The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the text of the message if Facebook is blocked where you are

Another 40th Anniversary batch of CD Club titles are coming next week. We'll announce them on Monday, October 22. Legendary composers. This is going to be fun!

https://www.facebook.com/robert.townson.16/posts/2145893912340131

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

...and Dracula is not owned by Varese!

Who owns the rights for it?

And my bad, the movie was released in 1979. Still, I expect an expansion in the next couple of years. Which label would release it, then?

Dracula is a Universal film that had an OST album on MCA Records.  Any label could theoretically pull it off (Varese, Intrada, and LLL all has established relationships with these entities)

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

Besides Dracula, any other Varese-owned horror scores that'd benefit from expansions?

Maybe it's Poltergeist II! 

Or Chil- Nevermind ;)

If it's a horror score, I hope it'll be The Final Conflict or The Mephisto Waltz, but not Damien: Omen II. Concerning the latter, I don't see the possibility of a substantial sound improvement.

If it's not a horror score, I hope it'll be Air Force One or U.S. Marshals. Classic expansion wish list attendees.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I wonder if this will be their final batch of the year, or if they have a December batch planned too

2 batches don't seem like enough for a 40th anniversary year... But maybe they don't see it as a priority...now that they have all those concerts and vinyl releases.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

2 batches don't seem like enough for a 40th anniversary year... But maybe they don't see it as a priority...now that they have all those concerts and vinyl releases.

The shouldn't have more Vinyl releases than Deluxe Editions from the same composer in a year. So they owe us one Goldsmith Deluxe Edition. Who buys all those Vinyl releses anyway?!

7 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The shouldn't have more Vinyl releases than Deluxe Editions from the same composer in a year. So they owe us one Goldsmith Deluxe Edition. Who buys all those Vinyl releses anyway?!

Oh it does, trust me. It's this weird collecting fetish that casual fans have. Sadly, it has very little to do with preserving great music. :(

But then, if those pay for new Club titles then release as many as you like!

Karol

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

If Varese is going to release another glorious Goldsmith score, it's the label of the year for me! Who would have thought that in 2012?

Wild guesses what this could be?

I made some at the FSM forum...I’ll just cut and paste:

“Legendary” makes me think older composers and quite likely no longer with us...possibly even Golden Age! There will be another Goldsmith expansion from the huge number of titles they control of his, almost certainly. Also probably another Herrmann Encore or 500 Edition reissue from the scores they control of his in perpetuity, in remastered/complete form from their Herrmann at Fox Box (Journey to the Center of the Earth sold out its 500 copies almost instantly last year when they put it out. Maybe Garden of Evil this time?)

The others?

I’m hoping for David Raksin (Forever Amber: The Deluxe Edition), Miklos Rozsa (Eye of the Needle: The Deluxe Edition with premiere of the superior film recording), James Horner (Brainstorm: The Deluxe Edition with premiere of the film recording and remastered album recording), Henry Mancini (would anyone want Switch: The Deluxe Edition?), Elmer Bernstein (Wild Wild West: The Deluxe Edition?), Georges Delerue (Black Robe: The Deluxe Edition), Shirley Walker (Memoirs of an Invisible Man: The Deluxe Edition), or Basil Poledouris (On Deadly Ground: The Deluxe Edition or Hot Shots Part Deux: The Deluxe Edition). I might guess Michael Kamen, but I think the Varese release of The Iron Giant was virtually the complete score...are there any other Kamen titles Varese controls that they might expand or reissue?

Of living composers, I think only Williams or Morricone really qualify as “legendary”...Varese just put out The Cowboys Deluxe for the former so I’m not sure they’d turn around and do Presumed Innocent (the last unexpanded Williams score they control) so immediately, and I’m not sure at this point what if any Morricone scores they still control — Bloodline was one I think, and they did premiere their full LP album at last a few years back (expanded over their truncated prior CD release but no further expansion beyond their LP).

Any other living composers qualify as “legendary”, in your view? I’m not sure Silvestri, Shore, Newton Howard are *quite* at that status yet...

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

There will be another Goldsmith expansion from the huge number of titles they control of his, almost certainly.

What's your guess?

Any other living composers qualify as “legendary”, in your view? I’m not sure Silvestri, Shore, Newton Howard are *quite* at that status yet...

None of them does, nor will he ever, qualify as "legendary".

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I wanted to mention that yet again, but figured CD Club is for expansions only, not premieres. ;) 

The Club line does both expansions and premieres

I might guess Michael Kamen, but I think the Barese release of The Iron Giant was virtually the complete score...are there any other Kamen titles Varese controls that they might expand or reissue?

Hudson Hawk and The Winter Guest

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Another 40th Anniversary batch of CD Club titles are coming next week. We'll announce them on Monday, October 22. Legendary composers. This is going to be fun!

Doctor Who Series 11 soundtrack confirmed!!11

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Hmmm....Jerry vinyls!

Too big for bottlecaps.

I wish it has Jerry Goldsmiths THE FINAL CONFLICT. Although I think Robert Townson has zero interest or priority on this title. Lets hope AIR FORCE ONE is finally out.Also James Horner's BRAINSTORM original film score recording and the OST cd .

5 hours ago, Amer said:

I wish it has Jerry Goldsmiths THE FINAL CONFLICT. Although I think Robert Townson has zero interest or priority on this title.

I don't think so. He also expanded the expansion of The Omen and that one had as little music missing as The Final Conflict.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't think so. He also expanded the expansion of The Omen and that one had as little music missing as The Final Conflict.

You think so?  Well, in this case he said it himself on one of the facebooks postings a while back. So that's why I'am saying that. He kind of indicated there are other Goldsmith projects that he wants to prioritize. I think this was around or before the last batch we had.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I hope for Doloroes Claiborn from Elfman, Air Force One from Goldsmith, Brainstorm from Horner, and anything they can get from Williams

You make a probable point of every other title from the composers mentioned and yet cant pinpoint for Williams despite the season in which this batch is set? ;)