The Goonies by Dave Grusin

Jay

Yea you know, I kinda have too. It's weird but, despite it being one of my grails for the past 25 years, and listening to it 3 times in a row the first week I had it, I haven't listened to it or thought about it that much since, not sure why. But I recently added it to my ipod and plan on revisiting it real soon

Nuts...I hate to ask this of anyone, but here's the situation...I see that there seem to be some left at SAE, and I have not gotten a hold of this one. I am extremely tight on funds at the moment, but I get paid on Friday. Could I get some kind soul to snag a copy for me, and then I can send money to said kind soul on Friday through PayPal or some other route? Please PM me if you can do this.

There will still be copies at all the major retailers (screen archives, movie music, intrada), etc for weeks to come once varese's stock runs out, which also might not even happen this week. I wouldn't worry yet, especially since Friday is only 2 days from now

Erm, I guess I vastly underrated the drive of the speculators out there, because this is now sold out at Varese, Intrada, SAE, and moviemusic. Sorry about that.

Looks like there is at least one new copy on amazon for $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003BWDO20/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1274987328&sr=1-1&condition=all

Even being unfamiliar with the movie I decided to pick this up anyway after the low quantity alert.

Jason's high enthusiasm for the score and the samples won me over.

I guess that makes this my first 'blind buy'.

I ordered from SAE on the 26th at about 10:00 PM EST and it arrived today just two days later (that was fast) complete with complimentary FSM magnet featuring the one and only John Williams (and those three other guys) as per my request. :rolleyes:

Putting on the CD now...

Jason's high enthusiasm for the score and the samples won me over.

I guess that makes this my first 'blind buy'.

Woah! Cool!

I just finished with my second listen and I believe I can say that I'm happy with my purchase.

I was kind of disappointed after the first listen. The themes from the samples weren't as prevalent as I hoped they'd be.

Fratelli Chase is a great opening, but then the score moves into subtler territory that didn't really click.

And also, I was kind of put off by the synths.

Still, the more swashbuckling material was so fun and catchy that I couldn't wait to listen to it again.

I already had the Fratelli's and Goonies themes stuck in my head.

With my expectations 'cut down to size' as it were, my second listen was more enjoyable (which is actually not too infrequently the case when experiencing new soundtracks or movies that I've been anticipating -- sometimes it just takes a second run-through before things settle in and feel right).

This score may not be one of the greats, but it's a lot of fun and I can definitely say that The Goonies will be getting frequent playtime. :rolleyes: *commences third listen*

Also, I found this higher resolution cover (for those that care):

http://filmmusicreporter.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/goonies.jpg

Received this from SAE today. But no magnet :lol:

On SAE's website, just before you confirm your order, there's a place for comments. I specifically requested one featuring Williams.

They probably can't honor that every time, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I think if The Goonies had originally been released as like a 45 minute score album, it would be much better received, and this complete release would be most welcomed. To suddenly go from NO score to ALL the score is jarring, and the CD is ALOT to take in at once. It really took me until my 3rd listen to fully appreciate it the way I expected to before it was released.

I still may cut it down to the best 45 minutes or so before putting it on my ipod

I think if The Goonies had originally been released as like a 45 minute score album, it would be much better received, and this complete release would be most welcomed. To suddenly go from NO score to ALL the score is jarring, and the CD is ALOT to take in at once. It really took me until my 3rd listen to fully appreciate it the way I expected to before it was released.

I still may cut it down to the best 45 minutes or so before putting it on my ipod

That's true, although if you suggested that with a JW score you'd be burned at the stake.

This is a brilliant score, by the way. I was grinning from ear to ear when I put it on.

• 3 months later...

So I ended up finding a used copy on Amazon for $30. It's not really used, just opened, so it worked out!

I am really glad I spent the money on this!

The highlights:

Map and Willie

The Goondocks

Plumbing

They're Here and Skull Cave Chase (:53-1:35 is my favorite part of the score)

Water Slide and Galleon

Sloth & Chunk

I grew up with the Goonies, so this is a fantastic score to own!

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this old thread just in case anyone out there is interested....hope this isn't old news, I didn't see it posted anywhere.

If you're really, really....and I mean REALLY....interested in a breakdown of every single note of anything even remotely considered "musical" in the film, there's a giant breakdown - complete with timings both in the film and each one on its own - of the film's score (including source music, etc) here:

http://www.grusin.net/the_goonies.htm

• 7 years later...

Goonies and Ghostbusters scores re-issued after being OOP for years? Could this be the start of a new film score release Renaissance? ;)

10 hours ago, The Original said:

What a coincidence this thread was upped, I just heard they're re-releasing this score! Not that I care for it much though.

That's the opposite of a coincidence.  It was bumped BECAUSE of the new announcement.

Seeing it played, it really highlights what a wonderfully fun opening cue it is. Genuinely legendary in the pantheon of great film music, well remembered.

If you can get past the cringeworthy conducter, it's a gem of a channel that.

• 9 months later...

Opinions wanted...  I missed out on getting the 2010 version of this and want to get it.  I have enough in Amazon GCs to buy it but really don't want to spend around $100 or so for it.  Discogs is pricy too.  Should I bite the bullet and get it on Amazon w/ GC $$ or wait for a better deal?  I don't want to get the latest version that just came out, my OCD won't allow it LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I bid on a sealed copy on eBay and won, I was the only bidder surprisingly.  Shipped from the UK and just received it today about 3 weeks later, not to shabby all things considered.  Pretty good buy around $65 for a sealed item!  Just finished listening so glad to finally have this in physical form.

14 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Well, I bid on a sealed copy on eBay and won, I was the only bidder surprisingly.  Shipped from the UK and just received it today about 3 weeks later, not to shabby all things considered.  Pretty good buy around $65 for a sealed item!  Just finished listening so glad to finally have this in physical form.

Timely bump; I just listened to this album today while working!  Hadn't listened in years.  Fell in love with the score all over again, maybe more than I ever had before.  Really great stuff.

5 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Wait, is it this presentation?

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11906/.f

That's the 2019 reissue; The original 2010 release had bonus tracks.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Timely bump; I just listened to this album today while working!  Hadn't listened in years.  Fell in love with the score all over again, maybe more than I ever had before.  Really great stuff.

Yes!  I may have to dial up David Collins' podcast on it again for old time's sake until Superman gets posted on Wednesday :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...