The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Out of the titles Varese holds in perpetuity, here's what I want most from them

Davis - THE MATRIX (2CD COMPLETE this time)

Elfman - DOLORES CLAIBORNE, Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Goldenthal - SPHERE

Goldsmith - PLANET OF THE APES (50th anniversary this year), Air Force One, Small Soldiers, Damien: Omen II, The Final Conflict

Horner - BRAINSTORM (film tracks bundled with LSO re-recording), Aliens (improved sound and correct liner notes)

Howard - THE SIXTH SENSE

Kamen - THE IRON GIANT

Shaiman - ADAMS FAMILY VALUES

Silvestri - MOUSE HUNT, The Quick and the Dead

Walker - MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN

You can get more ideas here:

Master List - titles Varese owns in perpetuity

Jay, I agree with this list big time. I will say that Damien: Open II might be a waste, since I don't think there's any more available to add, and the damaged elements are likely beyond repair. :(

Of all these, I think The Matrix (2 CD Complete) is my biggest want list item, followed closely by BRAINSTORM (with original film score complete, as well as the re-recording we already have) and PLANET OF THE APES (which I think is missing some score, and deserves a refresh as an absolute classic).

I personally would add Marco Beltrami's Terminator 3, The Omen and a few others.

I'll buy any Elfman or Williams, and The Matrix.  Everything else is kind of a crapshoot.  I don't think I would buy any of their other in-perp titles.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Beltrami's OMEN score is good?  Really?

It is actually pretty good.  One of my favorite Beltrami scores (although, to be honest, there aren't many that rank high for me).  I wouldn't personally buy an expanded version, though.

The only Beltrami scored I've ever really liked was Seventh Son, though there are nice parts in his Scream scores and Gods of Egypt

The scores that I want the most are the 3 remaining 30-minutes-crap-albums by Goldsmith in expanded form:

Air Force One

Small Soldiers

U.S. Marshals

And there are two albums that have been OOP for a long time now and need a Deluxe Edition:

Lionheart

Leviathan

And of course scores with existing Deluxe Edition that could need a sound update or a few more missing cues:

Planet of the Apes

Damien: Omen II

The Final Conflict

The Matrix

One could say: All brown and white side designs should be replaced by a brown and black design.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Not familiar with it.  Great film, though!

How can you declare the film to be great without being familiar with the music in the film? (For the record I loved both score and film.)

From Jeremy Moniz on FB, in the new Varese Club thread: "From what I understand,
Varèse no longer controls LEVIATHAN... it’s in other hands now"

I wrote back, "Where'd you get the info re: Varese no longer controlling Leviathan? Is it pretty reliable? Varese started getting perpetuity rights at some point in 1989 and Leviathan was 1989 so it's right on the cusp. I would've thought one of the other labels wouldn't released it complete by now if so (unless tapes went missing)..."

And Jeremy replied, "Yes, That info came from Varèse directly. They recently made a post celebrating water based films and I made a comment that they forgot to include LEVIATHAN. 
Their reply stated LEVIATHAN was in other hands now."

Also, Brundlefly you missed at least one:

LOVE FIELD is now officially the expansion of a sub-30 min. Varese 90s Goldsmith release that I want most of all. Just read what Roger and Doug have to say at Intrada!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704

Yavar

11 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

How can you declare the film to be great without being familiar with the music in the film?

Are you serious?

53 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

From Jeremy Moniz on FB, in the new Varese Club thread: "From what I understand,
Varèse no longer controls LEVIATHAN... it’s in other hands now"

That's awesome! Thus, as long as the tapes aren't missing this could get an expansion soon, right?

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you serious?

Yeah, I find it somewhat baffling that a big film music fan such as yourself would be familiar enough with a film to declare it "great"...and yet have no memory whatsoever of the score. Particularly in this case since I thought the score was somewhat prominent...you don't remember the music as they're running across rooftops at the end of the film?

Yavar

I seem to be alone in this, but I want a legit Rudy expansion... Air Force One would make a nice substitute though.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

A girl to find me romantically attractive please!

Me too bro.

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah, I find it somewhat baffling that a big film music fan such as yourself would be familiar enough with a film to declare it "great"...and yet have no memory whatsoever of the score. Particularly in this case since I thought the score was somewhat prominent...you don't remember the music as they're running across rooftops at the end of the film?

Yavar

I saw the film in the theaters 11 years ago. I'm sorry, I don't remember anything about the score. 

Probably just the fact that they release 1 or 2 Goldsmith catalog titles every year, and lately they've only done 2 Club batches a year

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20226-the-specialty-film-score-label-catalog-of-new-titles/&do=findComment&comment=722665

There's a guessing game going on at the Jerry Goldsmith Online Facebook page, with the admin encouraging fans to "think smaller" than Air Force One, Small Soldiers, or U.S. Marshals

On 6/11/2018 at 8:32 PM, Jay said:

I saw the film in the theaters 11 years ago. I'm sorry, I don't remember anything about the score. 

I figured at least it might have made an impression on you at the time. But try this, to refresh your memory:

On 6/12/2018 at 5:12 AM, Brundlefly said:

@Yavar Moradi

at jerrygoldsmithonline.com you said:

"The recently announced Varese Club batch is totally going to include a Goldsmith expansion. Can't wait to see what it is. ;)"

What is this assumption based on?

Couldn't say...let's just call it a hunch, okay? ;)

24 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

There's a guessing game going on at the Jerry Goldsmith Online Facebook page, with the admin encouraging fans to "think smaller" than Air Force One, Small Soldiers, or U.S. Marshals

Not exactly the right context. One user wrote, "Got most of the JG titles I want. Rambo III, Gremlins and Innerspace complete scores would be cool."

And then JGO replied, "All of those are available from other labels. Check out Intrada, FSM and La La Land for all of them. For Varese think small. 😀"

So maybe JGO is actually hinting at Small Soldiers here? Perhaps they have some specific inside knowledge, or perhaps the wording is just a coincidence.

Yavar

11 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Well, the admin did reply at one point that he doesn't think any of the "Big Three" candidates for expansion will be in this batch

His "Big Three" for whatever reason are: Air Force One, US Marshals, and some other action score (not Small Soldiers; he doesn't seem to think that one is in particular need of expansion). Not the ones that are most interesting to me, but everyone's got their tastes.

Yavar

For me, The Big Four were Air Force One, The Haunting, Small Soldiers and U.S. Marshals, so I think it's clear what my Big Three are now. It has nothing to do with the quality of the scores, it's just about the necessity of an expansion.

If one goes by the amount of unreleased music and the fact that (unlike AFO) no unofficial expansion has ever leaked, US Marshals is clearly a high priority. I just find it to be a really generic action effort so it's a lower priority for me despite that. But I'll still be happy to reassess it when an expanded release does happen!

On the other hand, if you want to talk about "the necessity of an expansion" how about considering the substantially-rejected score to Love Field, in light of the comments from Roger and Doug at Intrada? Surely that now merits inclusion on anyone's "Big Three" list?

Roger: I just finished revisiting this film, and I admit having completely forgotten what this film was about. The score is what I imagine Goldsmith would have written had he scored To Kill a Mocking Bird. It's full of tenderness, pain and human warmth. Something you don't hear much these days. Interestingly, I infer the film was partially rescored, as throughout the film there is a piano score that is clearly not Goldsmith. Turns out it was written by Bill Payne. Some very nice piano music, in fact. It was used over the end credits instead of what Goldsmith wrote. There's some pretty stuff there and I imagine if you were an average Joe picking up the soundtrack after seeing the film and not hearing Payne's work on the album you'd be mighty disappointed. Naturally the CD has a lot of the Goldsmith music cut from the film. There are some wonderful Goldsmith cues in the film not on the album. Given the album is only 29 minutes long...there was definitely room to include them, but probably another victim of AFM fees at the time. Not knowing how much music was recorded and not in the film or CD, it's hard to say how long the score really is. But an expanded edition would be great, including a separate section for the Payne score. Should all fit on one CD. I checked...it's still controlled by Varese. But everyone is clamoring for expanded issues of Air Force One, Small Soldiers, The Mummy, US Marshalls (as am I), but let's not forget this small gem. It's every much as worthy.

Doug: It's also worthy of note that much of the score in the film - which uses a larger orchestra including brass and actually features suspense and action material - is missing from the album, which is mostly the quiet and sedate pieces which may not even appear in the film. I didn't scrutinize too deeply but much of the Goldsmith score seemed to be re-scored later with a larger orchestra. I was very disappointed when I first listened to the album and discovered so much of the bigger music from the film was missing and only the smaller cues were included - with no explanation. Had the full orchestral Goldsmith score heard in the film been what was released, I imagine this score (and album) would be held in higher regard.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704

This could clearly be a *revelation* if ever a Deluxe Edition were released, and is therefore now officially the MOST in need of an expansion of any Goldsmith title Varese controls.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Why would he think so?

I understand it to mean that the admin has inside knowledge. Remember how just before Total Recall was reissued, he asked how many score fans would be excited by a 2-disc Total Recall?

I once saw 'Love Field' and apart from one maybe 3-minute unreleased cue when they flee the bus station the album didn't miss anything, in fact, it contained more than was in the movie!

On 14/06/2018 at 12:48 AM, Corellian2019 said:

Tiny Soldiers, then?

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Star Trek: The Still Picture?

(Not far off, I know I, know)

Karol

It's ofter lovingly referred to as The Motionless Picture.

Who doesn't?

I love how even though it was a bleedingly obvious rushed decision in the aftermath of Star Wars (not necessarily a bad thing, see Alien), they still didn't try to force Trek into an action-adventure movie and rather went with the 2001-esque route.

Once upon a time, there was a daddy and a mommy named The Daddy and The Mommy. They found a cute little baby and called it The Cute Little Baby.

10 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Tiny Soldiers?

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Air Force Zero?

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

U.K. Marshals?

Excellent! ROTFLMAO

9 hours ago, Holko said:

The Mommy?

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Star Trek: The Still Picture?

These are not owned by Varese Sarabande! Shame on you! :stick: