Jay

Let's continue to talk about the film score to Avatar, without saying any of the things that will cause Mr. Breathmask to lock the thread again.

Please, let's just discuss the music and not have a million posts about how mad we are the old thread was closed. let's just move on.

I'll start.

So which version of "You Don't Dream in Cryo" do you all prefer? The OST version of the film version?

What are the best cues that aren't on the OST?

I'm still in love with Quartich Down.....that should never have been left off the OST

I completely agree! That has to be my favorite cue that was uncovered. I remember hearing it in the theater when I saw the movie the first time and immediately screamed in my head "Where the HELL was this on the OST?!". In fact most of the left-off action music is pretty stellar, like the Thanator Attack, and the fight music at the end. Makes for a much more fulfilling experience. I love it!

I'll just read what I have to read about this topic everywhere else (including the FSM board) since we don't have a precise explanation of why the other thread was closed (still seemed borderline ok to me).

Yea I don't get it either. We were discussing legal CDs made by people who worked on the film. *shrug*

I'm fine if individual posts that break the rules get deleted but locking threads isn't very helpful, or guide us in not repeating the same mistake.

Everyone started to talk about how it had leak, with several "insinuations" about PMs to get the thing. That's against the rules. The moment a legal promo CD is leaked and people don't pay to get it, it becomes a bootleg.

And the board is sadly not a democracy. I don't like the "don't even mention bootlegs" stuff we have been getting, but since I like this board I have to follow their rules. Everyone else should too.

Everyone started to talk about how it had leak, with several "insinuations" about PMs to get the thing. That's against the rules. The moment a legal promo CD is leaked and people don't pay to get it, it becomes a bootleg.

Yes, plus the fact that there was an addition to the discussion that even more blatantly violated the rule.

And the board is sadly not a democracy. I don't like the "don't even mention bootlegs" stuff we have been getting, but since I like this board I have to follow their rules. Everyone else should too.

Good man.

I'm pretty sure that if this site became a democracy, then the great joys of making the rules ourselves might come bundled with the not-so-great responsibility of totally footing the bill for the site's upkeep.

So in the actual film, what plays over the end credits? I mean besides the Leona Lewis song... is it just the two pieces found on the 3CD?

So in the actual film, what plays over the end credits? I mean besides the Leona Lewis song... is it just the two pieces found on the 3CD?

I think there was some bridging material before the Leona Lewis song but I can't remember from where that was tracked. And if I remember correctly Gathering the Na'Vi Clans for Battle edit and Jake's First Flight edit were the only pieces playing during the credits after the song. This was one of the disappointments for me, no real end credits suite.

Dang it, Horner! Can't get the main theme out of my head. :) The only reason Horner can get away with his ridiculous level of self-plagiarism is the simple fact that the material itself is just so...compelling.

Er, some of it, at least.

After hearing more of the music, I have to give credit to Horner for assembling the OST, which is all in all quite balanced. I know there were significant action pieces missing from it but it is a more balanced listening experience for that in my opinion. That is not to say I do not enjoy more material from the score as the complete score offers naturally a well rounded view of the music and some quite stunning pieces were indeed left off the OST for the lack of space.

The OST also contains significant amount of alternates as only a few cues could possibly be film versions if not film mixes of the cues. These alternates are all a plus in my book. In fact I prefer Becoming One of "The People" from the OST to the film version.

I've not had chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but I'm pleased with what I have heard so no complaints from me. Does anyone know if the complete final battle music is there and is it presented in chronological order?

Also, exactly which tracks are in mono?

I thought the main theme was original to this movie, or are you referring to the tribe theme?

The main theme is a kissin' cousin to TITANIC's MY HEART WILL GO ON (people near me in the cinema even sang 'Near, far, wherever you are' whenever the tune approached).

I agree that it's nice enough to warrant another incarnation, but it surely was a chuckle.

I've not had chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but I'm pleased with what I have heard so no complaints from me. Does anyone know if the complete final battle music is there and is it presented in chronological order?

Also, exactly which tracks are in mono?

These tracks are in mono which is a shame, as they are some of the longer cues and contain great atmospheric music and percussive action.

Pure Spirit Of The Forests (4:19)(Actually the scene where Jake fights off the Viperwolves in the jungle)

Jake Meets The Na'Vi (10:42)

Jake Sleeps (1:03)

Jake's First Flight (6:34)

Intro (0:37)

Great Leonoptryx (2:41)

Thanks Incanus.

@Publicist

There is only a vague similarity as far as I'm concerned... the first couple of notes or so; but the form and tone are completely different. I regard it as an original melody, which I'm actually glad I'm able to say for once, about a Horner composition.

Thanks Incanus.

@Publicist

There is only a vague similarity as far as I'm concerned... the first couple of notes or so; but the form and tone are completely different. I regard it as an original melody, which I'm actually glad I'm able to say for once, about a Horner composition.

I agree. If that's a rip-off (a I the only one tired of this term?) then Williams' own Hedwig's theme is a secondary Hook theme (Hook-Napped track around 1:00). Which in both cases is rubbish.

Karol

I'm pretty sure that if this site became a democracy, then the great joys of making the rules ourselves might come bundled with the not-so-great responsibility of totally footing the bill for the site's upkeep.

Quite a number of members have in fact made financial contributions (myself included), so actually I think that's not too far from the truth. It would be nice therefore if our opinions on the rules actually made any difference.

And I just noticed that an earlier post of mine in this thread was deleted - Marc - was it because I said your rule sucks, or because I dared to talk about music not in the official release?

I deleted your post. Keep complaining, it's getting fun. -- Ricard

- Keep deleting. I enjoy slow, protracted protests :)

--

The mono cues are disappointing - the first part of Jake's First Flight has a wonderful ethereal version of the Pandora theme.

The moment a legal promo CD is leaked and people don't pay to get it, it becomes a bootleg.

As far as i know, no first-hand person pay for promos.

I think selling a promo is more illegal than sharing it. The ebay auction is worse thank a link in some obscure forums.

'For promotional use only. Not For sale'

On a side note... i wonder if the TPM UE had not been released, and it had surfaced as an academy promo...would people regard it as a blessing, like Avatar, or would have been still bashed because its an 'iso' track from the movie?? :)

We would have considered it a blessing. The TPM UE pissed us off because it was not the product Sony claimed it to be in the ads, not to mention the packaging itself

Really looking forward to what the 4 disc version is about. Recording sessions?

Does anyone here know how the tracks from the promo differentiate from the album tracks? How does the album and promo version of "YDDIC" differ?

Anyhow, the promo does need slight amount of editing. There is too much space of dead sound at the beginning and ends of some of the tracks. I'm thinking about omitting the mono tracks too. A real shame though, I remember watching the film and being mesmerized by the piece when the bug lands on Nytri's bow (Pure Spirits of the Forest on the promo).

Yes. There are 4 official & completely legitimate releases of the score.

1. The commercial OST, which contains ~74 minutes of music selected by James Horner, much of which is alternate to the takes used in the film

2. The FYC academy promo, which is 69 minutes and contains some of the same music as the OST, mixed with a other music that was not.

3. The 3CD "promo" (the one there was a $3,060 ebay auction for), which is an exact isolated score of the film, complete with microedits, tracking, missing music, etc. Also 6 tracks are in mono.

4. The 4CD "recording sessions", presumably containing the full performance of each cue, as well as every alternate. A tracklist to this has not been posted anywhere, but it appears to use the full slate numbers (ie 3m1 Viperwolves)

I thought the main theme was original to this movie, or are you referring to the tribe theme?

I'm not sure which one - whichever one has the first two notes from Titanic. That in and of itself doesn't really constitute self-plagiarism at all, but when it's Horner, and when it's Cameron's first film since Titanic, and when the melodic contour after those two notes is similar, it's enough to elicit a snicker. But it's such a freaking gorgeous theme that I wouldn't have it any other way.

Guys: Quint has informed me that he's received a month long ban for criticising the censoring rule and wants everyone else to be careful because this thread is already dangerously close to the tipping point again.

Thanks Incanus.

@Publicist

I agree. If that's a rip-off (a I the only one tired of this term?) then Williams' own Hedwig's theme is a secondary Hook theme (Hook-Napped track around 1:00). Which in both cases is rubbish.

Karol

I think 'rip-off' is the wrong word, i only found it amusing that other people (presumably no film music connection) noticed the similarity.

The love theme from FOUR FEATHERS and the danger motif are the only real borrowings. A no-issue for me, since i know my Horner and at this point wouldn't want him any other way. :lol:

Guys: Quint has informed me that he's received a month long ban for criticising the censoring rule and wants everyone else to be careful because this thread is already dangerously close to the tipping point again.

That's why I stop posting in these kinds of threads after they get out of hand.

That's why I stop posting in these kinds of threads after they get out of hand.

Some people have a different definition of 'out of hand' Koray.

On a side note... i wonder if the TPM UE had not been released, and it had surfaced as an academy promo...would people regard it as a blessing, like Avatar, or would have been still bashed because its an 'iso' track from the movie?? :lol:

I'm sure it would've been seen as a blessing. Big difference between something leaking, and a proper product to be sold.

Thanks Incanus.

@Publicist

Karol

I think 'rip-off' is the wrong word, i only found it amusing that other people (presumably no film music connection) noticed the similarity.

The love theme from FOUR FEATHERS and the danger motif are the only real borrowings. A no-issue for me, since i know my Horner and at this point wouldn't want him any other way. :lol:

Since I haven't heard a note of The Four Feathers could you give me some example of which theme in Avatar is it? Just curious.

Karol

what?

I thought that 'insult' was sarcastical, and Ricard wrote a ':lol:', as if he took the joke.

Maybe something more was written that i didnt read...

I'll have to work on an expanded score...there's a lot of underscore that really drags down the listening experience

I'm just not familiar with it enough to know exactly what's on the OST and what's not

it only partially works(makes the page partially blacked out but still loads). PartyPoker.com is one nasty pop up

Are you sure you didn't get addware on your computer?

Gosh, I can't get over how good the War cues are in this score. The battle music for Quaritch and Jake is exceptional.

Agreed! Horner seems to have expanded his action palette - the majority of it sounds new, with a few references to previous scores here and there (Aliens and Mighty Joe Young). The action music in particular seems to be more inspired and energetic... more Legend of Zorro than Troy.

it only partially works(makes the page partially blacked out but still loads). PartyPoker.com is one nasty pop up

Are you sure you didn't get addware on your computer?

I'm going to check .