The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I thought we could openly discuss bootlegs?

Of course we can discuss leaked music that isn't available for sale. What does that have to do with my post? 

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah - Newman tends to include most of the score because of all of the shorter cues that other composers would omit. He's the opposite of JW/Zimmer.

Shawshank has about 15-20 mins of unreleased music and that's on the higher end. I suspect most of his early 00s albums have fairly little missing.

There have occasionally been scores where I'd like the odd extra cue here or there (Road to Perdition comes to mind), but a full-on expansion never seems necessary. Even with Shawshank, I made my own 45 minute OST.

Indeed, Newman's albums tend to include almost everything, and they are very satisfactory OSTs. Still, if I had to choose any score of him that I'd like to see expanded, they are The Green Mile and Angels in America - the first one because I read somewhere that it was his biggest score back in the day, with 90 minutes of music (the OST has 62 minutes of Newman's score, excluding the songs) and the second one because, being a 6 hour HBO minisseries, I imagine there's more stuff recorded than what's on the album.

As for Shawshank, I didn't thought I needed an expansion, until I listened to it. I just love the extended version of Compass and Guns!

Iam so glad that AIR FORCE ONE is indeed coming. It was already in a sort of pre-production of sorts with Varese just before Robert Townson left. He had a list of titles in place which he hoped that Varese would continue. So looks like Varese took a wise step. Curious about the other clues........

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Could the UFO title be a Star Trek film score?

Doubt it.  Despite 2009 DE not being like the DE for STID and the DE for Beyond the rest of them have been given a complete release all ready.

The alien could be X-Files related.

What I mean by the DE for Star Trek 2009 not being like the others I felt this was a personal edit by Townson and not a true complete release like STID (despite one cue missing) and Beyond was given.

22 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Doubt it.  Despite 2009 DE not being like the DE for STID and the DE for Beyond the rest of them have been given a complete release all ready.

The alien could be X-Files related.

What I mean by the DE for Star Trek 2009 not being like the others I felt this was a personal edit by Townson and not a true complete release like STID (despite one cue missing) and Beyond was given.

I would love a re-release of the 09 score with fixes, sadly I never picked it up and it goes for $$$ online.

I also seem to remember the choir was removed from the 09 DE due to the union stuff - both 09 Trek and Speed Racer are missing a lot of the choir overlays!

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I also seem to remember the choir was removed from the 09 DE due to the union stuff

Not only the choir overlays but the percussion dubs done by Chris Tilton. Which in my opinion has always helped the cues from what is heard in the film.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought no Goldenthal/WB expansions would ever happen while he was alive?

Why? Is it because the 300 situation left a sour taste between him and the studio, or is there any other reason?

I'm so excited about finally getting the complete Air Force One! I mean, can you imagine that?! It took forever, but tomorrow is the day!:woop:

I'm gonna have to kill someone if it's the expansion of a random film with a plane in it...:yes:

I hope it's Air Force One, and I hope the titles start shipping tomorrow, and it isn't like an "give us your money NOW!  We'll begin shipping them in a few weeks when we finally get them from the plant" situation

There are some other Varese-controlled horse movie possibilities besides westerns... for example Goldsmith’s The 13th Warrior or Rowland’s The Man from Snowy River....

2 hours ago, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

It would be awesome if it was terminal velocity.

Fixed. ;)

Yavar

3 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

How does that explain Batman Forever?

The license was granted before the lawsuit was finalized? 

Shortly after the film was released, there was considerable controversy as regards Tyler Bates's score. It was pointed out that Bates' music heavily borrowed from Elliot Goldenthal's score for Titus (1999). In particular, Bates' "Remember Us" is identical in parts to Goldenthal's "Finale", and "Returns a King" is very similar to "Victorius Titus". There was talk of an impending lawsuit, however, on 3rd August 2007, Warner Bros. Pictures acknowledged on the film's official website, "a number of the music cues for the score of 300 were, without our knowledge or participation, derived from music composed by Academy Award winning composer Elliot Goldenthal for the motion picture Titus. Warner Bros. Pictures has great respect for Elliot, our longtime collaborator, and is pleased to have amicably resolved this matter." As a result, the Blu-ray re-release, titled "300: The Ultimate Experience" features the note "Derived in Part from Preexisting Compositions Not Authored by Tyler Bates" beside the composers credit.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/trivia

As a result, the Blu-ray re-release, titled "300: The Ultimate Experience" features the note "Derived in Part from Preexisting Compositions Not Authored by Tyler Bates" beside the composers credit.

That's a mouthful. 

Yes, unfortunately for expansions, he was rather closely associated with them for a run of films in the 90s.

All WB:

Demolition Man

Interview with the Vampire

Cobb

Batman Forever

Heat

Michael Collins

A Time to Kill

The Butcher Boy

Batman & Robin

Sphere

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, unfortunately for expansions, he was rather closely associated with them for a run of films in the 90s.

All WB:

Demolition Man

Interview with the Vampire

Cobb

Batman Forever

Heat

Michael Collins

A Time to Kill

The Butcher Boy

Batman & Robin

Sphere

All of these could use an expansion. I would even buy an updated Forever.

Karol

I mean, I know it was a very horrible situation for Goldenthal and for all involved, and I don't blame him for being mad at WB, but... all this stuff happened more than a decade ago. Is Goldenthal rage and lust for revenge against WB still burning to this day? And even if he wanted to prevent the studio for making a few bucks over selling his expanded scores, he would also gain a few dollars, right? Actually, Jay can clarify this better, but didn't JW made more money from the HP box from last year than WB?

Also, why is he mad with the studio? It's not like WB actually encouraged Bates on copying Titus, they just distributed the movie and the 300 soundtrack album. Bates was the responsible for this mess.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Actually, Jay can clarify this better, but didn't JW made more money from the HP box from last year than WB?

What are you talking about?

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I mean, I know it was a very horrible situation for Goldenthal and for all involved, and I don't blame him for being mad at WB, but... all this stuff happened more than a decade ago. Is Goldenthal rage and lust for revenge against WB still burning to this day? And even if he wanted to prevent the studio for making a few bucks over selling his expanded scores, he would also gain a few dollars, right?

You are assuming that Goldenthal is the one refusing to license the expanded releases, and not WB.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

What are you talking about?

I read here a few months ago that JW received a few bucks for every unit of the HP box set that was sold, is that correct? 

Also, WB also received a few dollars, only for licensing the scores for LLL, right?

I just want to know who made more money out of the box set, JW or WB - or if any of these parties made money at all. 

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I read here a few months ago that JW received a few bucks for every unit of the HP box set that was sold, is that correct? 

Doesn't ring any bells, I can't recall every reading anything like that about any composer for any specialty label release actually.  Where do you think you read something like that?

Also, WB also received a few dollars, only for licensing the scores for LLL, right?

Film studios receive money in exchange for the license they grant to specialty labels to release scores they own, yes.

I just want to know who made more money out of the box set, JW or WB - or if any of these parties made money at all. 

I have no clue whatsoever.

BTW, upload an avatar image!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Where do you think you read something like that?

I guess it was right here on the JWFan. Can't recall what thread it was, but there's a chance the guy who posted it was joking. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Film studios receive money in exchange for the license they grant to specialty labels to release scores they own, yes.

Thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

BTW, upload an avatar image!

I already have one in mind, will do this ASAP.

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You are assuming that Goldenthal is the one refusing to license the expanded releases, and not WB.

That's probable too, but if that's the case, it makes the story even weirder. I mean, WB is a gigantic corporation that has bigger concerns like trying to make their DC movies make MCU money and launching HBO Max, than some dispute with a composer that doesn't even work within the movie industry anymore, and that has already been settled more than a decade ago. 

My wish is AF1 3CD set

first 2cd are the full score with all the additional music buy Joel McNeely, and the third disc is the rejected score.

Anyway, it is 22:51 in Hong Kong. Need to sleep now. Have to wait until tomorrow morning.