Expanded Prequels Coming! (April Fools' Joke)

John Crichton

Woo hoo! Per the main page:

Sony to Release Expanded Prequel Scores PDF Print E-mail

Thursday, 01 April 2010

PRESS RELEASE:

SONY CLASSICAL TO OFFER EXPANDED ALBUMS ON ITUNES - Launching with Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace

NEW YORK, Apr. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- In partnership with Apple Computers, Sony Classical will be launching a new line of downloadable albums. "The Signature Line", available in the high-resolution iTunes Plus format, will offer exciting extra material previously not available on conventional Compact Discs. The premiere release will be a brand new re-edited and remastered release of Sony's hit album, Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace.

"This is an exciting release for all music and Star Wars fans" said Phil Lirpa, Junior Vice President at Lucasfilm. "This new edition of 'The Phantom Menace' score would only fit on three Compact Discs, which isn't feasible to release in stores, but with Apple's iTunes we can get all of this music out there for everyone to enjoy and to remain in the catalog."

The album has been produced by John Williams.

To commemorate the launch of this new line, Sony Classical will be issuing 1500 limited edition three disc Compact Disc sets signed by composer John Williams. Available exclusively from starwars.com, this true "Signature Line" album will retail for $99.99 and will be available the same day as the iTunes album, Tuesday, April 20.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

RCA Red Seal, Sony Classical, deutsche harmonia mundi, Masterworks Broadway and Masterworks Jazz are labels of Sony Masterworks. For email updates and information regarding RCA Red Seal, Sony Classical, deutsche harmonia mundi, Masterworks Broadway and Masterworks Jazz artists, promotions, tours and repertoire, please visit www.sonymasterworks.com.

SOURCE Sony Classical

www.sonymasterworks.com

He he he. I love it, Ricard!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw that, but I can't seem to be able to find the source on the site that it lists.

Sony may not have it up yet, but I've got independent confirmation from certain sources that this is absolutely true.

The "Williams will sign 1500 copies" sort of sealed the joke for me.

If it was more along the lines of "Williams will sign a contract forbidding the release of any additional music", I might not have rolled my eyes.

"Data, that is not funny!" :)

I totally fell for it. The "3-discs not selling in stores" thing did strike me as ridiculously stupid, but then I remembered that this was Lucasfilm, so I totally let it go.

And here I was thinking "What if it's during the day on the 20th? Who am I gonna get to buy me one while I'm in Fort Worth seeing the man himself?"

Sigh.

I was expecting something more like Star Wars Prequels: The Soundtrack Collection. Featuring repacks of the original albums with a photo booklet, screensavers, stickers, temporary tattoos and a fourth disc with 5 minutes of previously unreleased music ("Across the Stars" dialogue version) and interviews with Rick McCallum and Ben Burtt.

With all the goodies coming out these days I think the April fools jokes are losing their luster.

Although it would be the perfect day for one of the labels to actually announce a big release for real.

With all the goodies coming out these days I think the April fools jokes are losing their luster.

Ricard's recent April Fools jokes just aren't as inspired as his old ones were. It feels like he's just going through the motions. His humor may have grown in complexity and technical proficiency, but somehow the magic just isn't there anymore. He's getting up there in years, of course, so this is to be expected. He's updating the site less and less each year, and it's clear he's in semi-retirement. I say he's earned it.

By the way, Google's April Fools joke is hilarious: http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacy.html

Even this is an April's Fool, I think it's very likely that major labels will go the digital download-only way in the not too distant future, even for special releases like this.

At least I will not spend $99.99. Now I'm sad.sad.gif

finally the prequel trilogy will be released, I can not believe itcolgate.gifcolgate.gifcolgate.gifcolgate.gifcolgate.gif

Uhh, you realize, this is an April fools joke don't you?

At least I will not spend $99.99. Now I'm sad.sad.gif

This is AMAZING news!!! Even the blog has CONFIRMED that it's not a hoax!! His contact at Sony has more details! Check it out!!!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

It is the same press release that JWFan has posted, also in Sony Classical website no news about SW Prequels Scores Expanded Releases.

I can now confirm through my certain sources that this release will be, to the relief of us all, screensaver free. Still no word if the bonus disk will be more unreleased music or just interviews.

At the end of this day I think you'll be disappointed :)

Really? Why?? :D

Some people really have too much time on their hands...

Who are you referring to?

This is AMAZING news!!! Even the blog has CONFIRMED that it's not a hoax!! His contact at Sony has more details! Check it out!!!

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

It is the same press release that JWFan has posted, also in Sony Classical website no news about SW Prequels Scores Expanded Releases.

But the guy says it's confirmed! There's even another link on the blog! :)

Yes, Sebulba, the blog links, to a YouTube video. Your optimism is not contagious and borders on ridiculousness.

Stop beating this stick with a dead horse.

In other news,