The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

The Cowboys is both complete and chronological. 

Small Soldiers is complete (not including some alternates that leaked out; the film version of every thing is here) but not quite chronological. Really short cues were moved around a bit for listening experience (kind of like their Gremlins 2 expansion). 

@Jay, do you know if the Overture is presented in identical takes on the new release and the old one? I ask because there's a low brass thud at 16s into the overture on the new release which I can't hear on the old. Check it out:

New release:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/022616club/cowboys+1.mp3

Old release:

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Should be the same take of the overture.  If you're hearing more instruments, it's likely just due to finally bring properly mixed

Are you sure? I ask because of Mike's statement:

The fact is the Deluxe Edition is the first and only John Williams' approved version of The Cowboys. The 1994 release was done without his involvement, was incorrectly mixed, at the wrong speed with the wrong takes and made-up titles, with a track called "Overture" in the middle of the program and another track by a different composer erroneously added, making it actually a 28 minute album which, sorry to say, had basically nothing correct about it.

Do you know which tracks had the wrong take?

• 2 months later...

DnejffTU0AABSIA.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, we are proud to unveil our 40th Anniversary logo! Look for this on our upcoming 40th Anniversary soundtrack compilation which will include tracks from many wonderful composers. Details are forthcoming! 🎼

https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/1042481657595346944

21 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd rather they celebrated their anniversary with a bumper club batch rather than another compilation.

Ditto.

Every time someone posts something in this thread everyone is hoping for another Club batch. It would be really nice to see them return to three or even four batches a year. And every batch must have a Goldsmith title, every second batch a Poledouris title and every third batch a Silvestri title. That'd be awesome!

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I hope they celebrate their anniversary with a new logo!  Nothing else necessary, IMO.

No no no even that is too much! We deserve nothing! We are not worthy!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Every Varese Club release is one score that cannot be released by LLL anytime soon!

I'm confused. Most of what Varese releases in their Club now is stuff they hold rights to in perpetuity, so it's not like LLL has access to release them anyway -- this was decided a couple decades ago when Varese originally released their usually-30 minute album!

Yavar

Varese just announced on Twitter that they are releasing the soundtrack to Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, a world premiere release!

This post has been brought to you by the one person on this board who cares.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Varese just announced on Twitter that they are releasing the soundtrack to Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, a world premiere release!

This post has been brought to you by the one person on this board who cares.

What am I, chopped liver?

Though Emmet Otter's not a particular favorite of mine as far as the Henson library goes. Tale of the Bunny Picnic is where it's at!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'll throw soft objects at the next person who bumps this thread without news of an imminent club release :devil:

The only Goldsmith releases we need are Mulan and The Swarm, and neither of those would be coming from Varese.

So, chill.

35 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Then buy the album(s)! They're perfect in terms of sound and cues chosen! For grop's sake, at least an album even exists for a score you like! 

Too much risk and too pricy.

25$ ain't so bad, though I get what you mean. Once upon a time, I bought the album for Ghost and the Darkness only for Intrada to put it out a couple weeks later (and this was a case where the complete score was unquestionably better than the album). 

I'm pretty sure just a few seconds from the end of The Future, since it's crossfaded into the beginning of the finale cue (which is a repeat since it's on the other volume as well). Otherwise between the two volumes we're supposed to have the complete score -- of course there may be unused cues or alternates which would necessitate a second disc, but if not, it should all fit on a single one removing that finale repeat.

Yavar

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Lionheart_Volcano_CPC8_5037_Japan.jpg

Not much, apparently. I'd still buy a new, remastered/complete release. And definitely a better performed re-recording (the same goes for Rambo III.

Ditto. A re-recording would be fantastic but is there anyone who could get those vintage Goldsmith synths right. Perhaps Leigh Phillips who recreated the synth work for Damnation Alley.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Fuck the synth stuff. We already have that on the original and it really doesn't add much more than distraction.

Well yes. Quite. Agreed.

The cheap Casio trumpets and goofy horn and ram's horn samples do not help matters. There are some discreet pipe sounds, i. e. in 'The Lake' that could easily be recreated but the others are mostly awful.