Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@davefg is looking for The Great Train Robbery.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, most soundtracks contain lots of "generic" chords and progressions.

Thanks for the mention,and I’m still looking for this!

On 10/7/2018 at 11:35 AM, publicist said:

'Original compositions' that sound like improvised drumming over generic orchestral chords. It was most disappointing after the other two Gordons back then.

I have it, and I've watched the film several times, and all I can remember from the score (aside from the non-original bits) I can indeed only describe as drumming over generic chords.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, is a delightful score, to a fantastic little film.

Agreed on both counts. Would love a release of the rejected Bernstein score too.

44 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Thank you. I personally like my albums to sound... digital. The flying sequence rendition is absolutely gorgeous on this set. I just can't stand old recordings.

You must be joking!

7 hours ago, Richard said:

I was very impressed with the Debney, when I first heard it. I thought that THE HELICOPTER SEQUENCE, was particularly faithful.

Close enough but not entirely faithful. Some orchestration is different; flute and piccolo parts were substituted by brass. Brad Decter orchestrated the score as this was done via reconstruction. If I remember correctly. 

I loved this album. It got great mileage from me. 

CE3K and The Cowboys sound like they were professionally recorded yesterday. Supes is Warner, too, I don't know if Mike would do or have to do anything beyond previous releases for this year's anniversary one,  but if he would, I bet it would sound great.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Sound quality has nothing to do with analogue vs digital.

But scores like Jaws just sound so... old. I don't know how to say it otherwise, you can just hear it was recorded in another era. Also, what do they mean by 'reconstruction' in this case? Didn't they take the original sheet music? This wasn't a by-ear transcription, was it?

34 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But scores like Jaws just sound so... old. I don't know how to say it otherwise, you can just hear it was recorded in another era.

I really wonder what is mainly responsible for the difference between scores like

- Papillon

- Take a Hard Ride

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind

- Magic

- Star Trek: The Motion Picture

- Night Crossing

which sound like they were recorded yesterday and scores like

- 100 Rifles

- The Wind and the Lion

- Jaws

- Star Wars

- The Fury

- Dracula

- Inchon

which sound like they were recorded in the mean age.

47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But scores like Jaws just sound so... old. I don't know how to say it otherwise, you can just hear it was recorded in another era. Also, what do they mean by 'reconstruction' in this case? Didn't they take the original sheet music? This wasn't a by-ear transcription, was it?

Isn't the original score, or parts of it, missing?

I just purchased this one.  With "The Time Tunnel" and "Lost in Space, vol. 1", the circle is now complete regarding those Crescendo Records releases I always wanted.

I hope they'll finally release a "Lost in Space - The John Williams collection" someday on CD (this compilations exists on LP).

R-10726282-1503162657-1981.jpeg.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Thanks to @Bespin, I now own Stan Kenton Conducts the LA Neophonic! I've had a CD-R since high school, but it's really nice to own it officially.

You're not a pirate anymore...well ah-hum, regarding this album!!!

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

27!

He could be my child! 😝

Just now, Bespin said:

You're not a pirate anymore...well ah-hum, regarding this album!!!

I actually very seldom pirate much of anything...at the time though I thought, "Hey, this album's out of print, so why not?"

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I actually very seldom pirate much of anything...at the time though I thought, "Hey, this album's out of print, so why not?"

I can't explain it, but I also have everything on my computer in mp3... Rare or Out of Print... well, that's life!

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, is he?

Well, I never slept with a woman, so the chances are thin. But someone could have stolen me a used condom! 😂