The Big Bang Theory

MSM

All the nerd stuff was really just window dressing for very standard, cliché sitcom tropes.  At its best it was just one of the few tolerably entertaining sitcoms on network TV.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

As much as I've really enjoyed parts of Game of Thrones, at no point did I ever think it was the best thing I was watching at the time. There's been flashes of greqtn at times, but to be considered truly great by me it would have needed to be much more consistent, and well just better than it has been.

Ratings and zeitgeist wise GOT has been huge though, unparalleled really.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ratings and zeitgeist wise GOT has been huge though, unparalleled really.

Yeah why do so many people, like mainstream normies, love it so much? Is it just the tits and arse or something else I'm missing?

1 minute ago, The Original said:

Yeah why do so many people, like mainstream normies, love it so much? Is it just the tits and arse or something else I'm missing?

House of Cards was the first huge Netflix hit too.  People love melodramatic political intrigue.  Throw in dragons and boobs.... mega hit!

3 minutes ago, The Original said:

Because it has consistently featured good acting, characters you cared about, and high production values.  Most seasons have an episode that contains a giant medieval battle, and as the seasons have gone on there have been more and more magical things integrated into the show, like giant dragons, zombies, shape-shifting, etc

It's also an ensemble show that follows a larger than usual amount of "main" characters, so even if you don't like certain characters or storylines, you were rarely more than 5-10 minutes away from ones you did, so a wide array of people were able to find enjoyment out of most episodes.

The pace of the episodes that didn't feature huge setpieces was remarkably similar to Downton Abbey, actually.  Huge ensemble of characters, cutting between different groupings, no group getting more than a few minutes at a time.

The constant nudity and titillation in earlier seasons of GOT used to irritate me no end. But then I'd remember that millions of teenage boys and old pervs were a large part of the show's demographic. Personally, I found that stuff risible and I'd dial out during those scenes.

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I didn’t know this was still going. 

It was always shit

Said the got guy

I don't see the comparison between The Big Bang theory and GOT. One is a nerdy comedy the others is a hard core drama with lots of nudity.

Big Bang was the highest rated comedy for the last several years. It is also the longest running multi camera live sit com of all time recently passing Cheers. Ozzie and Harriet was a single-camera comedy that had over 400 episodes. Doubtful any live comedy will surpass that anytime soon.

It was nominated for at least 46 Primetime  Emmys and won 9. This season still may be nominated. Its been consistently a top rated show. It promoted women in the science  fields. It was very aware of popular themes and was very in the moment. 

It had a cast that like those on Friends stuck together in salarie negotiations. I actually think Young Sheldon is a better show.