Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Ah, it's always exciting to find an obscure JW title in a physical CD store.

With the rise of the internet retailers such moments are few and far between nowadays though. The joy of discovering something unexpected, making a find. But on the other hand it is now much easier just to get what you want so I am not actually complaining. But that was a fun aspect of collecting back in the day when everything wasn't just one click away.

xv_i.png

It was inevitable that I'd eventually order this one, despite already owning the Rhino, the Sony 2-Disc form the early 90's, and Rozsa's London re-recording.

"One God, that I can understand; but one release of Ben-Hur? That is not civilized! It is not generous!"

A quick stop at MovieMusic:

Stargate Continuum (J. Goldsmith)

Stargate Atlantis (J. Goldsmith)

Turbulence (Walker)

I was surprised the two Goldsmiths were still available...

True, but I remember looking for those two a while ago via the other online stores. Either they were sold out (FreeClyde), the used ones were horribly expensive (Amazon) or they just weren't sold there.

But I don't remember checking out MovieMusic earlier to find the Stargate titles...

Bought Varese's release of JW's Midway. I already have the rerecording, but I know I'm going to get this at somepoint, so I might as well get it when it's on sale for $15!

Also bought on Amazon MP3 the double feature On the Town/Anchors Aweigh soundtracks. I have Bernstein's original for the former, but the film version is almost completely different--they only kept three of his melodies. Never heard or seen a note of Anchors Aweigh, so I'm excited! Only 6.99 for 24 tracks.

Midway is a great purchase indy4, especially with that reduced price. And I would say it is great that we have the re-recording and the original to complement each other. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Received yesterday:

Bill Conti - Masters of the Universe (Intrada)

Michael Kamen - Crusoe (Quartet)

Alan Silvestri - Clean Slate / The Perez Family (Music Box)

I'm finally running out of good music to buy and getting some Zimmer instead. ;)

Nah, those should be good ones. But I really should cut back. And not just because the customs office grabbed this latest pile and wanted their share.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered from Movie Music

The Delta Force (expanded) (Quartet Records MS023) qty = 1 $19.99 each
Sebastian (expanded) (Intrada Special Collection Volume 250) qty = 1 $19.99 each
Mona Lisa / Castaway (Quartet Records SCE068) qty = 1 $19.99 each

Items Subtotal: $59.97
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $1.00
Order Total: $60.97

AS it happens I recently listened to the FSM Poltergeist 1, so I'm looking forward to hearing the sequel score now. I've never owned or heard any of the prior 4 releases, so I'm looking forward to digging into the definitive presentation. Too bad it doesn't include the LP arrangement on the second disc though.

...and a fantastic score it is, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I remember, the LP tracks are about the same length, although "Reaching Out" is slightly edited. The "vomit creature" track, is shortened by about 2 minutes. "The Power", "Late Call", and "The Smoke", are pretty much what you hear on the varese. I don't own the new c.d yet.

No one owns the new CD yet, it hasn't shipped yet. Kritzerland likes to take your money weeks before the CDs are ready.

Isn't it like TicketMaster? You give them money for a ticket to an event that won't happen for some time in the future, just so you can reserve a seat without having to pay more for one closer to the event when the limited number sells out?

The question would be when your credit card is charged. Truth is, I never care. I figure once I make the purchase, I assume the money is gone, whether it's now or actually later.

Anyway, most of them shipped yesterday and the rest of is expected to be dealt with today. And apparently there is one person responsible for sending out all1500 CD's. All I can say: good job to whoever that is- must be a lot of work.

Karol

A number of "finally" purchases:

Players - Jerry Goldsmith

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

The Fury - John Williams

Family Plot - John Williams

Origin of Symmetry - Muse

Originally back in 2002 I bought the LE version of the TTT soundtrack instead of the standard, because of the extra FOTR EE music on it. I only found out later that two of the tracks were shortened on that version. So for years I had the standard FOTR and ROTK, and LE TTT. Luckily I rectified that a few years back by winning a free standard TTT from an FSM thread, and now I am finally going ahead and getting the FOTR and ROTK ones because, well why not, I already have the TTT and AUJ ones. Plus, ROTK has the whole DVD that I've never seen.

When I get a steady income with enough money to spend I might consider getting those fake-leather collectors editions for completeness' sake (and for Use Well the Days). At the moment those are not a priority on my list though.

Wait, there's music on the OSTs that are not on the Complete Recordings?

Well duh! Yes the OSTs all contain considerable amount of alternates.

Now now. Koray just might not be wise to the ways of the soundtrack world yet. ;)'

In all honesty not everybody have the same burning passion for every nano second of LotR music ever recorded and made available in every possible source. As weird as that may sound.