What do you guys think of John Debney?

alainmayrand

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutthroat Island is fantastic. The score, either complete or abridged, is definitely worth listening to every once in a while.

seaQuest DSV had a great main theme that stuck with me for years after the show sank into the abyss crappy TV sci-fi.

That's all the Debney I've got.

I agree.

He is a very good, solid film composer. His scores always seem to follow the film very well.

I do find that he tends to be sort of unmemorable, generally. I often end a film with a Debney score with little or no sense of what the music was.

I also find that his orchestrations tend to be sort of opaque. They lack colour. Although once in a while he does something that has more colour, more transparency. Like "Dreamer" and even "Cats and Dogs", but his score to Zathura I found to be watered-down "Empire Strikes Back". (I think they must have temped with a lot of that score, and my impression is that he just took some part and removed the tune or something along those lines...)

I like his scores generally, bought some CDs and realized that they left me unfulfilled. The CD is over and I feel like I haven't really been listening to anything. It's almost there, but not quite, and I must admit I am not 100% sure what is missing.

I have "Cuthroat Island" as a movie, and even after having seen it a bunch of times, I couldn't sing you the tune. And I pay attention to those things!!! :angry:

Alain

Every single score I've heard from him has been a pastiche of someone else's style. However, he does those pastiches so well, that I still enjoy listening to them. My favorites from him are Cutthroat Island (even though it sounds like a David Arnold space/alien score) and Lair (even though half of it sounds like like Star Wars).

Cutthroat Island leaves me surprisingly cold...I expected to really like it, but something about its enthusiasm tends to annoy me rather than captivate me. Not really sure why. The main theme is pretty solid, though, at least in moderation.

However, I'm utterly in love with his work on Disneyland Paris's Phantom Manor, France's Old West version of the classic Haunted Mansion. Debney took Buddy Baker's "Grim Grinning Ghosts" and arranged it for a variety of ensembles and instruments in the attraction. It truly stands alongside the original in the list of all-time greatest original theme park ride scores, IMO.

I like him. When I was younger I recorded the opening titles to Seaquest on my Talkboy. My favorite work of his is the WDW SpectroMagic parade score. I never did get around to listening to his various re-recordings of JW scores...

I like some of his stuff, but there's nothing really unique about him to me. He's dependable to providing good music in a short period, but he's rarely wowed me beyond that.

The fact that he keeps scoring stupid comedies isn't helping his career I think. Iron Man 2 could be interesting.

He's fine, but hasn't an original bone in his body. Quite irritating in that way...everything about him, good or bad, sounds like someone else.

He's fine, but hasn't an original bone in his body. Quite irritating in that way...everything about him, good or bad, sounds like someone else.

Couldn't you say that for alot of film composers?

Call it a sign of the time but if a composer can actually write, even if it isn't the most inspired at all times, he's got my respect.

Of all the embarrasing things in my iTunes library the majority are from John Debney. I don't mean that as an insult, rather he is one of only a few artists I've decided to go 'completist' with and this results in things like Hannah Montana: The Movie and Barnyard being in my collection. Not all of his scores are great but he's on more than one occasion batted it out of the park. Cutthroat Island, LAIR, and Hocus Pocus are some of my favorite scores by anyone. And his score to ELF is one of my favorite seasonal scores. And more for the novelty than anything I enjoy his efforts on such movies as Inspector Gadget and The Jetsons.

I think John Debney is a pretty good composer. I love his score for The Scorpion King and the few SeaQuest DSV episodes he's done, particularly the pilot episode score.

He's score for Inspector Gadget isn't that bad either. He's obviously done other scores too which aren't that bad. He definitely is Hollywood's favorite "additional composer".

Well, with Inspector Gadget, he was using a good theme to start and build with.

I heard some of the music for Iron Man 2 on Debney's Facebook, he had a video with Tina Guo playing the electric cello. It has the right mood and energy, but again, it was missing that something that gave it a memorable character.

Writing a good metal or hard rock riff is not about just being heavy and repeating notes, but there needs to be musical substance.

Perhaps that is the problem with Debney, he has the right moods, the right effects and really knows how to spot a film, but it is just a bit too light in the musical structure department.

And his orchestrations, in general, are really vanilla for my taste.

When I saw the movie "Dreamer" I didn't even realize there was a featured violin soloist. We saw "Aliens in the Attic" the other night with my two sons, and again, couldn't even tell if there was a theme in there. It was generic, safe music.

Also, have you ever noticed that his scores are pretty much always mixed very low in the film? Greg 1138 got it right: purveyor of musical wallpaper.

Decent, dependable, nice guy.

Not a groundbreaking composer by any means, but he's occasionally done some fantastic stuff.

I agree.

I would add Lair to the list of good scores by him.

I think he's a very efficient, effective Hollywood composer. He's able to produce scores that hold a very high production value, therefore making a film feel more expensive. Perhaps not the most original composer out there. Some of his stuff I love, but mostly it's 'just film music' really.

I had the 'love' theme (or whatever it's supposed to be referred to as) from Bruce Almighty in my head for a while, but then realised it was a massive rip-off of Silvestri's heart-warming theme from Castaway.

I thought what he did on Sin City was great.