland.

Finally received my copy of Avatar soundtrack, am giving it a first spin this evening and according to what I've read (especially on this forum), I'm expecting a lot! :D

I just made some JW-oriented long-delayed purchases: The Phantom Menace UE, The River ( ;) ) and Ciderella Liberty. Black Sunday has to wait, not to mention I am out of money (which I could spend on music) for some longer period.

You bought TPM UE in lieu of Black Sunday? Um...

Yep. Out of these 3 scores, I find The Phantom Menace the best, even though UE kind of sucks. Anyway, this's one of my favourite scores of all time, so this was right time (since I found it used and at bargain price) to buy it, at least to have these couple unreleased highlights like Anakin's Free or Tide Turns. If Black Sunday cost $10 I would not hesitate either. Since it doesn't, I went for uber-limited The River (I guess it was the last piece of it at SAE) and Cinderella Liberty (3000<10000).

Apparently I haven't posted to this thread since September! Since then I've gotten:

October 12 2009:

-House Of Hards

-Escape From The Planet Of The Apes

-IQ/Seconds

from moviemusic w/ $1 shipping

Oct 29 2009

-Extreme Close-Up

-Monsignor

-Far And Away

-Drag Me To Hell

used from moviemusic for $4!

Nov 25 2009

-Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan expanded

-Back To The Future

-The Patriot

Dec 1 2009

-The Fugitive expanded

-Innerspace

direct from La La Land

Jan 19 2010

-The Blue Max (Intrada)

-Islands In The Stream (FSM)

-Freud (Varese)

The sad part is that out of all those releases, Back To The Future, TWOK, and Drag Me To Hell are the only one I've had time to listen to so far! Eeep!

As far as non-film-scores, I've recently gotten

-Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue

-Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

-Muse - The Resistance

Oct 2009 from amazon

-Weezer - Raditude (2CD Deluxe)

-Weird Al Yankovick - The Essential Weird Al Yankovick

Nov 2009 from amazon

Black Friday at Target for $6.50 each:

-Pearl Jam - Backspacer

-The Doors - Greatest Hits

-311 - Greatest Hits