Black Sunday is here!

Ollie

But it lacks the genius musicality of some of his other scores of the '70s. Jaws, Star Wars, CE3K and Raiders Of The Lost Ark are scores that have a life on their own. For a seventies Williams, Black Sunday is strinkingly humble and inconspicuous. If he wrote 2 more scores like that in the '70s, we probably wouldn't be discussing his music today.

Alex

Eiger Sanction is the last of his thriller/disaster scores (Poseidon,TTI,Eiger,Earthquake,Midway...). With Star Wars his whole sound changed and he became the John Williams that caused this fan site to exist

Got mine today.

Good stuff. I can't imagine it's one I'm going to listen to more than once or twice a year, but I'll enjoy it on those occasions.

As always, FSM's liner notes and presentation make me wish I made more money and could afford to buy everything they release just to help support them.

Mine just arrived! Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm 100% in agreement with you about the overall presentation of it - honestly, I wish every score could be released this way. Someday I'll have more money for scores from FSM, Intrada, and so forth.

Someday I'll have more money for scores from FSM, Intrada, and so forth.

Yeah, I'm also counting on that, but at the same time, I'm very afraid that 90 % of the scores I'll want will have sold out by then ... :unsure:;)

P. S.: Finally ordered my copy of Black Sunday couple of days ago. ^_^

Usually, it's around 10 days.

It has been as quick as a week for me on occasions (or perhaps that was just the shipping confirmation mail being delayed for a few days). This time, however, I've been waiting for my Black Sunday order since the last days of January. Monday, hopefully.

It has usually taken about 9 or 10 days for SAE orders to arrive here in Finland.

And this score is a one that has some standout moments that will grab you right away but as a whole it has to grow on you I think. With the help of the excellent track-by-track analysis and several listens I began morely closely to spot the musical ideas and how they interact and got a better feel for the score.

It has usually taken about 9 or 10 days for SAE orders to arrive here in Finland.

Yeah, same here. It also depends on how much additional time the customs office in each particular country takes to "process" the shipment and send it to the addressee. I sure hope to receive this shipment ASAP, I'm already sick of reading all the exciting debates about the Black Sunday and want to finally hear it for myself! :)

For those who may have placed their order within the last week, the eastern coast has been slammed by heavy snow and SAE is in the middle of it. So expect delays.

damn, im having problems with play.com, orders do not arrive after one month (even the replacement) and now it has struck me that it is maybe due to weather.

i bought some things at amazon (including this CD - via SAE) to try another source and see if they arrived... because i'm starting to suspect the mailman... (rather irrationally, who would like a paperback book twice...) or the incompetence of spanish post office... and now it seems there is going to be problems in the US too, so i wont really be sure untill maybe a month more...

My guess is he can wait a bit to see if FP is released, at 10 000 I don't think it's selling out so fast, even BTTF is still available and that seems to be limited to 10 000 too and I'd say that was more anticipated than Black Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to the CD today for (I think) the fourth time, and for whatever reason, this time it really connected with me. The suspense cues are really great stuff, and it was more obvious to me than ever that this was Williams working at about the same time he had Star Wars kicking around in his skull. It's not as great as that one, of course, but it's awfully good; makes me want to see the movie.

I think it really starts kicking at track 10

Track 1-9 is more similar to Poseidon Adventure/Towering Inferno style underscore while track 10-End is more from the guy who wrote Star Wars/CE3K the same year.

It's definitely good stuff. I need to listen to it more - I think it's going to continue growing on me. I'll never be able to put it in the same league as Star Wars, but that's perfectly okay. Still an interesting score.

I finally got it and gave it a first listen. It's allright, the first part is a bit hard to get trough but the second part is really good even if it lacks a bit of identity. It's Munich meets The Towering Inferno with some seeds of what was to come, namely Star Wars. That's what I think makes it interesting to listen from a more scholar point of view, you can hear the Star Wars Williams just waiting to be unleashed.

There was one passage that really reminded me of the tension music played while Obi-Wan Kenobi hides from the stormtroopers as he deactivates the tractor beam.

There's plenty Star Wars in there, especially Death Star stuff. Some of the percussion reminded me a lot of SW. You can definately tell it's from the same year.

• 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...

A shame!

I remember being thrilled when this finally came out a few years ago (even if it was C&C), the Silva suite not withstanding. An important gap filled, and so vastly overshadowed by Williams' two other 1977 efforts.

It was an important release. It's a fun one to crank on the hi-fi.

"The March of the Resistance" can be traced all the way back to this one, ironically composed around the time of the original Star Wars.

An excellent score all around. So it took about 6 years to go out of print. And it was a 10 000 unit release no less.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't attempt a "search", thinking that it was on the first few pages of the "General Discussion" board.  But having just conducted a search for "gremlins", it worked just fine.