Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

• 2 weeks later...

I have an small question for Star Trek fans that occured to me yesterday.

Can a ship like the Enterprise come out of warp inside an atmosphere?

I ask this because I realized the Enterprise does this in the latest film. I always thought these ships were supposed to be always on space and people used teleportation or these small ships to go from the ship to a planet. I thought maybe the Enterprise could handle this due to the very small gravity of Titan?

I would think that a planet with large gravity would make coming out of warp in the atmosphere risky because of how its gravity may interfere with its stability. Granted, Titan has small gravity, but it is inside the gravity of Saturn, which would be tremendous. Traditionally, a planet would come out of warp far from a planetary system, and travel up to the planet using impulse engine. An analogy would be a large ship using its engines outside port, but allowing a tug boat to move it around in the shallow water of the harbor. In that case, the wake caused by the ship would damage other ships and the shoreline, but the cost of failure would be running aground. Back to Star Trek, that philosophy is not always used because ships have gone to warp to leave a planetary system, but for entering the system, the math has to be absolutely correct. In the movie, they had the ship warp directly to Titan so that it would not be detected while inbound on slow impulse bound, and stay hidden from Narada. We, the audience, aren't supposed to think this is a problem...or accept that in this mirror universe, they might have the math worked out better.

But starships do function inside a planetary atmosphere. The Intrepid-class USS Voyager was able to land on a planet many times. Keep in mind that matter transportation was invented by the Star Trek writers in the 60s as a way to save money, by not needing to show the Enterprise or shuttles land on a planet for each episode. They could just...be there. Beam there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Apparently Paramount may save the trailer for December (I'm guessing with The Hobbit?).

I would hope it is in front of Skyfall.

Sent from Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Same here. I avoided the TDKR prologue as well. I think it's a big part of a new cinematic experience to go in not knowing exactly what's going to hit you right off the bat.

Kind of annoying it will only be on IMAX 3D screenings of The Hobbit and not IMAX 2D screenings; I was planning on seeing The Hobbit in 2D IMAX then HFR 3D later

I already pre-ordered my tickets for HFR 3D on Thursday, so it's a little too late to reconsider. But I can always see it in my 2nd viewing.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25619/-star-trek-sequel-scores-a-synopsis

don't click if you want to be uttererly and totally depressed about the upcoming film.

A synopsis that tells nothing.

it tells quite a bit, what the hell are you talking about.

Here's the synopsis

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Honestly I am not impressed. It sounds like the last two Star Trek films all over again, fighting against a single enemy who is destroying things with a superweapon out of revenge. Basically the same plot as TWOK with higher and higher stakes.

Star Trek films shouldn't follow formulas like this (especially not 3 films in a row!!). After the breakout success of the reboot, they had a great opportunity to experiment in the second film due to the support from Paramount and the built in audience that will see it based on their love of the first. Oh well.

Yeah. Besides, what does it have to do with old Gene's vision of the future anyway? Destruction, vengance, intergalactic holocausts?

Karol

It's fine for the films to have a villain, but why not set up a trilogy here, maybe not introduce him until midway through this film, and it ends with him not defeated yet (which will come in the third).

The point of the original series was that they are EXPLORING, they are going to BRAN NEW PLACES that man has never been to before to explore and report back what they find. The first film already did the "We don't have time to explore, we're in the middle of a crisis!" thing, I thought this film would slow things down a bit, like have a great and fun pre-credits sequence that shows the entire gang working together to finish up some adventure that we jump into the middle of, then after the credits they go to some new place, explore, and eventually they release that one of the characters they've ran into is bad and needs to be stopped for the good of the galaxy.

Seems like the new film sets off the same old plot right from the get go though.

With today's special effects they could create all kinds of crazy colourful space-operish worlds like Meziéres/Giménez/Dalrymple/Giraud etc

Or like people on DeviantArt do any other day surpassing most cinematic blockbusters in coolnes.

The point of the original series was that they are EXPLORING, they are going to BRAN NEW PLACES that man has never been to before to explore and report back what they find.

Yeah, exactly. It seems like there are only the same few places all over again, with the same 3 races all over again. It doesn't seem like this universe is getting any bigger or more exciting.

I just would like to watch some proper s-f.

Karol

The point of the original series was that they are EXPLORING, they are going to BRAN NEW PLACES that man has never been to before to explore and report back what they find.

Yeah, exactly. It seems like there are only the same few places all over again, with the same 3 races all over again. It doesn't seem like this universe is getting any bigger or more exciting.

Karol

just more dangerous.

I want to see this low budget Europa film that comes out next year with Sharlto Copley in it. In the synopsis someone posted in IMDB someone had confused Europa with Callisto but maybe that was just a random screwup and the film will be worthwhile.Maybe we could actually have nice story about an icy moon! I love these! I hope it doesn't go Hollywood and turn into Alien. That would be a waste.

Here's the synopsis

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

...fighting against a single enemy who is destroying things with a superweapon out of revenge....

I don't necessarily agree that this enemy is using an actual superweapon, an object of mass destruction, like Khan's Genesis torpedo, Shinzon's thalaron projector and Scimitar, or Nero's red matter and decked-out mining ship from the future. I still hold out hope that Kirk's adversary will be a man imbued with either supreme intellect like Khan, or nearly omnipotent powers like Gary Mitchell. Such a man, were he to be a member of Starfleet, could cause the self-destruction of the fleet with a signal or override that hijacks a key system, instead of simply a "black box" device doing it for him.

On the other hand, the explicit destruction of the fleet is a nice deviation from the classic reason the Enterprise is the only ship always called in to save the day in many episode and movie adventures: being the only ship in the sector/quadrant/area. Starfleet should have dozens of ships that would only ever be a minute away, and we never see why the Enterprise is the only ship that can save the day. Blow all the other ones up, well...

Maybe this is Kirk's uncle, pissed off at Jim T. for wrecking his sports car... :mrgreen:

I thought the fleet was destroyed in the last movie? I guess we should expect another planet to be blown up, too?

I thought it was on the order of 7 ships or so.

We can expect a volcano. Why? I don't know.

THIRD BASE!!!

I thought the fleet was destroyed in the last movie? I guess we should expect another planet to be blown up, too?

I thought it was on the order of 7 ships or so.

This is what Memory Alpha confirms.

Remember Superman Returns synopsis which was nothing much like the finished film?

Karol

Really? Weird..

From Warner Bros. website:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer spaces.

Journey of redemption? WTF?

Karol

Remember Superman Returns synopsis which was nothing much like the finished film?

Karol

Really? Weird..

From Warner Bros. website:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer spaces.

Journey of redemption? WTF?

Karol

sounds exactly like the movie, how the hell do you think it doesn't.