The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

• 2 weeks later...

New Varèse club batch September 20th.

CD CLUB - AFTER SPARTACUS!

Date: 9/13/2010

SPARTACUS is done. THE GOONIES ... check. THE RIGHT STUFF, LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, HANOVER STREET ... all released and sold out. What's left? A hearty and typically diverse batch of new CD Club titles will be announced on September 20. See you then!

I guess we can kiss Family Plot and Hook goodbye

The "big" Williams releases this year were the re-issue of Spacecamp (big deal I already had that on c.d. and any semi-obsessive Williams fan had at least MP3's of it) and that obscure 20 minute early 60's TV score nobody ever heard about (to which I haven't even bothered listening to the sound clips yet)

You watch. In a couple months time, it'll be announced Williams is scoring Harry Potter, we'll hear the first samples of Tin Tin and Hook, Family Plot and Dracula will all be released.

The "big" Williams releases this year were the re-issue of Spacecamp (big deal I already had that on c.d. and any semi-obsessive Williams fan had at least MP3's of it) and that obscure 20 minute early 60's TV score nobody ever heard about (to which I haven't even bothered listening to the sound clips yet)

Black Sunday was this year.

You watch. In a couple months time, it'll be announced Williams is scoring Harry Potter, we'll hear the first samples of Tin Tin and Hook, Family Plot and Dracula will all be released.

;)

You forgot the Lucasfilm will release the complete Prequels and a new Indy box with all the music (given away for free to all of those that bought the first set to apologize for the pitch issues)

I guess we can kiss Family Plot and Hook goodbye

You forgot about Black Sunday! An entire never before released score from the prime of his career!

Also I'd expect to see Hook come from La La Land on November 30th, not to mention you never know what Intrada, FSM, or any other label could have up their sleeves! Its only September!

Most likely scenario:

If they release Dracula it will be a straight re-issue of the OST (with "re-mastered" sound). Everyone will praise the release calling it a blessing to those who didn't have a chance to get the original c.d. and that the unreleased music wasn't that important to include. I'll say it's a crap release and get an angry mob of label bootlickers telling me to shut the fuck up.

Most likely scenario:

If they release Dracula it will be a straight re-issue of the OST (with "re-mastered" sound). Everyone will praise the release calling it a blessing to those who didn't have a chance to get the original c.d. and that the unreleased music wasn't that important to include. I'll say it's a crap release and get an angry mob of label bootlickers telling me to shut the fuck up.

Rebel without a cause if there ever was one! Lighten up KM. So you did not get your 80's JW golden age favourite Space Camp in complete form but you also know that it simply could not be done. I know you would have whipped the producers for being lazy and useless for not trying more at the negotiations with the right owners and for not providing YOU with the gem you love and thus you had nothing new to buy and felt cheated, crying angry tears and waving your fist at the looming darkness that is the specialty labels. You honestly think none of us would have wanted a complete score and are just out of spite defending the unworthy specialty labels against your radical notions? I know settling for less can be frustrating but if the other option is none (of course not counting you, you already had the damn CD from the previous Japanese printing) then I am more than happy that even the original LP release saw the light of day and ended up in the shelves of fans who did not already have it. Can you be any more selfish, bitter and childish? Come on! I dare you!

"note: This post contains high levels of sarcasm. Not suitable for anyone outside this MB."

Uh-oh, KM, now you've got Incanus going nuclear on you.

I believe the proper humorous retort would be: Who?

But yes it is getting awfully tiring to read the negative and pessimistic comments when we actually are being spoiled these days with the labels releasing so much old and new music. And no not all the releases are perfect but most of them are released with such love and care that we should be extremely happy.

But I guess it is true that a film music fan can't be a true optimist as the glass seems to be always half empty.

I wonder if there's going to be something like Lost: The Deluxe Edition in the batch.

I do hope something like that is in the works. I want to get the music from Across the Sea and quite a few other episodes. :P

Well I'm sure another CD will come out, I just hope it's not a Deluxe Edition, because that'll cost extra.

I know! It's going to be a Lost soundtrack box with all previous soundtracks with as a bonus disc the music of the last couple of episodes, which will not be available separately. Yay!

Well, I tell myself I'm joking, but (while being a huge fan) I actually held off buying the last two Lost soundtracks, and will continue to hold off until I know how they're gonna release the rest. I can't help it, I just don't trust Varèse.

I'd very much prefer an expanded/complete Dracula, unlike Spacecamp I've heard there's significant cues that didn't make the short CD. But if all the labels can do is an LP reissue with better sound, I'll take it.

Most likely scenario:

Rebel without a cause if there ever was one! Lighten up KM. So you did not get your 80's JW golden age favourite Space Camp in complete form but you also know that it simply could not be done. I know you would have whipped the producers for being lazy and useless for not trying more at the negotiations with the right owners and for not providing YOU with the gem you love and thus you had nothing new to buy and felt cheated, crying angry tears and waving your fist at the looming darkness that is the specialty labels. You honestly think none of us would have wanted a complete score and are just out of spite defending the unworthy specialty labels against your radical notions? I know settling for less can be frustrating but if the other option is none (of course not counting you, you already had the damn CD from the previous Japanese printing) then I am more than happy that even the original LP release saw the light of day and ended up in the shelves of fans who did not already have it. Can you be any more selfish, bitter and childish? Come on! I dare you!

"note: This post contains high levels of sarcasm. Not suitable for anyone outside this MB."

VERY. WELL. SAID!!! I don't think that there is a person reading this who would not want a complete SpaceCamp/Dracula/Accidental Tourist/Cinderella Liberty, etc. The fact is; sometimes it is just not possible. There are times where, in the words of Max Von Sydow we have to be "satisfied with less", however painful, and dissapointing it is.

I don't think that there is a person reading this who would not want a complete SpaceCamp/Dracula/Accidental Tourist/Cinderella Liberty, etc. The fact is; sometimes it is just not possible.

Erm, no. You weren't thorough enough in how far down the lines you thought about it. Particularly SpaceCamp. That incomplete-yet-quite-listenable release led to a lot of flung feces here.

For SpaceCamp, a complete release was possible, but unfortunately the labels aren't billionaires and they couldn't get those who had control over the tapes to play ball. Shit happens.

Um no it wasn't possible. Roger posted stating that he tried for a year to get the original company that had the rights to the score to budge on the previously unreleased music, so Intrada could release the remaining bits. Since the original company didn't budge, Roger ended up giving up and just released the original version remastered.

For SpaceCamp, a complete release was possible, but unfortunately the labels aren't billionaires and they couldn't get those who had control over the tapes to play ball. Shit happens.

Um no it wasn't possible. Roger posted stating that he tried for a year to get the original company that had the rights to the score to budge on the previously unreleased music, so Intrada could release the remaining bits. Since the original company didn't budge, Roger ended up giving up and just released the original version remastered.

As the rest of his sentence implies, what Koray means is that the release would have been possible in a physical sense, as the master tapes are ostensibly intact.

Some people on FSM suggested that it would be cool if Varèse were to do a "Deluxe Edition" of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Personally I would hate to see Varèse do a "Deluxe Edition" of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. They practically screwed up on the 2-CD set for Giacchino's Star Trek.

What I mean by screwed it up...

1: Missing choir for cues that the choir was recorded and MEANT for.

2: Missing overlays in "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up" that was MEANT for that particular cue.

3: There are definitely cues in the set that are micro-edited and it's really quite sad.

I would rather have La-La Land, FSM or Intrada release the score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Any of the three labels I listed, I'm sure they would make sure that set would be 100% perfect, unlike Varèse.

You know, I'm with Trent on this one.

In an ideal world, I would pick Intrada or FSM to release ST:TMP. FSM for continuity with Trek II and Trek III, and Intrada based on Alien.

Varese do a lot of excellent work, but the recent Star Trek: DE does show some flaws in their approach.

Varese have been doing flawed releases all along, its just easy to overlook them because they get so many other releases right.

But honestly - Die Hard, Predator, Ghost Busters, The Matrix, Freud, Star Trek 09, and many others all could have been better.

But then The Great Escape, The Fury, Home Alone II, The Goonies got it right. I think the difference is whether or not you hire Mike Matessino

Who knows if Home Alone II will get re-issued or not. Perhaps in a few years it might. It would be nice if one of the labels were to release a complete score for the first Home Alone film. It's long over due.