The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

I still don't get the absolute flat out refusal to ever give pre-80s music a try.

Money and time.

We get about 5-6 SE releases per month on average, many of which sell out within days. I don't have time to listen to what I already have, let alone consider everything outside my comfort zone. If something appears to be popular, I'll give it a try (I own Star Trek II for example, and I listened to some of Black Sunday), but otherwise, I'll leave those 3000 copies to those who will enjoy them.

So it's not a flat out refusal, it's just much lower priority.

Wonder if Spartacus will be ready? ;)

What an absolutely mouthwatering thought!!!

There was film music before the 80s?????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

F**k, yeah, and lots of it!

Hook, Hook, where's the Hook.

Actually, it's "Hook, Hook, give us the Hook".

Hold on, isn't it "Give us us free"?

Wouldn't it be great if FSM, Intrada, and Varese had text alerts. Give them your number, and they text you when they have new releases! :) In all seriousness though, that would be kinda awesome. I'd never miss an important release.

The Spiral Road by Jerry Goldsmith

The Scout/Dreamer by Bill Conti

The Manhattan Project by Philippe Sarde

So we have another one Goldsmith. I wonder how quick this one will go.

The other two would probable sold out in one or two days.

Also The Goonies by Grusin.

Limited to 5,000 copies.

Edit: I'll pick up The Goonies, despite the fact I barely remember the film but I do remember seeing it when I was a kid.

Goonies. It's a must have. I'll order this one.

I hope the Goldsmith's title will last long enough so that I can buy it in April. The others two scores are interesting. However I have no more money to buy anyone of them.

Edit:The sound clips of the Scout are just great. However, this score is too short. Besides, I hate Dreamer after listened to the sound clip.

After listened to the Goldsmith's title, I've change my mind. I'll order it before it totally sold out.

I've also changed my mind to buy the Scout as well. 30 mins of great music was worth to buy.

I'd love to have it, but I don't think I'll be buying it at the moment. It's another 80's score that is good, but way overrated because it was unreleased. It's a small, very fun score.

It was the most overrated of the so-called "holy grail" unreleased scores .I know I said that about BttF but this is more true

Apart from the chase cue and a few (very short) fantasy cues in the pirate ship there's nothing great about it

King Mark, you are clearly NOT a Goonie. ;)

I for one am very excited for this release and ordered it immediately! ;) Wow, so many holy grails lately for different types of scores! The last few months have been great for film score fans. I'm so glad it's complete and that it even comes with the alternates! That's a full CD! The only gripe is not having the Cindy Lauper song, hahaha. Easily ammendable, at least. ;) Like BTTF was, for the most part.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE GOONIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can actually say for the first time that this knocks a true holy grail off my list! I've literally been hoping for a release of this score for as long as I can remember liking film scores!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody else having problems adding more than one title to your cart? If I add Goonies, as soon as I go to try and add The Spiral Road as well it just replaces Goonies in my cart instead of creating 2 lines in my cart.

I've heard enough good things about The Goonies that I might pick it up under better circumstances, but right now I've got to hold off unless it's a real holy grail. I'll let it pass, at 5000 it'll probably sell out quickly.

Also upcoming from Varese:

GREEN ZONE

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by John Powell

Matt Damon

Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, United 93) re-team for their latest electrifying thriller in Green Zone, a film set in the chaotic early days of the Iraqi War when no one could be trusted and every decision could detonate unforeseen consequences. During the U.S.-led occupation of Baghdad in 2003, Chief Warrant Officer Roy Miller (Damon) and his team of Army inspectors were dispatched to find weapons of mass destruction believed to be stockpiled in the Iraqi desert. Rocketing from one booby-trapped and treacherous site to the next, the men search for deadly chemical agents but stumble instead upon an elaborate cover-up that inverts the purpose of their mission. Spun by operatives with intersecting agendas, Miller must hunt through covert and faulty intelligence hidden on foreign soil for answers that will either clear a rogue regime or escalate a war in an unstable region. And at this blistering time and in this combustible place, he will find the most elusive weapon of all is the truth.

Another veteran of the Bourne team is composer John Powell, who contributes an adrenaline-pumping score.

Universal Pictures opens GREEN ZONE nationwide on March 12.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 011 2

Release Date: 03/09/10

Why own a large collection of blu rays when you can pay netflix $11/month and receive the movie you want to see in the mail within 2 days?

Because I'd rather own it and have it available to me whenever I want to watch it! That's why!!! :P

Besides, they're cheap on Amazon. Hopefully it won't sell out before Thursday when I get my paycheck. If that's at least $200, it'll give me back all the money I've spent in the last month or so.

The Spiral Road sounds really nice but I just got Black Sunday, Players, The Flash and Legend, and I plan to get Alice in Wonderland this week (if it's released here so fast). No way I can order any more CDs, it's getting really crazy. :P

That's not true

Bullshit, you've stated quite a few times on this forum that anything outside John Williams you have little interest in...you don't say it directly but as publicist said you're good at "hiding it".

It was still a grail to me thought not as much as Family Plot or Hook and yeas I listened to that one about 4 times up to now.

I'm sorry if it comes across as though I only listen to John Williams scores .I always defend him to the death in board debates because I think he's the best by far but I listen to everything else . I have so much stuff in itunes that I can barely keep up.

I only collect physical copies of John Williams c.d.'s would be more accurate .

Well, the thing is KM, and don't take this the wrong way, that I don't have a problem if you only listen to Williams or not, if you think he's god or not. What I don't get is your need to rain on everyone's parade. It's quite allright if you don't care about The Goonies, I don't either, but people here are happy it's coming out and your first reaction is "Oh that one is not good, people just want it cause it's unreleased". Let people be happy, it's not like anyone was attacking Williams.

I think I get disappointed to much every time it's not one of the remaining Williams holy grails. I kinda got hyped that Family Plot was "coming soon"

We just got Black Sunday, and it's almost certain that we'll get Family Plot this year, so it won't be a bad Williams year. Unfortunately the stuff you want the most is in the evil clutches of Lucasfilm. Who knows, maybe the Force Unleashed 2 will be helpful in your quest for complete prequel scores.

Yes ,but I was around when The Goonies was in theater and I was a film score fan back then too and never thought it was that great.

I'd like to have The Goonies -- the movie is a childhood favorite, and I like the music.

Not sure I'll actually buy it anytime soon, though; I just splurged on four Bear McCreary CDs, so my discretionary funds are a bit low at the moment.

You're allowed to say anything you like (except bootlegs, those don't exist!), but the reason everyone thinks you only listen to Williams comes from comments like that was. Today it was Goonies, but it happened with Airplane, BTTF, Innerspace. Just let people be happy for the moment these are released and then when the score is being discussed I'm sure you can give insightful notes.

Of course they have. Thanks to The Goonies.

Although I would really like a legitimate soundtrack album of The NeverEnding Story, one more reflective of the score in the movie, without all that sappy pop. That's my last 80s grail.

I remember the music played when Atreyu returns to the Ivory Tower being emotionally uplifting in the film. The cue "The Ivory Tower" on the album makes me want to work out to Richard Simmons. It's not the same effect.

So let me see now...

By defending John Williams scores against Lord of the Rings or Giacchino or claiming some of these unreleased scores from the 80's (BttF,Airplane,Ghostbusters,Goonies...) weren't that great to begin with I pass of as someone who only listens to his Williams scores in a loop?

For the most part, yes. Although I'm just talking about your "need" to point out that every non-Williams grail release it's not good and that everyone who wants it is wrong. About that Lord of the Rings and Giacchino stuff, I don't know, I'm not talking about that. I'm on your side when I read something crazy like the LOTR scores sweeping the floor with Williams' Potters.