The Unofficial "Jaws - The Sequels" Thread

Greg1138

Just occurred to me that discussion of these are almost hijacking another thread that has it's own important topic - so though I would start this one.

Leaving Jaws 2 aside for now....

I actually love Jaws III. For me, it epitomises everything that the phrase "Guilty Pleasure" means.

I hate Jaws: The Revenge - apart from the score - but I do own the DVD and, for a film that I genuinely loathe so much (unless I'm trousered) it gets an awful lot of plays. This does not mean that I spend my life completely trolleyed, it means that there is something about this film that I can not get away from. It has no redeeming features (apart from the aformentioned score). It is the ultimate example in diminishing returns. Yet like a small handful of other films it seems to increases it's watchability for me because is is so truly, truly hopelessly crap.

Discuss.

Greg

I've never seen any of the sequels. I'll probably watch Jaws II at some point simply because I want to see all of John Williams' movies eventually, but I don't think I'll ever see the others.

I've got some empathy with you on the subject of The Revenge, though. I'm a big Stephen King fan, and have all of the King-based movies on DVD, including the entire Children of the Corn series. They're all awful, terrible, schlocky-but-not-even-in-a-good-way messes.

And yet, every time in my King DVD viewing rotation I get around to those movies, I'm always kinda happy to watch them. I can't explain this; it's just a fact. I don't like these movies, and yet ... I kinda like them.

Same goes, I guess, for the lamer 007 movies. I hate Moonraker, but I also love it.

I would guess most peolpe who watch a lot of movies have a small list of films like this that they have weird relationships with.

However, I'll let you keep Jaws III and Jaws IV; I'll stick with the Corn-y kiddies and hope they eventually make one that's set centuries in the future, 'cause that would be awesome.

Jaws 3D is a perfect rainy sunday evening film. It's not very good. It's full of cliches. Most of it's special effects are very cheesy.

But it's fun and goofy and at times a bit scary.

Jaws The Revenge is just a really bad, not interesting, not funny, not scary film.

I have a huge amount of love for JAWS 3-D. I find REVENGE entertaining like Greg, although I don't think I obsess over it just as much as he does ;)

I personally think JAWS 2 is an underrated flick, at least in that it doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the other sequels like it usually is. To be fair, while it's formulaic it doesn't really try and ape JAWS that much (although the copious shark shots give an idea of what the first film might have been like had the shark actually worked), it has a fantastic score, Szwarc's direction is pretty good, and Scheider's performance is brilliant. Also, it has some great lines ('She's got tits like a sparrow').

I think that some of our "guilty pleasure" film experiences can be explained to ourselves if we go back to the first time we saw them. Often, there's a good memory attached to viewing the film.

Either that, or our brains become genuinely intrigued while trying to decipher the explanation for why a movie studio would expend so much cash on such trash.

I've never seen any of the sequels. I'll probably watch Jaws II at some point simply because I want to see all of John Williams' movies eventually, but I don't think I'll ever see the others.

I've got some empathy with you on the subject of The Revenge, though. I'm a big Stephen King fan, and have all of the King-based movies on DVD, including the entire Children of the Corn series. They're all awful, terrible, schlocky-but-not-even-in-a-good-way messes.

Give Jaws II a chance - it's a much maligned film but is really not that bad. Not a patch on the first, but in it's own right it's pretty good.

Oh my - Children of the Corn - would it surprise you to learn that I own all of those too?? laugh.gif - surely the only example of a film franchise in history where every single sequel - though they are all wretched - is better than the original! last year's TV remake wasn't bad though smile.gif

Oh my - Children of the Corn - would it surprise you to learn that I own all of those too?? laugh.gif - surely the only example of a film franchise in history where every single sequel - though they are all wretched - is better than the original! last year's TV remake wasn't bad though smile.gif

Surprise? Nah. I figured somebody else out there had to have been buying those pieces a crap -- otherwise, they wouldn't have been made.

I actually thought the remake was even worse; just abysmal.

Ooh...! That reminds me: I need to buy that DVD!

Man, I'm slipping...

Speaking of Jaws, I definitely intend to watch II one of these days. I've heard variations on "It's actually pretty good" from too many people to keep discounting it.

I think Jaws II was the first of the movies that I seriously watched, many years ago. I enjoyed it for many reasons, and for a time it was my favorite of the group, but that also had to do with not actually watching the first movie and appreciating it.

Jaws 2 really works as an obsession/paranoia movie. It's a bit strange that many of the scenes of Brody's obsession are unscored... filling the poison bullets, the watchtower freakout... It could have worked with some Black Sunday style thriller scoring. As it is, Jaws 2 is terrific fun, but really could have used more of the visceral punch of the first film. The pressure to scale back the blood was a big mistake. As I understand it, the original script was a bit more gruesome, and featured a scene where one of the teens is bitten in half. Still, I won't let a summer go by without a late night viewing of Jaws 2.

Jaws 3-D really needs to be released in 3-D for home video, like they did with Friday the 13th Part 3. Last time I watched Jaws 3-D, I was pretty bored. I saw this in the theater when I was about 11 years old, and really enjoyed it then, but man, it was tough to sit through last time I watched it. I do love the disgusting corpse in the window scene, though. And check out the sea world extras for some truly hilarious fashions. You'll see people sporting red pants, suspenders, and those wonderful striped tube socks pulled all the way up to the knees. It really is a lousy script, essentially a remake of Universal's Revenge of the Creature. For some strange reason, I own the vintage movie Program and the 3-D trading card set, but have not yet picked up the score on CD (although I have it on vinyl).

Jaws the Revenge is somehow more fun to watch, even though it's probably a worse film than part 3. Poor Lorraine Gary is given some really horrible dialogue. I think she only did it because her husband was the president of Universal. The ending is brilliant. If anyone can make some sense of the editing nightmare of how the shark is killed, please explain it to me. I also love the shark's vocalizing as it pops out of the water... Sharkzilla!

I really think they should have gone with David Brown's idea to do a Jaws spoof: Jaws-3, People-0. Sort of like Airplane, but with Jaws. That would've been magnificent.

In my honest opinion, I really think the studio should churn out a new Jaws film every summer. It could be an American tradition. The summer starts with the annual Jaws sequel. They already ruined the franchise, so there's nothing to loose. They could do Jaws in Space, Jaws VS. Pirates, Jaws with vampires, Zombies VS. Jaws... the possibilities are endless. People would be like "Hey, let's go see how they kill the shark this time". Why the heck not. We'd be up to Jaws 19 like in Back to the Future part II.

I have to say what "makes" Jaws 3-D for me is the score. I absolutely love it...even more than Jaws 2 (am I allowed to say that here?). It's the only Jaws sequel that came up with interesting themes aside from the main theme.

In my honest opinion, I really think the studio should churn out a new Jaws film every summer. It could be an American tradition. The summer starts with the annual Jaws sequel. They already ruined the franchise, so there's nothing to loose. They could do Jaws in Space, Jaws VS. Pirates, Jaws with vampires, Zombies VS. Jaws... the possibilities are endless. People would be like "Hey, let's go see how they kill the shark this time". Why the heck not. We'd be up to Jaws 19 like in Back to the Future part II.

That would get my vote....!

He said there's nothing interesting about the Jaws 2 score, Steef. He probably sees faults where others don't. Be careful, it's possible that he possesses a higher level of consciousness.

Alex

When I wad a kid, I thought Jaws 2 was the best out of the lot!

Because of all those colourful rafts. And eating a helicopter is way more cool than a Quint.

JAWS 2 is a rather square movie with some great set pieces in between. I always thought Szwarc's directing of some of the action sequences was on par with Spielberg. I'd call the water ski sequence, the whole segment beginning with EDDIE'S DEATH and the high voltage cable stuff in the finale. That the teens ar annoying and some of the shark effects look rather suspicious lessen it, but not that much.

I also love the quiet build up of the scene where Brody wades out to find the burnt body. There's some wonderful wide shots of Brody on the beach preparing to brave his way out.

Yes, while it certainly is not the classic that Jaws is, Jaws 2 does have a lot going for it. The directtion in the action scenes is very good, the cinemaphotography looks good, it's mostly well-acted and it has a cracking score by John Williams.

His name says it all, IMO.

Wow. What's with the attitude? I've been on these boards almost as long as you have. You're going to tell me you don't know me?

Have you actually listened to the Jaws 3 album or are you just throwing crap on me for no reason?

I've owned the Jaws 3 bootleg for years now and listened to it often.

I like it, but to suggest it's better then the Williams effort is an act of criminal insanity.

Jaws 2 is too dated to me, for some reason. It always screams 70's to me.

But then, I'm sure suggesting ANY score is better than Williams on this board "is an act of criminal insanity."

Jaws 3D sounds very 80's to me actually. Very Dempsey and Makepeace.

And I think there are plenty of scores better then most of Williams works. But Jaws 3 is not a better score then Jaws 2.

I agree to both. Jaws 3-D is like the film, very cheesy and a good meal now and again, but Jaws 2 is a constant source of top quality nutrition.

I will give you this: the score sounds MUCH better on the soundtrack (in stereo) than it does in the film (in mono).

Just do me a favor: please don't assume anything just because of my name. It's a wee bit childish and judgemental of you.

Pink Floyd's strongest albums also sound seventies, to name only one example. No other decade gave more freedom to artists than the '70s.

Alex

Pink Floyd's strongest albums also sound seventies, to name only one example. No other decade gave more freedom to artists than the '70s.

Alex

Eccchh....Pink Floyd. *shrug* To each his own...

All three sequel films have one thing in common, good scores. Although Jaws III's score at times sounds like it was part of a made for TV movie.

Jaws 2's score is clearly the best of the bunch, I would give Michael Small's score to Jaws The Revenge a nod over Jaws III. The CD features the unused End Credits that has the Jaws theme mixed in with the Out To Sea theme from the first film. I think Small did the best job with Williams' material. Parker has some fun action cues but his use of the Jaws theme is rather generic, almost like he is afraid to give it a prominent voice in the film. You have the Brody kids so you might as well give the shark its due.

The films are a mixed bag, Jaws 2 is pretty good. It helps that Roy Schieder, Murray Hamilton and a few others from the first film returned. The only drawbacks are that annoying girl who goes on a scream fest once the shark hits the catamarans and the shock value of the shark. The helicopter sequence is way over the top but the other attacks are well staged.

Jaws III is hurt by confining the body of the story to the sea park and it has the feel of a made for TV movie. I would have loved to see Louis Gossett go man to man with the shark. The attacks are rather dull, minus the first one and Simon MacCorkindale's demise by being swallowed alive. Although his death wasn't a suprise, you saw it coming. The 3D effects are predictable. And the stop-motion shark is odd.

Jaws IV is just an awful, un-neccessary film. It feels like the current batch of direct to video made films about sharks, squids, bears bigfoot etc etc. A shark out for revenge? Laughable. And that's not even counting the ridiculous changes and special ending shot for for the VHS release. Mario Van Peebles survives and it's obvious they shot it in a tank as you can see the water splashing against the scenery in the background.

Jaws III is hurt by confining the body of the story to the sea park and it has the feel of a made for TV movie. I wouldhave loved tosee Louis Gossett go man to man with the shark. The attacks are rather dull, minus the first one and Simon MacCorkindale's demise by being swallowed alive.

There were 'attacks'? I mean apart from the sorry fibreglass kiddie shark, which is sped up like he is out of a Benny-Hill video (look for those bubbles who look like the odd birds in AIRWOLF). The momma shark just floats through her scenes, has a menu of around 20 water skiers paddling around but getting not a single one of them. Sean Brody's girlfriend is attacked and has what looks like a little knife cut on her legs. MacCorkindale just, as far as i remember, gets propelled into her mouth by the tide...and then she doesn't even eat him, but let him kind of lay in her mouth for the rest of the movie. The only real victim is the poor technician in the finale, who is visibly munched to death.

They sure earned that PG rating.

Alex

Eccchh....Pink Floyd. *shrug* To each his own...

It was merely one example and I used it because I thought very few music fans will dismiss Pink Floyd for being '70s. Nevermind, let's take George Lucas then, his output in the '70s is widely regarded as his most interesting work. George's films felt wonderfully free from marketing and merchandising. No film fan dismisses that as "yeah, but it screams '70s to me" (with negative connotations). In fact, to most knowledgeable film and music lovers, the seventies stand for a wonderful decade where artists were in control. Even the hit parade was filled with a never-seen-before unlimited variety of music (folk, disco, reggae, rock, hard rock, pop, punk, ballads, instrumental, soundtracks, et cetera).

Then came Star Wars ... Everybody thought it would flop but sadly it turned into a new phenomenon, namely, 'the summer box office hit' . The suits were back in charge and said "we have no interest in your project unless it's bound to make the same kind of money that Star Wars did".

Then came Stefancos and ... well, the rest is history. ;)

Alex

There were 'attacks'? I mean apart from the sorry fibreglass kiddie shark, which is sped up like he is out of a Benny-Hill video (look for those bubbles who look like the odd birds in AIRWOLF). The momma shark just floats through her scenes, has a menu of around 20 water skiers paddling around but getting not a single one of them. Sean Brody's girlfriend is attacked and has what looks like a little knife cut on her legs. MacCorkindale just, as far as i remember, gets propelled into her mouth by the tide...and then she doesn't even eat him, but let him kind of lay in her mouth for the rest of the movie. The only real victim is the poor technician in the finale, who is visibly munched to death.

They sure earned that PG rating.

Heh, I forgot about those silly scenes that received the Bennie Hill treatment.

The technician scene would have been good, except for the mannequin they substituted was really bad.

I can not think of many films that need a remake less...I would much rather Spielberg revisit the original and soup it up a bit, if anything.....

....surely this rubbish can't happen???????

laugh.gif ......for example, it's known that the scene involving Ben Gardner's boat wasn't exactly Spielberg's plan....I want to know what Spielberg wanted!

I don't want CGI enhancements or anything a la ET - would just like to see the movie that he wanted to make. If this also included inserting some other scenes then - well - all well and good.

laugh.gif ......for example, it's known that the scene involving Ben Gardner's boat wasn't exactly Spielberg's plan....I want to know what Spielberg wanted!

I thought it was, especially as it was reshot after the test screening. I've never heard he was disappointed with it.

I can not think of many films that need a remake less...I would much rather Spielberg revisit the original and soup it up a bit, if anything.....

Wanna see somethin' permanent, boom-boom-boom?

If Jaws would be made today it would star the following people:

Robert Pattinson is Chief Brody

Zac Ephron as Matt Hooper

Megan Fox as Ellen Brody, who like in the book DOES shag Hooper.

And for a little age and experience, as Quint, Mattew Fox.

While Jaws is damn near one of the most perfect movies ever made, it was a novel first. If they want to re-invent the novel into a new film interpretation, power to them.

It won't compare to the original, but it may reinvigorate some excitement for the original movie into the younger franchise, who see Jaws as more of a cliche and gimmick -- the iconic shark fin, the tension music, the dumber sequels, and countless copycats -- than the watershed it is.

But still...meh.

I quite like the novel - it's a great night-shift killer (if you'll pardon the pun) - but the bits that were stripped out for the movie adaptation really, really did need to be stripped out.

That said - I agree with your second point Mr Wojo Sir.