Black Sunday is here!

Ollie

I'm not going yo listen to the soundclips and I hardly listened to the boot since it sounds so bad so basically this will be new to me apart from the Silva suite

Thirty or so years later, the film holds up remarkably well as a thriller -- a testament to how great it is.

Relistening to the "Miami" cue -- is this fantastic music, or what? The atmospheric writing in the score is just masterful -- it's not just the action cues.

I'm not going to listen to the clips either. I've never heard a second of this score before.

The question is if I place the order immediately, or wait until something else is released to stack an order. Since the next Intrada is over a week away, it'll probably be made today.

Read : If you don't buy it Family Plot will be limited to 1000

And I would be very sad.

Heh, much like Star Trek II they are giving everyone chance to get it and are hoping that all the demands and wish lists for a release of this "holy grail" are true.

That's why I don't make a big fuss when something sells out quickly. The more the labels sell and move inventory, the better the odds are of stuff getting released.

Munich is only superficially the same genre. The contemporary Williams score to which I prefer to compare Black Sunday is War of the Worlds, particularly since the latter borrows conspicuously from the former for some of the action writing ("Attack on the Car," "Escape from the City"). Despite those similarities, though, the comparison makes for an interesting case study into how Williams' style and even overall approach to scoring action thrillers has changed.

I'm far from a musical scholar, but while he may be more technically proficient in his composing skills, he sure packed more of a punch during the 70's and 80's.

That's why I don't make a big fuss when something sells out quickly. The more the labels sell and move inventory, the better the odds are of stuff getting released.

When you take the long view, yes, but nonetheless painful in the short run when you miss out.

When you take the long view, yes, but nonetheless painful in the short run when you miss out.

Oh I understand and I do feel for those who miss out. And I know not everyone can be awake or near a computer when they are announced.

For all those who don't know how good this score is, just listen to this preview to get a taste of some goodness.

The thing I like the most is that old 'Jaws' sound of the recording, especially in the cue you linked.

The Cellos have it, baby!

WOOT!

Wonderful! And the 10,000 release works great for me, I need to wait until tomorrow to order. I'll probably pick up this and The Blue Max Group at SAE.

I think I'm going to need to make sure I have plenty of CD budget on standby this year.

Excellent release from those who do it best. :)

I ordered from Screen Archives' Amazon store and saved $1.37 on shipping cost:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035GTD4K/

Of course, if you're buying more than 1 CD from S.A.E., shipping costs would be cheaper by placing an order directly though their site.

Limited Edition of 10,000 Copies.

B**tards!!! :)

Got the Boot, here. Poor quality, but it has sufficed till now.

Black Sunday is that older style of John that resonates with me, and the movie is a classic.

Just to see Robert Shaw playing a Mossad agent is superb in itself ("here's to swimming with bomb telephones") .

Got to say I can't understand people who immediately ordered the CD when they haven't heard it,nor seen the film. :P

Wasn't going to fall for the 10,000 copies ruse, but I've just made the fatal mistake of listening one of the sound clips on there (chose Commando Raid) and the sound quality blew me away. It really does sound beautiful now. I've always loved the music for the hospital scene (listed on their version as - "Nurse Dahlia/Kabakov’s Card/The Hypodermic". I still reckon John drew on that a little in later years for the music he composed for "Dennis Steals the Embryo" with Nedry in Jurassic Park.

But it particularly reminds me of the 'Gumbold's Safe' music in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I just love those kind of cues :jump:

We shall see. I'll sleep on it.

I have to say that, frankly, times are tough. I'm not working full time, the cost of living just keeps rising, I have terrible medical bills and I'm better off NOT spending money on these sorts of things. If my JW wish list were to be released, I'd be bankrupt. So I'll take what I can in moderation.

Got to say I can't understand people who immediately ordered the CD when they haven't heard it,nor seen the film. :)

I'm not going to order it for those exact reasons. My rule with ltd eds is that it doesn't matter who the composer is, I have to either know the film/score well (and like them), or be impressed enough at first listen for it to click right away. Neither applies in this case.

Besides, I need to start saving for when 90s and noughties scores are released with this frequency :P

Cool. I'm ordering this weekend, now please bring Family Plot, Hook, Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, etc. Thanks.

SW and Harry Potter are huge franchise scores, so forget to see them released by specialty labels like FSM or Intrada.

Complete Hook will be released one day, but probably not so soon--the film is still quite recent and there's a boatload of re-use fees to pay. A complete and restored 1941 is more likely, I think.

I'm sure we'll see Family Plot soon, probably before the end of this year--my bet is a Varèse Club release.

Then there are quite several works for film and tv from the 60s/early70s that remain yet unreleased.

I ordered the CD as soon as I saw the announcement. And of course it shows the naysayers out there that these labels don't ONLY pay attention to Goldsmith fans!

Wait this is not the rejected Goldsmith score?

If we're only three weeks into the new year, and we've already seen three absolutely stellar releases of scores...I'm almost afraid to think of what the rest of this year could bring. I don't think the labels would start the year strong and then fade away.

If we're only three weeks into the new year, and we've already seen three absolutely stellar releases of scores...I'm almost afraid to think of what the rest of this year could bring. I don't think the labels would start the year strong and then fade away.

I thought they'd take a breather after the insanity of the end of last year. Guess I was wrong. :)

I'm not really expecting FSM or Intrada to release Harry Potter or the SW prequels at all but if they do Family Plot,Hook and expanded Dracula that's about all there is to my list .I have a feeling expanded Dracula would be like the Expanded E.T. vs the original album

1941 could be cool...I mean there's an isolated DVD score with great sound but I never tried to figure out all the microedits and tracking and wouldn't mind listening to the score as it was recorded

Dracula and Family Plot, based on everything we've been getting, seem possible. Hook is 1991, right? I think that one will take some time, a couple of years at the very least. Warner may do Potter some day, they were aparently very surprised at how fast something like Batman: TAS sold out, so maybe they are more aware now that there are indeed more potential customers than they thought. The prequels are also a matter of time.

Back when Williams knew how to open a fugue and stick with it. ;)

Yeah the Black Sunday fugue is classic Williams. Nothing sounds so fateful as a fugue. I guess they went out of style after the 70's.

While we are all too quick to blame the composers on how films are scored these days compared to the 1970's, the changing of the whole film industry and trends might have something to do with that.

That said Black Sunday has that cool 1970's JW vibe going on. :)

That said Black Sunday has that cool 1970's JW vibe going on. :)

It seriously lacks the 'Miles On Wheels' factor though.

Alex

That's the other JW 1970's vibe you're talking about.

One bit of trivia: Quentin Tarantino said that he was inspired by this film for the scene in Kill Bill Vol.1 where Daryl Hannah disguises as a nurse and infiltrate in the hospital to kill Uma Thurman. Here's the scene in Black Sunday:

I love how Williams scored the sequence. He keeps the tension going masterfully.

Awesome release indeed. Everybody get this NOW! If this sells well, perhaps it can be a start for ending the ridiculous limited edition games from some labels.

One bit of trivia: Quentin Tarantino said that he was inspired by this film for the scene in Kill Bill Vol.1 where Daryl Hannah disguises as a nurse and infiltrate in the hospital to kill Uma Thurman. Here's the scene in Black Sunday:

I love how Williams scored the sequence. He keeps the tension going masterfully.

Yes, it's an amazing musical approach for that sequence. Maybe if Black Sunday ost had been released before Kill Bill, Tarantino have used "Nurse Dahlia" instead of Twisted Nerve theme

Awesome release indeed. Everybody get this NOW! If this sells well, perhaps it can be a start for ending the ridiculous limited edition games from some labels.

If only that would happen. :) I wish all the limited editions were "limited" to 10.000 instead of 1.000 or 3.000 ... :P

Actually it's not fair to blame the labels, some studios require a certain amount be pressed regardless of how many they might sell.

And then there are those titles that they must take a guess / gamble on how many they should press.

Even though some titles go quickly there are still a bunch left that haven't.

I did a quick count and came up with these, I was counting quickly so I might off by a few.

FSM has close to 200 releases and only 17 have sold out, Varese, not counting their regular releases, has around a 100 club releases with 60 sold out, Intrada has a combined 157 limited releases Signature & Special) with 108 sold out. LaLaLand has roughly 117 releases, both limited and unlimited and has only sold out 25. I know Bruce Kimmel is careful on the quantities he releases at Kritzerland and I would suspect almost all his titles have sold out.

Most of the titles that have sold out, not counting FSM, are in the 1000 to 2000 range. I'm almost willing to bet had they pressed 3000 of those, they would all be stuck with a ton of inventory and it would affect us, the listener.

I've always loved the music for the hospital scene (listed on their version as - "Nurse Dahlia/Kabakov’s Card/The Hypodermic". I still reckon John drew on that a little in later years for the music he composed for "Dennis Steals the Embryo" with Nedry in Jurassic Park.

I definitely hear the similarities from the sample, but "Dennis Steals the Embryo" was probably more directly inspired from "The Conspirators" from JFK (which was probably inspired from the cue from Black Sunday).

Wow, great news! I haven't heard a note of this before the samples, but if people think this score is better than Family Plot, it must be worth it. ;)

Ordered! The 10,000 copies was quite a shock, hopefully this'll mean more in the future. Actually, I'm a bit surprised. BTTF has sold less than 6,000 copies so far, and Black Sunday, from what I've gathered, isn't nearly as requested as the former.