The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

Well, we'll just have to disagree on that one, even if they're better, sweep the floor is kinda extreme.

Anyway, IMO Star Wars and Empire sweep the floor with everything else (LOTR included) so there... :)

So let me see now...

By defending John Williams scores against Lord of the Rings or Giacchino or claiming some of these unreleased scores from the 80's (BttF,Airplane,Ghostbusters,Goonies...) weren't that great to begin with I pass of as someone who only listens to his Williams scores in a loop?

Yes you do. You're just like Thor over at FSM, except his is about complete releases. You offer no valid constructive critism. Everything is overrated because John williams didn't compose it. Yet the demand for these scores are high because they contain good music.

boys, boys, boys...

KingMark expressed only his thoughts by saying that "The Goonies" are overrated - why make such a big deal about that?

and if some of you think, KingMark is "raining on your parade" just because he isn't as exited as the rest of you, then buy an umbrella and don't mind or start

"Siiinging in the Raiiin..."

I couldn't be happier that King Mark thinks that The Goonies is overrated. Those 5000 copies aren't going to last long, but with him abstaining, they'll last one schmuck longer.

Anyway, IMO Star Wars and Empire sweep the floor with everything else (LOTR included) so there... tongue.gif

Can't argue, except to say Star Trek: The Motion Picture sweeps the floor with those, so there right back at you!

And Conan the Barbarian, of course, is king of all. Beyond that, all that's left to argue about is what God's farts must smell like.

Anyways, did I mention I'd like to buy a copy of The Goonies?

As far as I'm concerned there are 7 untouchable Williams scores:

Jaws, E.T., CE3K, Superman, Raiders, Star Wars & The Empire Strikes Back.

Well if saying certain scores are overrated or jumping in when people make ludicrous claims that Conan the Barbarian (which I think is the most overrated score of all times ) wipes the floor with TESB makes me as annoying as Thor maybe I should take a break.

I didn't realize I had become a nuisance.

I'm not sure I think there's anything that's untouchable. That said, if I made a top ten, JW would definitely have at least five. But TMP, ANH, ESB, RAIDERS, and CONAN are the pinnacle for me. Making me choose would be like Sophie's Choice.

Well if saying certain scores are overrated or jumping in when people make ludicrous claims that Conan the Barbarian (which I think is the most overrated score of all times ) wipes the floor with TESB makes me as annoying as Thor maybe I should take a break.

Away put your weapon!

Joking I was; did not comment about smelling God's farts obvious make it?

Develop sense of humor you must.

Oh pish posh. The only score that sweeps the floor with any other score is Walt Disney's Fantasia, and you know it.

Ya know, because it's about a broom? Never mind.

fantasia+broom.jpg

I'm not sure I understand why one score needs to "wipe the floor" with another. When it comes down to it, SW, TESB, Conan, TMP, HP, and LOTR are among the best and most popular scores of all time.

Are the soundtrack nerds of this world so starved for new good music that these classic scores must be pitted against each as waves against a beachhead for all time?

Don't be a drama queen. We need Williams worshipers in the board. :P

Going back on topic, since Goonies already has a thread so what about The Spiral Road? Like I said I like the samples, although I couldn't possibly get it now :)

Anyone has seen the movie, is it good?

I actually didn't care for the samples of The Spiral Road, though I never saw it. I've bought enough limited edition Goldsmiths recently sight unseen, so I'll let this one go for those who want it.

I'm not sure I understand why one score needs to "wipe the floor" with another. When it comes down to it, SW, TESB, Conan, TMP, HP, and LOTR are among the best and most popular scores of all time.

Why you got to go and inject good common sense into what clearly has the potential to develop into an amusing flame war?

NANNY McPHEE & THE BIG BANG

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by James Newton Howard

Emma Thompson

In Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang, Oscar®-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson returns to the role of the magical nanny who appears when she’s needed the most and wanted the least in the next chapter of the hilarious and heartwarming fable that has enchanted children around the world.

In the latest installment, Nanny McPhee appears at the door of a harried young mother, Mrs. Isabel Green (Maggie Gyllenhaal), who is trying to run the family farm while her husband is away at war. But once she’s arrived, Nanny McPhee discovers that Mrs. Green’s children are fighting a war of their own against two spoiled city cousins who have just moved in and refuse to leave.

Relying on everything from a flying motorcycle and a statue that comes to life to a tree-climbing piglet and a baby elephant who turns up in the oddest places, Nanny McPhee uses her magic to teach her mischievous charges five new lessons.

James Newton Howard, who gave flight to Peter Pan, provides another magical score for choir and orchestra.

Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang begins its European rollout opening in Britain on March 26 and will come to America this August.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 015 2

U.K. Release Date: 03/30/10

U.S. iTunes Realease Date: 03/30/10

U.S. CD Realease Date: August 2010

You fucking kidding me? We have to wait 5 months for the actual CD?

tarkin.jpg

This bickering is pointless.

Not really. By the end of the movie, that guy was space dust, one of the bickerers got away squeaky clean, and the other was probably space dust too.

NANNY McPHEE & THE BIG BANG

Music Composed by James Newton Howard

Emma Thompson

In Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang, Oscar®-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson returns to the role of the magical nanny who appears when she’s needed the most and wanted the least in the next chapter of the hilarious and heartwarming fable that has enchanted children around the world.

In the latest installment, Nanny McPhee appears at the door of a harried young mother, Mrs. Isabel Green (Maggie Gyllenhaal), who is trying to run the family farm while her husband is away at war. But once she’s arrived, Nanny McPhee discovers that Mrs. Green’s children are fighting a war of their own against two spoiled city cousins who have just moved in and refuse to leave.

Relying on everything from a flying motorcycle and a statue that comes to life to a tree-climbing piglet and a baby elephant who turns up in the oddest places, Nanny McPhee uses her magic to teach her mischievous charges five new lessons.

James Newton Howard, who gave flight to Peter Pan, provides another magical score for choir and orchestra.

Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang begins its European rollout opening in Britain on March 26 and will come to America this August.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 015 2

U.K. Release Date: 03/30/10

U.S. iTunes Realease Date: 03/30/10

U.S. CD Realease Date: August 2010

You fucking kidding me? We have to wait 5 months for the actual CD?

Yep, you do. :)

The only thing that I don't like about Varese is that they don't seem to do international releases (at least you'll get your CD eventually), I'm looking for The Wolfman on CD (import of course) and nothing, it's looking more and more like another iTunes purchase.

The only thing that I don't like about Varese is that they don't seem to do international releases (at least you'll get your CD eventually), I'm looking for The Wolfman on CD (import of course) and nothing, it's looking more and more like another iTunes purchase.

They do release internationally, but I guess not as internationally as they could (it sucks that you always seem to have trouble getting some discs). But I can usually get the majority of non-limited Varese releases in HMV. Although I guess it's different in Europe because they have the licencing deal with Colosseum.

Well, I'm guessing Mexico's score market is so small or even non-existant that they just don't bother. It depends a lot on that label, Alice in Wonderland is aparently scheduled to be on stores this friday, and at a very good price (around 10 bucks), so nice one Disney. Anything from Varese though and I have to wait for the stores, and we really only have one monopolic chain that carries soundtracks, to get an imported copy and it's usually above $30 for a single CD, like Star Trek last year.

I bet there will be another Goldsmith title from his Universal catalogue in this batch.

And another Conti. :P

I knew it. :D

Ordered The Goonies, The Manhattan Project and Freud.

You can probably count on a Universal Goldsmith title to be in each or every other club release for the rest of the year and into next year.

Spartacus will more than likely be a single club release, much like the Goldsmith box set, or a regular release. But I would expect some serious pre-hype by Varese for that one.

• 2 weeks later...
REVOLUTION

Music Composed by John Corigliano

A major film music premier comes in this first-ever release of John Corigliano’s brilliant score for Hugh Hudson’s 1985 film Revolution, which starred Al Pacino as a rough-hewn trapper drawn into the American Revolution in this compelling adventure framed by the violent summer of 1776 and the bloody victory of Yorktown in 1781.

John Corigliano’s very first film score, that for the film Altered States (1980), immediately established him as a hugely important film composer and earned him an Academy Award nomination. His third score, The Red Violin (1998) earned him a second Oscar nomination and, this time, went on to win! Corigliano’s only other film score, 1985’s Revolution — which features Sir James Galway on flute and pennywhistle — had never been released at all. Sadly, the film’s initial failure at the box office doomed it to a much more obscure existence … until now.

In an elaborate edition of the album Corigliano had always wanted released, the composer has taken part in every step of production, making Varèse Sarabande’s Revolution a major event!

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 000 2

Release Date: 04/20/10

Did anyone get this when it was made available for a few weeks with the December club batch?

I got it. I can't say I was especially impressed with the score, but the Hunt track was amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like it may be awhile for Spartacus, according to a post over at FSM John Debney's Facebook page mentions he's going into the studio to record his version of the love theme for the tribute album.

Given Williams' relationship with North it would be neat if he did a recording but somehow I don't see it happening, although I've been wrong before.

MOTHER AND CHILD

Music Composed by Edward Shearmur

Naomi Watts

Annette Bening

Kerry Washington

Jimmy Smits

and Samuel L. Jackson

Writer/director Rodrigo García (Nine Lives) teams with executive producer Alejandro González Iñárritu to craft MOTHER AND CHILD, a drama highlighting the powerful bond between a mother and her son. It's been years since Karen (Annette Bening) gave her daughter, Elizabeth, up for adoption, and the decision to abandon her child has always haunted her. Upon meeting laid-back Paco (Jimmy Smits), Karen permits her anxiety and mistrust to get the best of her. On the surface it appears that Elizabeth (Naomi Watts) is none the worse for never knowing her biological mother; she's a fast-talking lawyer who's just landed a high-profile job at a firm fronted by Paul (Samuel L. Jackson), though her unsavory penchant for exploiting others is about to blow up in her face.

Composer Edward Shearmur, known for his scores for Reign Of Fire, Charlie's Angels and Miss Congeniality, proves equally adept at providing a sympathetic and touching musical palette for MOTHER AND CHILD.

MOTHER AND CHILD made its US premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, and Sony Pictures Classics will start its theatrical rollout May 7.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 021 2

Release Date: 05/11/10

ROBIN HOOD

Music Composed by Marc Streitenfeld

Academy Award Winner Russell Crowe

Academy Award Winner Cate Blanchett

Oscar® winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as Robin Hood, whose exploits have endured in popular mythology and ignited the imagination of those who share his spirit of adventure and righteousness. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.

Robin Hood chronicles the life of an expert archer, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in King Richard's army against the French. Upon Richard's death, Robin travels to Nottingham, a town suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and crippling taxation, where he falls for the spirited widow Lady Marion (Oscar® winner Cate Blanchett), a woman skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn the hand of Maid Marion and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by its appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff.

With their country weakened from decades of war, embattled from the ineffective rule of the new king and vulnerable to insurgencies from within and threats from afar, Robin and his men heed a call to ever greater adventure. This unlikeliest of heroes and his allies set off to protect their country from slipping into bloody civil war and return glory to England once more.

Director Ridley Scott, whose Gladiator brought a contemporary spin to the world of ancient Rome, takes a similar turn with the Robin Hood legend, with a striking new score by Marc Streitenfeld, who also collaborated on the director's Body Of Lies and American Gangster.

Kicking off the Summer blockbuster season, Universal Pictures will open ROBIN HOOD on over 3500 screens on May 14.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 020 2

Release Date: 05/11/10

Still no LOST Season 5 announcement :lol:

Fringe now has no official release dated listed on Varese's site, though Amazon still says April 6.

I know, right?

Apparently he did the score to Ridley Scott's last 3 films (Body of Lies, American Gangster, A Good Year). *shrug*

Looks like he was an assistant to Zimmer for a while before that

I know, right?

Apparently he did the score to Ridley Scott's last 3 films (Body of Lies, American Gangster, A Good Year). *shrug*

Looks like he was an assistant to Zimmer for a while before that

He's been extensively talked about on this board. I don't know where you guys have been.

He's not a bad composer. Doesn't really jump out at you, but maybe this will change things.