The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't see why Varese needs to do these - digital releases for scores of this scale can't be difficult to put out by other independent labels.

Varese has far more important work to do with getting their older club releases out.

I don't understand why they produce so much superfluous stuff. Maybe they want us to buy this stuff hoping that if we support them they will release the really prestigous stuff one day. If they immediately released an Air Force One Deluxe Edition everyone would lose interest.

If they regularly release interesting stuff, people wouldn't lose interest.

They just need to do what LLL and Intrada do - regularly put out stuff of varying interest. Varese's problem is that they largely ignore their customers and don't communicate anything about what their long term plans are. Hence when they put out batches like this which have a *very* limited appeal, people just shrug and forget about them for another couple of months.

They put out batches like this that have "very limited appeal" in very limited numbers.  There was a time ten, fifteen years ago, that all of these would have received wide CD releases in stores nationwide - especially the animated movie.  Now, even big blockbuster movies are moving away from wide releases.  Blade Runner (a ZIMMER FRANCHISE score!) had limited CD pressings.   The CD pressing of the score to IT (now the highest grossing horror movie of all time) is a limited FYE exclusive release in the U.S., as are two recent DC Comics animated film scores.

Varese makes no secret of what their "Limited Edition" line is for - CD releases of recent films in limited numbers with likely limited interest.  Presumably if there was zero interest, they wouldn't release them.   The disappointment in a batch of new Varese "Limited Edition" titles is built completely on unrealistic expectations of what that line is, in spite of Varese's transparency.

When Varese announces a "Club" batch, that's where your big Goldsmith, Williams, Horner, Silvestri, Elfman, Zimmer, Giacchino, etc etc expansions will pop up some day.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

When Varese announces a "Club" batch, that's where your big Goldsmith, Williams, Horner, Silvestri, Elfman, Zimmer, Giacchino, etc etc expansions will pop up some day.

In case they don't decide to stop working on their Club titles like 10 years ago. BTW, where can I address Varese? On their site, I guess?

Q: How can I get in contact with Varese Sarabande with problems, questions or suggestions?

A: To follow-up on previously placed orders or on ordering new items, please contact Naxos of America, Inc.:

• By Email: varesesarabande@naxosusa.com (Include first and last name, address (including zip code), telephone number and order number (if available).
  • By Phone: 615-771-9393 (Monday to Friday 8:30AM CST – 5:00PM CST, closed Saturdays, Sundays and holidays)

For general questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact us at:Orders@varesesarabande.com

If you want to write to us please send all correspondence to:

Varese Sarabande Records
9100 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 455E
Beverly Hills, CA  90212

They also have a Twitter - https://twitter.com/varesesarabande

Screenshot_2017-10-18-00-52-42-1.png

Look at this guy's holy grails. You start realizing something? - Four of them are meanwhile complete. They ARE actively working on their customers' wishes. So hopefully they will bring us one last batch this year with a few noteworthy titles.

Poledouris is also a very popular candidate for their deluxe treatments. I know that Starship Troopers also had a high re-use fee like Air Force One, so they should be ready to expand that as well.

I imagine we’ll probably have one last club release batch sprung on us, right after LLL does their Black Friday releases and Intrada does a final end of the year big release.

New Club releases next Monday:

We can't wait to announce the next three new editions to the Varèse Sarabande CD Club next Monday, October 30th at 10AM (PST) www.varesesarabande.com.

I know it's a lost hope, but I still wish for an expanded Dracula...

Earlier this year, Snuffy Walden mentioned on a podcast that Varese was working on a Stephen King box set that was going to contain, among other things (he didn't know what), an expanded version of The Stand.  I haven't heard that mentioned anywhere.

This probably isn't that, though.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Sir Corn Flakes?

Almost. It's almost like the sound of the è, the e accent grave, but more "open".

It's like the difference between bèt and bêêêêêête.

A little complexity of french (among others!)

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

If other labels were allowed to handle these, we'd probably have had them all done a couple of years ago.

This is what fucking annoys me! Either give the licence to others or release it by yourself! And no, not spread over several centuries! I'm soooooo lucky Williams has just one Varese owned title!

Actually after the recent Stanley & Iris, I'm fairly sure there are still two left: Presumed Innocent and (the one I'm really dying to have complete) The Cowboys. But compared to all of the Jerry Goldsmith and Elmer Bernstein they control and no one else can expand, yeah that's not a bad number!

I'm grateful they've been working their way through Basil Poledouris lately; I think there are only three or four left of his to expand that only they can do.

Yavar

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This is what fucking annoys me! Either give the licence to others or release it by yourself! And no, not spread over several centuries! I'm soooooo lucky Williams has just one Varese owned title!

Someone remarked years ago (no idea who) that if Varese hadn't done all these albums in the first place, they wouldn't have come out because the bigger labels wouldn't bother. And therefore we should somehow be grateful to Varese.

On one hand, no one could have foreseen today's continuous stream of older scores, and it could easily have been 30 minutes or nothing.

But knowing what we do now, if Varese only has the resources and budget to do about 1/12 of what LLL/Intrada can do, they're helping no one by not talking to their friendly neighbours.

They're spending the other 11/12 on other music genres and film score concerts. Their portfolio is too diverse for the last few precious soundtracks you guys want, and when they're out, they're out. 

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Someone remarked years ago (no idea who) that if Varese hadn't done all these albums in the first place, they wouldn't have come out because the bigger labels wouldn't bother. And therefore we should somehow be grateful to Varese.

On one hand, no one could have foreseen today's continuous stream of older scores, and it could easily have been 30 minutes or nothing.

But knowing what we do now, if Varese only has the resources and budget to do about 1/12 of what LLL/Intrada can do, they're helping no one by not talking to their friendly neighbours.

True. But how many percent of all soundtracks are owned by VS? Less than 1/12. So they're just behind other labels concerning certain composers like Goldsmith. They're theoretically way ahead of other labels with Williams.