Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Grabbed HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON on CD and E.T. on vinyl.

I cannot get enough of How to Train Your Dragon.

Agreed. It's been a staple in the car and iPod since its release.

Well there was slim pickings in HMV, and I've heard so many people on here rave about it, so I took the plunge (which I rarely do without listening first in these days of mp3s).

I have been to every single brick and mortar store in the four county area, and nobody had it in the store. So I placed an order at MM last week, along with RoboCop and Dragonslayer for the $1 shipping, and How to Train Your Dragon showed up before either of the other two.

I look forward to listening to it.

Also, this isn't a soundtrack, but I bought an awesome VHS boxset of THE IRON GIANT for £1 in a charity shop. Obviously not interested in the tape itself, but what's awesome is that it came with a figure of the giant and a copy of the original Ted Hughes book.

Ordered ID4 and Poseidon as soon as I got home yesterday.

Mark also generously passed on some of his older OSTs to me that have gotten expanded releases so I can check them out before getting them.

Well there was slim pickings in HMV, and I've heard so many people on here rave about it, so I took the plunge (which I rarely do without listening first in these days of mp3s).

I gave up on physical stores years ago - I'm honestly surprised HMV bothers stocking soundtracks at all nowadays.

Independence Day - David Arnold (LaLaLand)

The Poseidon Adventure - John Williams (LaLaLand)

Dutch - Alan Silvestri

The Miracle Worker - Laurence Rosenthal

RoboCop - Basil Poledouris (Intrada)

- The Poseidon Adventure

- The Reivers

- Marathon Man/The Parallax View

- Robocop

- Batman: The Movie

Received today! :P

Bought in London:

- John Rutter - Mass of the Children

- Gustav Holst - The Planets for 2 pianos

- Franz Joseph Haydn - Nelson Mass, St. Nicholas Mass

- Max Steiner - Casablanca

- Howard Shore - The Silence of the Lambs

- The Poseidon Adventure

- The Reivers

- Marathon Man/The Parallax View

- Robocop

- Batman: The Movie

Received today! :P

Bought in London:

- John Rutter - Mass of the Children

- Franz Joseph Haydn - Nelson Mass, St. Nicholas Mass

- Max Steiner - Casablanca

- Howard Shore - The Silence of the Lambs

What were you diong in London? Anything nice? BTW, do you realise that the picture of you playing the drums makes you look like a young Vinnie Colaiuta? Just thought I'd mention it.

What were you diong in London? Anything nice? BTW, do you realise that the picture of you playing the drums makes you look like a young Vinnie Colaiuta? Just thought I'd mention it.

It sure was nice for I spent most of my time browsing music, films and books in London's great stores (HMV, Foyle's ...) and listening to the magnificent London Symphony Orchestra in the Barbican, where I was glad to meet Jim Ware again. :)

Haha, nobody ever told me I looked like Colaiuta - I certainly don't sound like him and probably never will, but hey, I'm sure doing my best! :D

It sure was nice for I spent most of my time browsing music, films and books in London's great stores (HMV, Foyle's ...) and listening to the magnificent London Symphony Orchestra in the Barbican, where I was glad to meet Jim Ware again. :)

Haha, nobody ever told me I looked like Colaiuta - I certainly don't sound like him and probably never will, but hey, I'm sure doing my best! :D

Glad you had a nice time. Yeah, Vinnie, is a tough (impossible?) act to follow, but a great drummer to emulate. All this has put me in the mood for "I'm Tweaked/Attack Of The 20 lbs Pizza"!

Metropolis Symphony/Deus Ex Machina by Michael Daugherty (Naxos)

I was alrady familiar with the first piece. This is a fun, entertaining music. I think I like this version even better. The second piece is also nice (it sounds familiar though). A fine CD overall.

Karol

I came home from vacation to find the Korean LP of Hook waiting for me! It's a pretty cool collectible I hope to get John Williams to sign for me the next time I see the Boston pops

After playing some disc golf with friends, I came back to find today's mail had arrived, and my package from La La Land with ID4, Poseidon Adventure, and my signed ID4 booklet in it. Yay!

This sounds intriguing. Details please!

As you probably know, Holst originally scored The Planets for piano duet (only Neptune was written for solo organ), orchestration was only done by him later (and with the help of some of his students (particularly in writing it out, because of his painful neuritis)). So after having listened to many "regular", large orchestra versions, I became very interested in the original, two pianos version which is in itself also very fascinating, as it's most interesting hearing this great work in its concept form. So far, I have this and this recording and I recommend both of them warmly, especially of course to The Planets fans.

I must've known about the original piano version (it sounds vaguely familiar), but I had completely forgotten about it. I have to hear this (I generally like transcriptions of orchestral works for 2 pianos... I still have to track down a recording of Sacre du printemps). Which of the two recordings you linked to would you prefer, if any? I'm still wary of 90s Naxos recordings, I have to admit.

What about RSNO Naxos recording. Is it any good?

My favourite was always Mehta/Los Angeles Philharmonic recording.

Karol

I'm awaiting for Poseidon ad, monsignor, none but the brave, how to steal a million-bachelor flat to arrive :lol:

Well... Monsignor, none but the brave and steal a million, just arrived. US to europe in 4 days. Amazing customer service, SAE. :P

But no Poseidon adventure that shipped two days earlier. I smell lost package ;) Damn.

How to Steal a Million is great. Monsignor is a nice score also. None but the Brave has some highlights, but overall I find it rather boring.

I love Monsignor! It seems underrated around here. None But the Brave is incredibly boring though.

Got Poseidon Adventure and Independence Day today.

Just ordered Crimson Tide (used) and Independence Day, on a little bit of an impulse. Realized I had more funds to work with than I thought, so I thought I'd spend a whopping $6 on the former...and then figured I may as well get the latter while I still could, too.

Lost: Season 5 - Michael Giacchino

Robin Hood - Marc Streitenfeld

Ordered the following:

The Alamo (3CD Complete) - Dimitri Tiomkin

L'Avventuriero (GDM Complete) - Ennio Morricone

White Lightening - Charles Bernstein

Which of the two recordings you linked to would you prefer, if any?

To me, the Nettle & Markham version is slightly better, but also the Naxos CD is great so you can't miss with either of them.

What about RSNO Naxos recording. Is it any good?

It's good. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a masterpiece but rest assured that it ranks among the better The Planets recordings. However, my personal favourite is (and will always remain) Charles Dutoit's recording with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra. One of the finest classical CDs ever, in terms of performance and interpretation as well as recording and listening quality. :)

Ordered yesterday from SAE:

- A Guide For the Married Man

- JAG

- The Pianist

And from La La Land:

- Lost in Space (2 CD)

- Spaceballs

- Blazing Saddles

- Childs Play

- Not Without My Daughter

Just ordered from Movie Music:

Monsignor

Images

Amazing Stories Anthologies 1 and 3

The Witches of Eastwick

A score whose price was far higher than I would ever otherwise pay...

This is round 1 of a beating my bank account will be taking over the next few weeks when I also order Superman: The Music, Black Sunday and possibly a few other limited editions.

;)

April 21 Amazon.com order

1 Fringe $13.99 1 $13.99

1 Lost: Season 5 $12.99 1 $12.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Item Subtotal: $26.98

Shipping and handling: $3.97

Super Saver Discount: $-3.97

Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00

Promotion Applied: $0.00

Total: $26.98

May 10 moviemusic.com order:

1 of Eraser (expanded) @ $19.99 each

1 of A Guide for the Married Man @ $19.99 each

1 of Cinderella Liberty @ $19.99 each

AMOUNT BILLED : $60.97

May 14 La La Land order

NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER LLLCD1075 1 9.98

LOST IN SPACE LLLCD1042 1 9.98

EXTREME PREJUDICE LLLCD1028 1 4.98

TAKING WOODSTOCK LLLCD1104 1 4.98

Subtotal 29.92

Shipping 7.00

Tax 0.00

Total 36.92

9 scores I don't have for $124.87 = $13.87 each... not too shabby!

Deputy Riley on FSM is selling some CD's and I'll be getting the following from him...

The Italian Job - Powell

X-Men 3 - Powell

The Abyss - Silvestri

U.S. Marshals - Goldsmith

I haven't paid for them yet but I will when I get paid on June 2nd so they're on hold for me for the time being. I was hoping he'd still have Tyler's Timeline but he doesn't any more but that's cool, I think that's still available from Varese. Total for all four CD's are $32 with shipping.

All are considered "In Very Good Condition" according to Riley. Looking forward to getting them into my collection. The only one I had before was The Abyss, however, it was one of the casualties before I moved from Vegas. It'll be nice to have it again.

Battle Beyond the Stars - Ebay for $20. There's still a few more available.

The Cowboys - Ebay for $15

Both are major grails for me, and I'm glad to have scored them at reasonable prices.

My order from Movie Music arrived. I now own The Towering Inferno! So ecstatic to fill so many gaps here between that, the Amazing Stories anthologies and the wonderful Images and Monsignor. It's not over yet, unfortunately for my wallet.

I just watched Towering Inferno for the first time last week. The Main Titles are absolutely stunning. I have this wish/feeling that it will get re-released.

Just got my copy of Battle Beyond the Stars in the mail. VERY relieved it wasn't one of the later CD-R copies GNP released.

I got a little (geeky) surprise inside the jewel case. (For those who care about such things)

bbts1.jpg

bbts2.jpg

From Play, taking advantage of a "2 for 1" sale where the total price for any two discs in the sale was actually slightly less than the price for the Who album alone would have been:

Blur: Blur

The Who: Quadrophenia

And Amazon.at had (or has) a huge opera sale, so I ordered these last weekend:

4629610841_64fa14a95a_b.jpg

Bernstein: Mass (Alsop)

Bernstein: Candide (Bernstein)

Bartok: Bluebeard's Castle (Dorati)

Bruckner: Mass No.1 (Matt)

Cilea: Adriana Lecouvreur (Levine)

Debussy: Pelleas et Melisande (Boulez)

Faure: Penelope (Dutoit)

Glass: Satyagraha (Keene)

Janacek: The Cunning Little Vixes (Mackerras)

Janacek: Jenufa (Mackerras)

Janacek: Kata Kabanova (Mackerras)

Prokofiev: War and Peace (Rostropovich)

Puccini: Il Trittico (Maazel)

Schoenberg: Moses und Aron (Gielen)

Strauss: Ariadne auf Naxos (Sinopoli)

Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie (Sinopoli)

Strauss: Elektra (Sinopoli)

Strauss: Elektra (Solti)

Thomas: Mignon (Almeida)

Some of these are replacing old CDRs, some of these I've wanted for some years, and some others I've never heard but thought looked interesting. This should keep me busy for the rest of the year... aside from all those limited soundtrack releases, I'll try to pick up little more new music over the next few months.

No, it was sealed and new, with a spine sticker on it.

Must have been a manufacturing error. Mine has a clear tray in it.

The Alamo (re-recording)

The Alamo turned out incredible. I like their El Cid recording better, simply because I like the score better - but this one is just outstanding, flawless. You'll enjoy it!

Recently got Craig Armstrong's 2-disc The Incredible Hulk. Been meaning to since it came out, especially to support these kinds of releases. Listening to it now... it's really good!

Also, I did something I never do: I paid a somewhat high price for an OOP CD on eBay. (Although under $50 isn't too bad, for this, IMO.) It was FSM's The Paper Chase/The Poseidon Adventure. I figured if I was ever going own The Paper Chase, I should go for it now while there's a few of these on the market.