Danny Elfman's Alice in Wonderland

Diego

I love the theme and the track is nice enough, but I'm getting a bit tired of the string work employed here.

The string work is a bit old, but I love the track as a whole.

And that three note motif in the beginning reminds me of PotC.

That three note motif in the beginning reminds me of PotC.

I'll definitley have to pick it up then! :D

I didn't hear any POTC in there. I heard a lot of Morricone, oddly enough. Alice's Theme vibes the original main title songs for old Spaghetti westerns to me. Cheesy lyrics, with some backing strings and interesting progressions. Don't get me wrong though, there's a ton of Elfman injected into it.

I didn't hear any POTC in there. I heard a lot of Morricone, oddly enough. Alice's Theme vibes the original main title songs for old Spaghetti westerns to me. Cheesy lyrics, with some backing strings and interesting progressions. Don't get me wrong though, there's a ton of Elfman injected into it.

It's at 0:!2 of the track, and it is similar to the theme in "One Day" (before the love theme stuff comes in).

I am about to finish my first listen of the score. I'm really liking it. It's better than I thought. I'm glad the CD is not overlong. 50 minutes is just about right. I really like the main theme. No matter what others say: Elfman is a top of his game recently IMO. :)

Karol

I still think Alice's Theme is very reminiscent of Horner's "Becoming One of the..." solo theme. I still like it tho.

Won't be checking out the movie as it just looks bizarre, but already it's sounding my kind of epic ;) Definitely Elfman's year.

I don't think Alice is that good. Granted the main theme is very good but there's not much else on the score that jumps to attention, whenever the theme is playing it's great but that's it. And as good as the theme is I do find it a bit derivative of his earlier stuff. I'm not saying it's a bad score though, but not among his best I think. I do have to listen it more.

I've been a lot more into The Wolfman actually.

I've been a lot more into The Wolfman actually.

By the matter of fact I listened to both today. The Wolfman is much more mature and fresh for Elfman. It's a pity some discard by saying it's basically Sleepy Hollow 2 since it has literally nothing in common with that score, except for the genre (and even that is questionable). Sleepy Hollow is very tongue-in-cheek (as expected from Tim Burton) whereas this one is much more serious and almost classical in its feel. The Wolfman is actually Elfman's first proper gothic horror score. And he makes most out of it. It is so beautifully written piece of music. I know very is very little action music and choir as compared to other Elfman scores, which makes it a bit harder to get into, but I love its restraint and brooding atmosphere. :lol:

Alice in Wonderland, on the other hand, is pretty much standard score for Burton's movie. True, the writing seems more bold and "muscular" than usual, but there is very little new here (if anything). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it for what it is, but it probably won't be re-visited as frequently as The Wolfman.

Karol

Indeed. Though I must say I am listening to Alice for the first time right now, and am finding it absolutely captivating. Haven't seen the movie yet, though...

I've not seen the movie, but from the reviews, etc, it seems there's a lot of unreleased music. So basically, all of those reprises were recorded for the album I guess.

Elfman wrote those lyrics as an afterthought and had the idea completely by himself, according to a recent interview he gave. Mainly as an idea for them to be used on the end credits to replace the chorus without lyrics, which Tim Burton allowed, apparently (haven't seen the film yet).

He said he became obsessed with the idea of 'covertly' creating the lyrics and getting them recorded, so I suppose that explains why all those reprises are in the soundtrack.

I can't stand the reprises on the album

I've not seen the movie, but from the reviews, etc, it seems there's a lot of unreleased music.

There must be. Because the score in the film sounded great but the album made 0 impression on me .Did they pick all the wrong cues for the OST? There's A LOT of orchestral Alice's theme in the film score but I don't remember many (if any) statements on the OST which seems to just have the action cues

Another bootleg to watch out for

The music on the film must have made quite an impression for you to desire unreleased non-Williams music. Makes me really curious about the music on the movie.

• 1 year later...

Is this the tracklisting of the Academy promo? Too bad this still hasn't surfaced yet.

1 Alice's Theme 5:07

2 The Proposal/Rabbit Chase 1:34

3 Down The Hole 2:58

4 Drink Me 1:51

5 In Court 2:48

6 Bayard & White Queen 0:49

7 Liars/Vorpal Sword 0:26

8 Alice Escapes 2:42

9 Execution 2:41

10 Only A Dream 0:38

11 Alice Decides, Part 1 2:07

12 Alice Decides, Part 2 4:04

13 Alice Decides, Part 3 0:24

14 Going To Battle, Part 3 1:07

15 Alice Returns 0:36

• 3 years later...

So why not Nightmare Before Christmas then. The Alice in Wonderland reboot is not a well regarded or often discussed movie.

So why not Nightmare Before Christmas then. The Alice in Wonderland reboot is not a well regarded or often discussed movie.

2015 is the 150th anniversary of the publishing of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. There are loads of events planned to tie in with this, including a special set of commemorative stamps issued by Royal Mail, if you're into hardcore philately. It could just be a serendipitous coincidence, but if so the choice of film is rather apt.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, Kühni said:

Does anybody have the chronological listings for this, drawing from the OST and the box-set CD? Ta mucho! :)

Always a good resource to check:

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2011/04/alice-in-wonderland.html