Spartacus Anniversary Edition

Joe Brausam

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, baby! I was about to buy it the other week, but thought to myself: "If only it was a slightly cheaper..."

Karol - who likes every single Alex North album he's got

I always hated the love theme from Spartacus.

lol In my case, I always disliked the way it seemed to announce, "These characters are in love! In LOVE, DAMMIT! BELIEVE THEM!! CAN'T YOU SEE HOW IN LOVE THEY ARE??!!"

In my opinion, no, that shouldn't be the point. I'm already watching the relationship unfold, the music should accompany that rather than being overt and bashing me over the head telling me what to feel

But certainly, some people can prefer their love theme more overstated than subtle; as with everything, it's a matter of taste

Personally it's my favourite love theme from any film. Yes, it's unabashedly sentimental, idealistic and naive, but that's the essence of Spartacus and Varinia's love. They're too uneducated slaves who want freedom for themselves and all future generations.

Also as John Williams noted, it's much like a popular love ballad in the idiom of the 50s. Compared to much of the surrounding score, it doesn't feel Roman. It feels modern (for the time the film was made). That subtext helps bring across the contemporary parallels with the Civil Rights movement that Dalton Trumbo was trying to make.

• 3 years later...