Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

It has been shaped. That's why we know that sci-fi that focusses too strong on technology doesn't do well with the big audience, not in literature, not in movies.

I don't think it has to be like that, however.

There's hard sci-fi and hard sci-fi. A film that sets itself a certain threshold for its technology and science can, besides that, be of many shapes and styles, possibly finding a way to draw a large audience.

Someone on the Nolan's fan website suggested Robert Elswitt might be the new DP. Would be cool. But I'd love it to be Emmanuel Lubezki. His work for Terrence Malick (of whom Nolan is a big fan) is absolutely stellar.

Karol

I thought that started filming awhile ago though? And just because he's directing a movie doesn't mean he'll never light one. I assume he's doing the photography for his own film.

Actually, Jess Hall (Hot Fuzz, The Spectacular Now) is the DP for Transcendance.

It'll be interesting to see which DP he chooses and what Interstellar will look like compared to his past films, which have all been shot by Pfister and are superb and have a particular aesthetic. I'd love for him to work with Deakins.

Or Dean Cundey. The man has been getting some awful movies to light nowadays (ever since Spielberg left him for Kaminski), and he's a great DP when he gets good movies to do.

Wouldn't mind seeing Nolan work with him.

Hoyte van Hoytema is a good choice. He did a great job with Let The Right One In and The Fighter. It's a shame Fujifilm stopped making motion picture stock this year since Hoytema loved using it for every film he's done.

Not that he's adverse to working on Kodak stock, but still, it's an unusual but good choice for Interstellar.

• 2 weeks later...

Movie people are always pretty.

then how do you explain Mickey Rourke?

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting fact: WB gave up their rights to co-produce Friday the 13th and South Park sequels in order to get involved with Interstellar. Paramount has five years to make the follow-ups without any legal trouble or red tape from WB's end.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/christopher-nolans-interstellar-warner-bros-562879

In exchange for that, WB will let Paramount co-finance a TBD A-list property in the future. That project will probably be Nolan's post-Interstellar film or a DC property.

Interesting fact: WB gave up their rights to co-produce Friday the 13th and South Park sequels in order to get involved with Interstellar. Paramount has five years to make the follow-ups without any legal trouble or red tape from WB's end.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/christopher-nolans-interstellar-warner-bros-562879

In exchange for that, WB will let Paramount co-finance a TBD A-list property in the future. That project will probably be Nolan's post-Interstellar film or a DC property.

Paramount's got Friday the 13th back again, interesting to see. I doubt WB would share a DC property with them. If anything, another Vertigo based project or an original development.

Paramount's got Friday the 13th back again, interesting to see. I doubt WB would share a DC property with them. If anything, another Vertigo based project or an original development.

WB and Paramount did co-produce Watchmen (a film based on a DC property), although it didn't do gangbusters like Nolan's last two Batman films. And they've also collaborated on Zodiac and Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

The article specifically states that Paramount has a clause for a "TBD A-list property" that WB will make, although whether they'll choose or not is unclear. Plus, WB doesn't have that many A-list properties in development that don't already have a financial partner/co-financer (like MGM co-financing The Hobbit trilogy).

I think that "A-list" property Paramount will get in on will probably be one of the following: 1) Christopher Nolan's post-Interstellar film, 2) a lesser-known DC property, or 3) possible sequels to Pacific Rim or Godzilla. I think option 1 or 3 is very likely, considering WB's co-financing partner Legendary doesn't seem likely to re-up their pact after this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to think he was a dead good as a baddie in Cliffhanger when I was a kid but I saw it again recently and couldn't get over how awful he was! In a good way. Scene chewing isn't even in it.

He was always hilarious on 3rd Rock From The Sun. And probably the only good human performance in the new Planet of the Apes movie.

Great to see him on the cast!

he was so funny in 3rd Rock when he and Shatner we're discussing their similar airline travel experience.

• 3 weeks later...