Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I remember now. Yeah, I kinda like that motif. By the way, that cover art=

titanicmf8.jpg

Yep. Out of these 3 scores, I find The Phantom Menace the best, even though UE kind of sucks. Anyway, this's one of my favourite scores of all time, so this was right time (since I found it used and at bargain price) to buy it, at least to have these couple unreleased highlights like Anakin's Free or Tide Turns.

You have chosen...wisely. Everyone will disagree, but TPM UE is an entirely necessary CD (or CDs) to own for a JW fan. I'll be the one to say TPM > Black Sunday. At the current asking prices, you really can't go wrong. I paid 30 bucks at Borders when it came out, and I had to use birthday money I'd saved up. The editing aside, TPM UE is the best-sounding JW recording on CD. The BEST. There are more than enough highlights from TPM, one of JW's last great (and big) works, to justify owning UE.

I thought it was time to get fully acquainted with the John Williams scores from the swinging 60's and received a good batch today:

A Guide to the Married Man

How to Steal a Million/Bachelor Flat (Intrada)

Lost in Space - 40th Anniversary Edition (Containing all JW scored episode scores)

And Black Sunday is on its way! :P

I thought it was time to get fully acquainted with the John Williams scores from the swinging 60's and received a good batch today:

Nice one, Mikko, gotta follow your example sometime soon. :P

Received a recording of this year's Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Concert which I particularly enjoyed, starting with Die Fledermaus Ouverture an' all. :)

I've bought so much in the last couple weeks that I just can't possibly list it all! The most recent, however, are...

The Blue Max (Intrada)

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Gold(Kritzerland)

Black Sunday

The Jungle Book - Rozsa (Film Music Society)

Prince Valient - Waxman

Snows of Kilomajaro/Five Fingers - Herrmann

North By Northwest - Herrmann (Rhino)

Just email them at shop @ film music society . org (without all the spaces).

They said they still have a few copies left, and it's better to order it at cost from the source rather than pay the sometimes outrageous ebay prices for it.

I will warn you, the sources used aren't in the best shape. So if that sorta thing bothers you....

that being said, I wouldn't part with my copy, although I would love to see Tribute do a recording of the complete score.

I'd buy Revolutionary Road if I could buy the promo..

This dilemma is happening a lot these days.

There's a promo?

Indeedy, 46 mins, which is probably the whole score.

And I now can't get the theme out of my head. It's one of Newman's classic wandering pianos that never goes where you think it'll go.

Total Recall is great stuff. :)

Today I got Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. I was... familiar with the score already but I managed to get the CD on eBay for only $13.49 US altogether. Now if only I could get a copy of The Voyage Home for a reasonable price, I'd have all the Trek movie scores. (I'm still kicking myself for passing one up in a store a few years back).

ETA: ...but the way this year is going, ST4 might get an expanded release. Who knows!

Well, the stereo box has Yellow Submarine, Let It Be and Abbey Road, which the mono box doesn't. It is also slightly cheaper than the mono set.

I've listened to the first three discs so far. The old tracks sound almost scarily clear.

Well, the stereo box has Yellow Submarine, Let It Be and Abbey Road, which the mono box doesn't. It is also slightly cheaper than the mono set.

Ah, cool, so I'm also buying this - when I find the money. :blink:

It's quite nice, although I really have to get used to the stereo mixes on the early albums. The vocals being on the left channel only just comes across as... odd. Especially if you realize the whole stereo mix was a gimmick for audiophiles back in the day anyway and the whole thing was recorded to be mixed in mono in the end. Guess I'm keeping some of my un-remastered mono rips...

from SAE:

Islands in the Stream

Alien

Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith

The Blue Max (Intrada)

Black Sunday

Players

Hellfighters

from HalfPrice Books:

The Who Sell Out

Out of Africa

Mahler: Grand Music

Sibelius: Sounds of Finland

Bach: Baroque Masterpieces

The World Cinema Album

Blues Brothers 2000

The Simpsons: Songs in the Key of Springfield

Ennio Morricone: 50 Movie Theme Hits

The Mission

The Music of Jack Stamp

Masters of Classical Music: Wagner

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)

The Roots of Led Zeppelin

Fire Water Paper

from Borders:

Memoirs of a Geisha

from last week's Woot-Off:

Bruce Springsteen's Tracks and Live/1975-85

from Film Music Society:

Miklos Rozsa's Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book

Why keep old un-remastered mono rips? Just convert the remastered stereo cds into mono mp3s

The mono mixes are completely different from the stereo ones, not just reduction mixes, one obvious example in one of the early albums is the song "Please Please Me", in the stereo version John Lennon very notoriously gets the lyrics wrong and then almost laughs (it starts at 01:27), the mono version on the other hand is a perfect take and doesn't have this mistake. So there's good reason to keep the mono mixes and good reason to buy the mono boxset (Sgt. Pepper is better in mono).

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)

:thumbup:

This, along with a few cues from his other works, is proof that Menken can score non-musicals. And on top of the fantastic underscore, the songs are amongst his best I think.

On an impulse, I just bought Hook. I know, it's shameful that I didn't already own it. I also ordered Black Sunday a couple days ago, shortly before Intrada listed it as out of stock. I figure these'll be too very different but very good scores to add to my collection.

Hook is essential music to own if you're a JW fan. It isn't shameful not to own the original album, it's shameful we don't have every note of that score available. It's like 20 years old now. I feel like an old fart. My CD is still in perfect condition, too. I remember it originally came in a box. But then I have no idea why??

Arrived from SAE:

- Black Sunday

- Capricorn One (Collector's Choice)

- The 3 Worlds of Gulliver

- I.Q. / Seconds (the first score is hideous judging by its samples, but I bought it for the latter)

Hook is essential music to own if you're a JW fan. It isn't shameful not to own the original album, it's shameful we don't have every note of that score available. It's like 20 years old now. I feel like an old fart. My CD is still in perfect condition, too. I remember it originally came in a box. But then I have no idea why??

long.JPG

Pretty much every CD before 1993 came in those damn long boxes.

What?

The long boxes Marian, like the Hook one pictured in Jason's post.

The Jewel cases were sealed in those boxes. You could have fit 2 - 3 jewel cases in each one. Some were solid and others had a window (Varese) so you could see the artwork.