The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

From today's 'Newletter' received by e-mail:

e434906a-5f19-4c58-80ae-203963a56b09.jpg

Our history of releasing great soundtracks from Stephen King inspired novels dates back to our early days.  We are pleased to bring you the Stephen King Soundtrack Collection (Limited to 1500).  Four scores on eight CDs.  Nicholas Pike's score to the 1997 mini-series The Shining makes its debut here on 3 CDs.  James Newton Howard's score to Dreamcatcher gets the deluxe treatment.  The Stand has 2 CDs worth of great music by W.G. Snuffy Walden and finishing out the collection is Firestarter with music by Tangerine Dream.  More info will follow in the coming week.  Available to order November 10th.

I think that a lot of these Varese things were the ONLY way that some of these scores were going to get a release, especially in today's score market where the only sure things are Williams and Goldsmith.  The labels have been clear about this lately.

What kind of print run would "Deadly Friend," "The Hidden," or "The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde" get?  I haven't seen any of the big labels do less than 1000, and it seems unlikely that a 1000-copy run of these scores by minor composers from long, long, long-forgotten movies would be profitable in today's score economy.  However, bundle them in a collector's set (which draws certain non-score pro-horror buyers) with surefire sellers (a Goldsmith score, a couple of out-of-print deluxe editions going for a ton of money on the secondary market, some "big name" horror movies (NoES, Scream, The Fly) - and sell them for a great price (less than $10/score even at full price), and suddenly, "Deadly Friend" is profitable and worth releasing.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I haven't seen any of the big labels do less than 1000, 

Well, Varese has released three things (that I know of) as something called the "500 series" where they only print 500 copies.

Herrmann's Journey to the Center of the Earth

Delerue's Agnes of God

Bob Cobert's The Winds of War

These are very much exceptions though.

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Dreamcatcher is a welcome surprise!

Is it any good? I haven't heard a note of it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, El Jefe said:

Yes but since they waited until late October and didn’t ship until Thanksgiving, I doubt they will this year.

Well, you know, they often ship their Christmas releases in January. Which is... pointless.

Karol

• 4 months later...

As Yavar pointed out on FSM, Varese's spring cleaning sale has some pretty appealing titles on display, including Family Plot at just $5. I'm tempted to get that plus the Deluxe Edition of Star Trek: Nemesis (on sale for just $8), but first want to see what La-La Land cooks up for Thursday

Up there among his great romantic themes.  Nothing will ever top his achingly gorgeous theme for "Age of Innocence," which I apparently have to mention at least once a day.

I was just looking at the films of the guy who directed A Walk in the Spring Rain, Guy Green.

In the space of 10 years he worked with:

Malcolm Arnold (The Angry Silence)

Johnny Williams (Diamond Head)

Dimitri Tiomkin (55 Days at Peking)

Jerry Goldsmith (A Patch of Blue)

Michel Legrand (Pretty Polly)

Elmer Bernstein (A Walk in the Spring Rain)

Quite a variety of film scoring legends, pretty much all on movies that history has completely forgotten (except for A Patch of Blue, at least).

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Spongebob movie score is especially fun once you make your own album inserting in the five songs, bringing it up to 21 tracks/60 minutes.

...Not that I did that. I listen to real music.

That Pharrell song is the highlight of the whole film. 

QQ for those who know/can retain more info about record label rights:

If a Warner Bros. score from the 90s got an OST release from Varese, would they still hold the exclusive rights to expand/reissue?

It depends; Varese might have bought perpetuity rights, they might not have.

Well, I just noticed they're still selling the OST digitally now, so I'm guessing they did!

℗ 1994 Warner Bros., under exclusive license to Varese Sarabande Records © 1994 Warner Bros.

• 1 month later...

New Club batch on Monday:

'I know the CD Club is a little late this year but I am so happy to announce that I completed the next batch (four of them!) before I left for Krakow FMF this year and so ... on Monday, June 18 we will announce the first official batch of CD Club titles for our 40th anniversary year! So exciting! Circle the date and visit us then at VareseSarabande.com

Karol