The Goonies by Dave Grusin

Jay

Link: http://www.varesesar...d=VCL-0310-1104

CDs will begin shipping the week of March 15

Limited Edition of 5000 copies

Music Composed and Conducted by Dave Grusin

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of the much-loved, Richard Donner-directed, film The Goonies, as well as composer Dave Grusin's 75th birthday, the Varèse Sarabande CD Club is thrilled to offer this very special film music premiere release.

Featuring Grusin's complete swashbuckling score, plus a few bonus cues, the over 79-minute CD should give all Goonies fans everything they have hoped for! Jazz icon Dave Grusin is one of the great legends of film music, having composed such classic scores as On Golden Pond, Tootsie, The Fabulous Baker Boys, The Firm, And Justice For All and Absence of Malice. Grusin also won and Academy Award for The Milagro Beanfield War.

From the imagination of Steven Spielberg, The Goonies plunges a band of small heroes into a swashbuckling, surprise-around-every-corner quest beyond their wildest dreams! Following a mysterious treasure map into a spectacular underground realm of twisting passages, outrageous booby-traps and a long-lost pirate ship full of golden doubloons, the kids race to stay one step ahead of a family of bumbling bad guys...and a mild-mannered monster with a face only a mother could love. A family adventure classic from start to buccaneering finish, he Goonies is a cinematic treasure trove of breathtaking action, dazzling effects and shiver-yer-timbers thrills!

Dave Grusin will also be a special guest of the 6th International Film Music Conference in Úbeda, Spain (July 15-18, 2010) and will be performing music from The Goonies – live ... with a full symphony orchestra! Mr. Grusin will also be autographing copies of this new CD at the festival.

1. Fratelli Chase (2:49)

2. Map and Willie (2:16)

3. The Goondocks (Goonies Theme) (2:04)

4. Doubloon (1:47)

5. Lighthouse (1:19)

6. Cellar and Sloth (1:41)

7. Restaurant Trash (:55)

8. The "It," Fifty Dollar Bills and a Stiff (4:36)

9. It All Starts Here (1:30)

10. Plumbing (1:25)

11. Skull and Signature (3:25)

12. Boulders, Bats and a Blender (2:33)

13. Wishing Well and the Fratellis Find Coin (2:49)

14. Mikey's Vision (1:52)

15. Oath and Bobby Traps (1:06)

16. Triple Stones and a Ball (2:11)

17. Pee Break and Kissing Tunnel (2:06)

18. They're Here and Skull Cave Chase (3:03)

19. Playing the Bones (4:19)

20. Water Slide and Galleon (1:38)

21. Octopus (1:02)

22. The Inferno (1:14)

23. One Eyed Willie (3:05)

24. Treasure, Data & Mouth, and Walk the Plank (3:18)

25. Sloth & Chunk (1:58)

26. Mama & Sloth (1:58)

27. The Fighting Fratellis, Sloth's Choice and Ultimate Booby Trap (3:24)

28. The Reunion and Fratellis on Beach (3:39)

29. No Firme and Pirate Ship (2:42)

30. End Titles (Goonies Theme) (3:06)

Bonus Tracks:

31. Fratelli Chase (original version) (3:35)

32. Triple Stones and a Ball (original version) (1:54)

33. They're Here and Skull Cave Chase (original version) (1:55)

34. Octopus (original version) (1:03)

Please click the following links to listen to the sound tracks:

01. Fratelli Chase 02. The Goondocks (Goonies Theme) 03. Water Slide and Galleon 04. No Firme and Pirate Ship

goonies1.jpg

goonies2.jpg

This is great news! There is far too little Dave Grusin music out there. Personally, and although I have listened to his scores on film/d.v.d., I only posess "The Firm" on c.d. Well done, Varese!

P.s., can anyone tell me what the funny little "spidery" logo is on Varese's covers?

P.p.s. Sorry, dudes, me, again! If you like Grusin's scores, then check out his stuff on GRP Records. "One Of A Kind" is brilliant.

I wish Intrada would make their announcement earlier in the day. I hope The Goonies doesn't sell out before this evening.

The nostalgia and "holy shit dude" factors make this score essential to those who get giddy over things like nostalgia. To those who don't, move along.

Oooh I didn't even notice Neil's name on there. I wonder if Neil can pop in and share any stories about the music the CD?

And I am thrilled by the length - over 79 minutes! There isn't anywhere close to that amount of music in the actual film. I can't believe the Octopus scene was scored! Actually I can - it was cut at such a late stage in post-production, Data still refers to it on the beach at the end!

I assume this release will not feature the Captain Blood or Superman music.... Superman for sure, as that was clearly just directly from the Superman recordings (both being owned by Warner Brothers). The first time we hear Captain Blood is like that too, but I could never tell if later players were woven into the score or more needle drops.

Before the party poopers arrive let me say that isn't the greatest score written but it's a damn good one.

Wanting this release has nothing to do with childhood memories or nostalgia, it has to do with a teenager going to see the movie and enjoying the score as he watched the film. Then being disappointed that the only soundtrack release is the dreaded song with one cue album.

Congrats to Varese and those involved for making sure this wonderful score by Dave Grusin is finally available.

There are samples on the site you can listen to ;)

And its a great movie, I'd recommend netflixing it! (Do they have netflix in the UK?)

I assume this release will not feature the Captain Blood or Superman music.... Superman for sure, as that was clearly just directly from the Superman recordings (both being owned by Warner Brothers).

Are you sure about this? It always seemed to me an intentional quote written in Grusin's score. The same goes for Don Juan.

Of course I could be wrong.

A score doesn't have to be the best ever written to be enjoyable. As far as 80s action/adventure scores go, it's up there among the best and most memorable. I've been waiting for an official album of this for years.

If you've trained yourself to only eat and like filet mignon, then you probably have "outgrown" the childish taste for a cheeseburger. This is a cheeseburger with all the trimmings. Delicious!

Wait, is Captain Blood used along with The Adventures of Don Juan?

I assume this release will not feature the Captain Blood or Superman music.... Superman for sure, as that was clearly just directly from the Superman recordings (both being owned by Warner Brothers).

Are you sure about this? It always seemed to me an intentional quote written in Grusin's score. The same goes for Don Juan.

Of course I could be wrong.

I'm not sure, no. I am pretty sure the Captain Blood stuff is woven into the score, but I always thought the Superman quote was just needle dropped in from that score. I guess we'll find out soon! Or maybe Neil can shed some light on it for us?

Where is the Don Juan quote?

Yay! That's easily my most eagerly anticipated release since the Indiana Jones Collection. I have waited for this so long. And it features everything :):P:)

What you're referring to as "Captain Blood" is actually a quote from Max Steiner's The Adventures of Don Juan score.

Yes Mike Matessino just sent me a message. You're right - Even though the movie shown on the TV that Sloth is watching is Captain Blood, it's actually "The Adventures of Don Juan" music that's heard in the film. He re-recorded "Main Title" and "Procession" from TAODJ, and it will all be on the Varese CD.

The Superman quote was also recorded by him, late in the scoring sessions as an overdub (just a horn solo). It sounds like it will be on the Varese CD as well, I asked him for further clarification to be sure.

What caused them to get separated?

I feel extra silly for forgetting that it was really Don Juan music and not Captain Blood music; I own this CD! I bought it when trying to find the music!

What caused them to get separated?

Who knows? You're dealing with one of the largest media libraries in the world. That they can find this stuff at all is a testament to their system. The best news is that everything that was needed was found for everyone to enjoy on this new album.

And no, I don't actually know what was on those tapes (this was Mike's project). Through research some recording dates were found with no corresponding material and I knew the right person to call to get it.

Neil

Cool, gotcha.

Mike just confirmed for me that the Superman quote is definitely on there. Yay!

If you've trained yourself to only eat and like filet mignon, then you probably have "outgrown" the childish taste for a cheeseburger. This is a cheeseburger with all the trimmings. Delicious!

This music sounds really nice. To me, it's child-like but not childish. I get a childish vibe from a lot of eighties action scores like these, but this just sounds... lovingly crafted.

Good / great music will always stand the test of time. The songs from the film may be outdated by the public's standards, although I do like Cindy Lauper's song, but the score holds up well, if not better, compared to a majority of today's film scores.

Wait... there's a track called "Pee Break and the Kissing Tunnel"?

You never saw the movie. They actually take a pee break during their adventure, which leads to an awkward kissing scene.

Haha, of course not.

The pee break just separates the two girls from the other guys. The awkwardness comes from one girl not kissing the guy she expects to.

All clothes are on and hands are where they should be for a PG movie.

They actually take a pee break during their adventure, which leads to an awkward kissing scene.

Just wanted to make sure people don't read that the wrong way. :P

The Fratelli Chase alone is such a great, iconic piece of music that is burned into my memory forever.

I bought Dave Grusin's CD "Cinemagic", which had a re-recording of it, as well as this CD which featured a suite of the score....... but neither version compares to the actual film recording at all. They are a different arrangement and a weaker performance. It will be such a treat to finally have the real version after 25 years.

I can't WAIT for this CD!

Just remember, thanks to Fratelli Chase, this is not only the score to Goonies, but also the soundtrack to approximately 9 zillion movie trailers.

I'll be ordering tonight, just after I find out what Intrada is offering.

Hey Neil that's cool you were able to work on the CD too, as far as getting things together. Even though I can't pay for my copy in April I'll be looking forward to hearing it once I get it. :P

Wasn't The Fratelli Chase released on the song OST?

Nope, the song OST had the end credits (Goonies Theme)

1. The Goonies 'R' Good Enough

Performed By Cyndi Lauper

2. Eight Arms to Hold You

Performed By Goon Squad

3. Love Is Alive

Performed By Philip Bailey

4. I Got Nothing

Performed By The Bangles

5. 14K

Performed By Teena Marie

6. Wherever You're Goin' (It's Alright)

Performed By REO Speedwagon

7. She's So Good to Me

Performed By Luther Vandross

8. What A Thrill

Performed By Cyndi Lauper

9. Save the Night

Performed By Joseph Williams

10. Theme From 'The Goonies'

Performed By Dave Grusin

Fantastic news. In my opinion this is a great score that very much deserved a complete edition. :)

I'm so happy for this to FINALLY get released. I've seen the movie a zillion times, and the Fratelli Chase track already sets the mood perfectly for the trip. I've listened to that re-recorded suite during a huge part of my teenage years. And now it's going to be complete, yay!

I think I'm starting to get what's good about how Intrada doesn't announce their CDs until they are ready to ship them. I now have a nice order placed for The Goonies, but I have to wait TWO WEEKS PLUS before it will arrive at my home. If an Intrada announced today interested me, I'd have it by the end of the week

Yeah, Jason. I'm feeling your pain now. I think I'll watch GOONIES tomorrow. That may help relieve the anxiety of wait, lol. To hear the music and KNOW everything I am hearing will be on that CD (minus the pop songs), and MORE! Hell, we've waited this long, right? What's a few more weeks? Okay, okay... I know the answer... *is in pain*

I've watched The Goonies again yesterday and noticed that the music you hear when Chunck finds the Chester Copperpot news article on the attic is the same as the first 40 seconds or so from the cue "Map and Willie". In the film you'll hear this music twice, but on the soundtrack only once. The cue "Sloth & Chunck" should include the The Adventures of Don Juan and Superman quotes.

I think I'm starting to get what's good about how Intrada doesn't announce their CDs until they are ready to ship them. I now have a nice order placed for The Goonies, but I have to wait TWO WEEKS PLUS before it will arrive at my home. If an Intrada announced today interested me, I'd have it by the end of the week

This is one thing that annoyed me a little about Varese when I picked up Nightwing last year. There was a week or two delay before they began shipping, and even then it was quite a bit longer before mine was dispatched. With them announcing pre-shipping, you'd think they'd be a bit more prepared for the load.

Waiting for a score release when you've already paid for it, and have a 20 minute foot warmer (and a hundred other scores) to hold you until then is a lot different than, say, waiting 30 hours for paramedics that never come.

One thing we forgot to mention is that in addition to the Don Juan and Superman music (which will be on the CD in their proper places), Grusin also re-recorded the James Bond Theme for Data's first scene in the beginning of the movie.

Sadly, Mike has confirmed for me that that cue is not on the new Varese CD due to space limitations :P Not a big loss, as we'll have plenty of variations of Data's Theme on CD, which fits the character better anyway :D