Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I've never seen them. My father had plenty of CDs bought before '93 (I only started buying them in '94), and I've never ever seen something like this. If it really was the norm, it must have been a US thing.

What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?

WHAT?

Pretty much every CD before 1993 came in those damn long boxes.

What?

I watch too much SLJ...

Or could it be because you just saw Pulp Fiction for the first time like last week?

Pretty much every CD before 1993 came in those damn long boxes.

What?

I watch too much SLJ...

Or could it be because you just saw Pulp Fiction for the first time like last week?

Haha, perhaps a combination of the two!

I don't really recall seeing CDs in boxes like that outside of Sam's Club. But I do remember some of my first CDs (and cassettes) as a kid, Muppet albums and Disney soundtracks and the like, coming on tall blister packs.

I still have about 20 CD longboxes. Mostly soundtracks. I thought about selling them, but they have a bit of sentimental value. Two of them were my first ever CD purchases, back in the summer of 1987: Innerspace and Star Trek the Motion Picture. I have some pretty cool ones... Star Trek IV, V, VI, Jaws 2, Last Crusade, Batman, Dick Tracy, Willow, Planet of the Apes, BTTF II and III. They made browsing in the store a lot easier because you could flip 'em quickly. Course they took up more inventory space. Those were the days.

Well, they are already cheaper here.

Cheaper than a CD?

For some reason, everyone thinks they can charge more for media in the UK. Some 'economic factors' bullcrap.

Your digital downloads cost more than a CD? Then what's the point?

The point is the satisfaction of knowing your digital download is good for the environment. That's one less plastic disc to end up in a dump, a little less gas burned driving the mail truck to your house, a little less...aww, who am I kidding.

I suppose with MP3, you can get it straight away, without having to wait a couple of days (and potentially paying packaging costs on top). You just have to decide how much you care about lossless and having a physical copy, which is one reason why I like MP3, as I can make my own cover art for them (not that I can't really do that with normal CDs).

They do need to be cheaper, though.

So for an increased cost, you're buying a lesser quality product from an audio standpoint, without any solid master backup in case you delete or corrupt what you downloaded, and aren't able to re-download for free...the perk is that you get it without having to wait.

So for an increased cost, you're buying a lesser quality product from an audio standpoint, without any solid master backup in case you delete or corrupt what you downloaded, and aren't able to re-download for free...the perk is that you get it without having to wait.

For today's impatient kids, yeah I'd say so. I only buy them when the physical copy is unavailable at a decent price (i.e. not extortionate) or is significantly lower-priced than the CD, which does happen on occasion.

Cheaper than a CD?

For some reason, everyone thinks they can charge more for media in the UK. Some 'economic factors' bullcrap.

Your digital downloads cost more than a CD? Then what's the point?

Exactly. Avatar cost £7 on CD from Amazon UK. The digital download is £8. I've yet to hear a good reason for it.

I've bought quite a lot for various reasons - sometimes the CD is more expensive or unavailable, or it may be a score I don't care enough about physically owning.

Avatar cost £7 on CD from Amazon UK. The digital download is £8. I've yet to hear a good reason for it.

Well how much does shipping and handling cost? If it costs more than £1, the digital download is the better deal costwise.

Because the digital download does not require the physical materials that a real CD needs -- disc, case, paper artwork, shipping materials -- if the company keeps the price comparable to the physical merchandise, they get a higher profit on the digital product.

Cheaper than a CD?

Yes, cheaper than a CD, to give you two recent examples, Avatar is $220 (about 16.8 dollars) on CD and is $110 (about 8.4 dollars) on iTunes. Sherlock Holmes is $190 (14.5 dollars) on CD and $120 (9.2 dollars) on iTunes.

And those examples are for national releases, with import CDs there's no comparison. Although I want the CD, I'm seriously considering downloading "The Wolfman" for about 9.2 dollars, as the import, (based on what I paid for Star Trek, another Varese release) will probably end up costing around 27 dollars in stores.

There is a dark side to digital downloads in Mexico however as many CDs that are on iTunes US are not on the mexican iTunes, for example, Disney stuff, which is why I object to download only releases.

I've been able to re-download from Amazon MP3. One track came through with skipping sounds in it...they allowed me to re-download...and when the skipping was still present, they refunded my order (I think) without telling me to delete the files or anything. ;)

It's a digital download only. However, the soundtracks for both games came with the Special Edition of BioShock 2. I don't know if there's a CD there of if it comes with a code or something to download it online. I do know that the first game's soundtrack is on a LP though.

I looked it up online, and yes, the soundtrack is on a physical CD in the Special Edition of the game. But just to let you know, it's not the score. Just songs from the game, which are from like the 30s and 40s.

I don't know if the vinyl of the first soundtrack is the score or songs though. Most likely songs. I did find online though, that the score is being planned for release. But hey, they say that for every game these days.

Another FYI, the Special Edition is $100. I would have gotten it myself if it were more in the $80 area.

EDIT

The vinyl is indeed the score from the first game, at least that's what I gather from this picture:

62562.jpg

I can easily read "Ocean On His Shoulders," "Welcome To Rapture," and "Cohen's Masterpiece," all of which are cues from the mp3s put up on Garry Schyman's website.

I looked it up online, and yes, the soundtrack is on a physical CD in the Special Edition of the game. But just to let you know, it's not the score. Just songs from the game, which are from like the 30s and 40s.

I don't know if the vinyl of the first soundtrack is the score or songs though. Most likely songs. I did find online though, that the score is being planned for release. But hey, they say that for every game these days.

Another FYI, the Special Edition is $100. I would have gotten it myself if it were more in the $80 area.

Oh, yikes. Maybe I'll just stick to what I have and what's out for download then...

Ordered the new Kritzerland release, along with Rhapsody of Steel.

Hmmm...you don't quite seem excited enough for someone who just listened to one of the greatest film scores of all time. :)

Yes. You should be enjoying it more.

Hmmm...you don't quite seem excited enough for someone who just listened to one of the greatest film scores of all time. :)

It's getting better! There are definitely other scores I much prefer, but that's just because they're so freakin' good, not because there's anything wrong with Hook. I'm a little surprised by how straightforwardly Stavinsky-esque some of the passages are, and the cutesy songs can be grating on some levels, but it's overall a very solid score. "You Are The Pan" is breathtaking...which is funny, because in the context of the film, I remember that cue seemed ridiculously melodramatic. When it's no longer chained to the film, my mind is free to come up with more meaningful images to accompany the soundscape. (I must say, that suspended chord William throws in at 1:09 is very, very effective, simply because Williams doesn't usually resort to such obvious guilty-pleasure harmonic choices, and my ear both expects it and doesn't expect it in that sort of context.

I got the scores to two episodes of Star Trek and the musical Beauty and the Beast.

I kinda hate to admit it, but I love that one. I played keyboard for a production of it a couple years ago. Great fun. Some of the added songs are unnecessary, for sure, but "If I Can't Love Her" ... Mmmmm.

I just bought Jane Eyre and The Reivers. It cost more monet than I would've liked--65 and 25, respectively--but I doubt I'll ever see them offered at such "low" prices. And I liked what I heard on Amazon's samples.

My two delayed birthday CDs arrived a couple of days ago:

Kernis: Symphony in Waves/Newly Drawn Sky/Too Hot Toccata (Grant Park Orchestra, Kalmar)

Kernis: Second Symphony/Musica Celestis/Invisible Mosaic (City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Wolff)

Great stuff. If you like The Matrix, you might want to check them out.

I just bought Jane Eyre and The Reivers. It cost more monet than I would've liked--65 and 25, respectively--but I doubt I'll ever see them offered at such "low" prices. And I liked what I heard on Amazon's samples.

I saw The Reivers for like $10 on eBay once. Unfortunately I forgot about it, and was a little annoyed when it sold for only $25. I haven't been able to find Jane Eyre for less than like $200.

Just hope they don't get re-released at some point.

That happened to me years ago. Intrada had released Poltergeist II as a 30 min CD and then released an expanded version. I had the original and finally found the expanded at a price I could live with. I'll be damned if two weeks later Varese announced they were releasing a deluxe edition of Poltergeist II.

I saw The Reivers for like $10 on eBay once. Unfortunately I forgot about it, and was a little annoyed when it sold for only $25. I haven't been able to find Jane Eyre for less than like $200.

Huh, man, now I see how lucky I must have been - I've bought Jane Eyre in HMV in London back in 2005 for like 10 or 15 GBP. :P My most expensive single CD buy so far was Morricone's The Thing which cost me $75 from SAE, but I just had to have it. ;)

Yeah, that's exactly why I bought them. But hey, you got the Fury for 80 dollars, you can't be complaining... ;)

And yes Mark, that would kind of suck if they were re-released within the next year... :P

Most expensive single CD I've ever bought was Jane Eyre for 65 bucks.

Two SAE orders arrived today. Or rather, one did, and the other had been sitting at the post office since the beginning of February... apparently, the notification slip had gotten lost. They would've sent it back next Monday if I hadn't turned up and asked if perhaps they had a package for me.

Coraline (Coulais)

Memphis Belle (Fenton)

The Family Stone (Giacchino)

The Blue Max (Goldsmith)

Coma/The Carey Treatment/Westworld (Goldsmith, Budd, Karlin)

Islands in the Stream (Goldsmith)

Players (Goldsmith)

Bernard Herrmann: The Film Scores (LA Philharmonic, Salonen)

Into Thin Air (Holdrige)

Once Upon a Time in America (Morricone)

The Blue Lagoon (Poledouris)

Wind/A Whale for the Killing (Poledouris)

Black Sunday (Williams)

I suppose it'll take me all weekend to get through them.

Two SAE orders arrived today. Or rather, one did, and the other had been sitting at the post office since the beginning of February... apparently, the notification slip had gotten lost. They would've sent it back next Monday if I hadn't turned up and asked if perhaps they had a package for me.

Coraline (Coulais)

Memphis Belle (Fenton)

The Family Stone (Giacchino)

The Blue Max (Goldsmith)

Coma/The Carey Treatment/Westworld (Goldsmith, Budd, Karlin)

Islands in the Stream (Goldsmith)

Players (Goldsmith)

Bernard Herrmann: The Film Scores (LA Philharmonic, Salonen)

Into Thin Air (Holdrige)

Once Upon a Time in America (Morricone)

The Blue Lagoon (Poledouris)

Wind/A Whale for the Killing (Poledouris)

Black Sunday (Williams)

I suppose it'll take me all weekend to get through them.

You actually ordered all of these at once? :P If so, nice ;)

Karol

No. Two orders. That's why there's plenty of filler stuff in them. Filler meaning stuff I've never heard but expect to be good, or always wanted but never got around to ordering.

I generally place orders of around 6 to 8 discs at SAE to balance the shipping costs. Just realised that these total to 13 albums. Am I lucky or what. :)

Recently, I bought 3 CDs: Holst's The Planets performed on organs by Hugh Banton, Liszt's transcriptions of Beethoven's 7th and 8th symphony (until recently I never knew those existed) and, last but certainly not least, Soundtrack Highlights by John Williams as performed by Göteborg Wind Orchestra conducted by Alexander Hanson.

DHR%2004-027-3.jpg

It's this last CD that I want to elaborate on a little bit. The fact is that I've never heard such great arrangements and transcriptions of JW's music being performed by the wind orchestra with such virtuosity, brilliance, gusto, enthusiasm and temperament, not even by the great Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra (Göteborg Wind Orchestra is also a professional band). I have myself been a concert band member and a wind music fan for almost 15 years now and this is definitely one of the very best wind music CDs I've heard - and I've heard LOTS of them. :) It's enough to listen to the Star Wars Main Title, The Flag Parade from TPM (now this one is as virtuosic as it gets, I could mistake it for the original! :D) or Jurassic Park Soundtrack Highlights, the Journey to the Island part and Welcome to Jurassic Park piano solo are TERRIFIC! So hats off to all musicians, the conductor and to the whole recording team who all did a great job.

So, to cut the long story short, I can't recommend this CD enough to all fans of John Williams, wind music, or both. Seen as how most of you guys and gals fit into at least one of the aforementioned categories, I thought I'd share it with you all. ;) It's possible to buy the CD from De Haske (click) but unfortunately, there are no samples to listen to.

P. S.: How can I make the CD image smaller? :)