Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

37 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

I have the Williams recording. It's all I need.

It's fine, but I also have Dutoit, Herrmann, Karajan (1981), Marriner, Boult (1966), Karajan (1961), and Mehta, and I prefer at least the first four to Williams.

26 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's fine, but I also have Dutoit, Herrmann, Karajan (1981), Marriner, Boult (1966), Karajan (1961), and Mehta, and I prefer at least the first four to Williams.

I prefer to have money and space than 8 recordings of the same thing.

1 minute ago, Faleel J.M. said:

You know I’m beginning to think that blue on black isn’t a great color scheme for a movie poster

35 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Why do you say that?

To be fair those are using much brighter blues and bolder typefaces than TROS.

And now you changed your avatar so this exchange makes no sense!  :stick:

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Ditto, except for the Karajans and the Herrmann, plus a few more. What do you think of the Steinberg DG recording?

5 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

You need a better shelf.

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ditto, except for the Karajans and the Herrmann, plus a few more. What do you think of the Steinberg DG recording?

Don't know that one. Of the Karajans, his 1981 remake is one of my favourites, but I understand the praise his 1961 gets. Rather shabby playing by the Vienna Philharmonic (who probably hated the work and though it was beneath them).

I like Herrman's Mars. A ferocious Mars can be fun, but I generally prefer the darker and more brooding takes.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's JWFan's dick-swinging thread!

I’ve whipped mine out way too many times in these types of threads. My wallet hates me.

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

Is it a CD-R?

How do you tell the difference? I bought these before but it always stated in the description and they were also only available from then only. This one is listed elsewhere as well.

Karol

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

How do you tell the difference? I bought these before but it always stated in the description and they were also only available from then only. This one is listed elsewhere as well.

Karol

Most of the cd-r’s I’ve had are either blue or a light green on the back. I think Screen Archives may have listed it wrong.

4 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Most of the cd-r’s I’ve had are either blue or a light green on the back. I think Screen Archives may have listed it wrong.

This one doesn't have blue/green tinge.

Karol

On 5/23/2019 at 9:58 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a good recording! Previn's EMI recording is also good.

Do you mean, from circa 1974, JS? It's the best THE PLANETS I've ever heard. Dutoit's is good, but the LSO are really having a lot of fun, with Previn. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Do you mean, from circa 1974, JS? It's the best THE PLANETS I've ever heard. Dutoit's is good, but the LSO are really having a lot of fun, with Previn. 

Recorded in 1973 and issued in 1974. :)

Dutoit's recording is nice, but too dynamic! I have to adjust the volume several times during its playtime.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:03 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Don't know that one. Of the Karajans, his 1981 remake is one of my favourites, but I understand the praise his 1961 gets. Rather shabby playing by the Vienna Philharmonic (who probably hated the work and though it was beneath them).

I like Herrman's Mars. A ferocious Mars can be fun, but I generally prefer the darker and more brooding takes.

Oh, I forgot I've got Karajan's 1961 recording in the Karajan/Vienna/Decca box. In addition to the other ones I've mentioned I've also got the Gibson/Chandos, Solti/Decca, and Previn/EMI. I'll have to relisten to all of them to figure out which one I like the best.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:03 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Of the Karajans, his 1981 remake is one of my favourites, but I understand the praise his 1961 gets. Rather shabby playing by the Vienna Philharmonic (who probably hated the work and though it was beneath them).

That was supposed to be don't understand.

47 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why would they think The Planets was beneath them?

It is a bit of a classical pop, isn't it? Even Holst hated it.

Karol