Black Sunday is here!

Ollie

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13395/BLACK-SUNDAY/

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so friggin excited right now!!!!!!!

Finally!!!!!!

And the good news is that it's limited to 10,000 so hopefully everyone should get a chance to grab this gem from Williams.

Brilliant, brilliant news! ORDERED! Thank you FSM, yet again!!! :lol:

And it is really great they have a larger pressing from the get go!

One of the biggest holes in the 1970's Williams collection has been filled.

I might...buy this. Just on a whim. We'll see. I've been thinking about how I need more older Williams scores. EDIT: Also, judging by the samples, the sound quality is quite outstanding...what I wouldn't give to hear such a release of the original Star Wars scores!

So, not having heard anything from this, could someone compare it to other Williams scores I do know?

Diego my best suggestion would be to go and listen to the soundclips at SAE's site.

I might...buy this. Just on a whim. We'll see. I've been thinking about how I need more older Williams scores. EDIT: Also, judging by the samples, the sound quality is quite outstanding...what I wouldn't give to hear such a release of the original Star Wars scores!

it's better than Star trek,so go ahead

Ordered instantly

OH GOD, WOW!!! :o I'm sooo happy, finally an "unlimited" release so to speak, I just received my last order which I ordered a week ago, and I won't be making another for a month or so, SO happy to know that it'll 100 % still be around at that time! :P

THAAANK YOUUU, FSM! :lol:

This is a top notch thriller/action score from Williams.

It's Munich done in 1977 before Munich in 2005, as silly as that sounds. It's also Williams in his prime.

The samples sound good so far, some of the orchestrations remind me of Star Wars, not surprising I guess being a 1977 score. I don't know, I probably shouldn't get it, we'll see.

it's better than Star trek,so go ahead

Ordered instantly

so is most anything.

Mark, it's much better than anything in Munich.

Munich is not even in Black Sunday's league both score or film.

Mark, it's much better than anything in Munich.

Munich is not even in Black Sunday's league both score or film.

I know Joe, just having a little fun with it.

I've been warming my feet to this for years.

Damnit. I may have to pass on this one. I just ordered four scores the other day, and I can't add any more scores to my SAE order. I'll feel bad about this one slipping by.

FSM has started this year off with a huge bang.

Until someone releases Spartacus or maybe Conan the Barbarian, as far as I'm concerned, FSM is already label of the year. Islands in the Stream -- and now this?! :lol:

FSM has started this year off with a huge bang.

Until someone releases Spartacus or maybe Conan the Barbarian, as far as I'm concerned, FSM is already label of the year. Islands in the Stream -- and now this?! :lol:

I feel even more confident Spartacus is coming.

Out of curiosity, how do labels decide when to go with the "Music from the Motion Picture" designation (e.g., FSM's Black Sunday and Islands in the Stream) as opposed to "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (e.g., FSM's Star Trek II)?

Out of curiosity, how do labels decide when to go with the "Music from the Motion Picture" designation (e.g., FSM's Black Sunday and Islands in the Stream) as opposed to "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" (e.g., FSM's Star Trek II)?

I always wonder that as well. You have "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack", "Music From The Motion Picture", "Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack", Original Motion Picture Score", all sorts of combinations of things. I can understand some are because there are sometimes two albums (song and score), but it's interesting.

WOW!!!! let's find the compelte handwritten score now.. hehehe...

does anyone know, the 2cd bootleg of Black Sunday has more music than this i assume, or lots of alternates and unused material?

PS: i have the movie in dvd too. it's a decent film...

Great news. The score is probably Williams' most Goldsmithian. Can't wait to finally hear the great action cue at the begining!

I hear that a lot, but I don't that it's necessarily true. It's true that tonally (not in a musical sense) it's very much in the spirit of the '70s action/paranoid thriller idiom that Goldsmith had a hand in shaping, but that's about it. Williams has definitely written other scores largely dominated by a single theme. There is a certain muscularity and jaggedness to some of the action writing in the climactic sequence that one might not immediately associate with Williams -- but it's still unmistakably Williams, and I don't particularly see much in the way of peer emulation here.

I do love that 'Commando Raid' cue, though.

Never seen the film of this. Is it any good?

EDIT: Shit! I just IMDB'd it and I know this movie, I saw it a few times as a kid - instantly recognised the blimp scene on the cover. Freakin' brill little thriller, it has that unique seventies disaster feel to it, lots of long sequences with no dialogue, but great atmospheric music. Might have to check this out, didn't know the movie was called Black Sunday and that it was the elusive JW score.

If I recall the boot of Black Sunday is from the DVD isolated score, is it not?

there is no DVD isolated score. It's a low quality bootleg with hiss and distortion (like the last Crusade )

By the way:

A final note about this release: In recent years, a limited edition of this sort would sell out quickly. FSM has negotiated with the American Federation of Musicians (whose players performed the music and are due “re-use” fees for the album) to make this CD a limited edition of 10,000 copies (not the customary 3,000)—enough so that everyone can get one.
But if your response to this is, “Good, I’ll get it later”—truly no good deed goes unpunished, and we’ll never try this again!
Black Sunday is John Williams action scoring circa 1977—what are you waiting for? Buy it now!

I really want to get it cause it's been a while since I got anything Williams and this is Williams Prime actually, but I've been expending a lot lately and being a limited release I have to order it from the US, pay shipping, taxes... I don't know.

I'll be ordering it, but not until next month.

For those who haven't seen the movie, it's a Thomas Harris adaptation (author of RED DRAGON and THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS) and a brilliant Frankenheimer thriller.