Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

On 16/01/2018 at 5:45 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Recent purchase:

image.png

Liszt, I listened to some of the hungarian rhapsodies today (#2, and my favorite one #12). Don't know the playing of Horowitz for Liszt, I'm very selective.

I don't know definitve versions of these works, Cziffra is very good, but a little bit excessive.

Love Jorge Bolet too for Liszt.

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

Liszt, I listened to some of the hungarian rhapsodies today (#2, and my favorite one #12). Don't know the playing of Horowitz for Liszt, I'm very selective.

I don't know definitve versions of these works, Cziffra is very good, but a little bit excessive.

Love Jorge Bolet too for Liszt.

Horowitz is definitely up there with Cziffra and Bolet. Too bad he didn't record that many of the Hungarian Rhapsodies. Neither did Bolet. Andsnes is also very good in Liszt in the few works he's recorded (the Mephisto waltzes, among others).

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

All of those were waiting for me yesterday:

IMG_20180119_225732912.jpg

Karol

Oh I forgot All the Money in the World was also a part of this batch. :)

Karol

Hehe, I dug it up where most fossils go when they need a new owner (eBay). :)

On 1/19/2018 at 11:59 PM, crocodile said:

All of those were waiting for me yesterday:

IMG_20180119_225732912.jpg

Karol

What's your opinion on the expanded Prince of Thieves?

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's your opinion on the expanded Prince of Thieves?

It's a very nice expansion. I'm not that massive of a fan of this score. It always struck me as bit piecemeal kind of an experience with a strange combination of various sensibilities. But I also admit that probably has to do with the fact the original album was always a very disappointing listening experience. It started out ok but never offered any substantial resolution to anything. Now I do now that is because a lot of the material remained unreleased. The new set certainly rectifies that and sounds bit better as well. So I'm quite happy with it but also had a chance to only listen to it once so far (there are other purchases there as well!). And more Kamen in my collection is always good. 

Karol

The score is not a masterpiece of any kind but it's a very enjoyable one with some interesting colours. And this release is the only way to experience it because there was a lot of material missing from previous release.

Karol

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I just got the original CD release of Return of the Jedi, in mint condition. That completes my search for all three original soundtrack releases!

image.png

One of the best CDs ever.

On 20 January 2018 at 9:22 PM, Bespin said:

Is it why many fans don't like cardboards sleeves, because they can't hold properly on a shelf?

Look at this mess:

IMG_2357.JPG

You should put them in those polybags with the adhesive strips. They'll last longer as well.

On 23 January 2018 at 3:31 PM, Bespin said:

Are you the kind that put a plastic wrap over your couch too? :sarcasm:

Nah. But I replace all my scratched jewel cases and dvd/bd keepcases with new ones, and having them in polybags keeps them scratchproof and dustproof to boot. There's nothing worse than shelf-worn cases.