The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

If no-one else, I'd say Powell, Giacchino, or Howard Shore (Hey, it would be interesting to hear how he would handle it) would be who I would like to score it, but most likely it would be a RCP "composer"

If it has to be a RC composer, then John Powell would be great. He's done two fine superhero scores (X-Men 3 and Hancock), and he can emulate the tone Marvel Studios wants.

I hate saying this, being a loving fan, but I don't trust Christophe Beck with action films like this, even though Whedon adds actual plots, emotion, and thoughtful design of plot & script -- which can inspire any talented composer, after thee (for me) lack-luster Percy Jackson, and from the samples I've heard, "Red". I think it would do Beck wonders to study with somebody like William Stromberg -- for example. Then I might look forward.

David Newman is my main choice. But I'm a little leary after "The Spirit" and "The Spy Next Door"; I want the Newman who brought us "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure", "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey", "Operation Dumbo Drop", so forth. If he can pull off something like B&T1 -- that would be icing on the cake of hiring him. And if, coincidently, he gets hired to score "Bill & Ted 3" (reported the script was finished Aril 25) -- that would be the best news of the year for me, sans Yared getting a historical epic film.

Robert Duncan, most certainly needs the break, and if his 7+ minute piece that ended "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is any indication of what he might do (imagine a big orchestra, too...), then hire this guy:

Joel Goldsmith gets a vote, too.

(check out the other three suites)

Heck, what about William Stromberg -- has he done any scores with a modern touchg, that I assume Whedon would want?

I want the standard players out (Silvestri [especially after "G.I. Joe"], J.N.H. [especially after "Green Lantern"]), and NONE -- not a single person who's ever worked with Zimmer or as part of his "camp".

And, being a champion of television composers, I'd love to see Velton Ray Bunch move up.

We are not exactly short of composers.

From the veterans in film, Christopher Young gets my vote.

JNH, go to the fantasy-thrillers room, over there, thank you. (And this is coming from a fan).

As for the Zimmr camp, if it was up to me John Powell could be allowed if given the time to develop something new for him.

I want the standard players out (Silvestri [especially after "G.I. Joe"], J.N.H. [especially after "Green Lantern"]), and NONE -- not a single person who's ever worked with Zimmer or as part of his "camp".

I wouldn't count Silvestri out, especially if his Captain America score is a return to form. And granted, you hate Zimmer and RC passionately -- but I thought you didn't mind John Powell? So much more sophisticated, talented, and knows how to write a good theme. But considering the track record of directors on Marvel Studios' films bringing on their usual composers, I say Whedon has first pick on his composer. Christophe Beck is at his prime when he works for Whedon (he owes Whedon for the Buffy gig and the Emmy win), not so much with others. Robert Duncan is an all right choice, he's a guy I could get behind if he gets the job. David Newman I'm honestly on the fence on, but he can write some amazingly beautiful music when given the right film.

Even if Whedon gets a composer that's liked by a lot of people, the thorny issue is whether Marvel will 'encourage' he/she to keep a certain sound established in Iron Man and somewhat in Thor. I'd be happy if Whedon fought tooth and nail to get the composer to do their own thing.

I wonder what would JW's RC-flavoured score sound like. ;)

Karol

sorta like Steiner in the Grass, but even more electronics

J.N.H., quite frankly, gets too many of the high profile assignments -- let somebody else have a shot.

Yes, I DO mind Powell; while I have found some of his stuff okay, I can name probably twenty-five to fifty people who coudl do better and need the work. He's certainly got no problem grabbing up bouncing CGI animal films, so let him enjoy his pigeon-hold.

Aren't Marvel just a comic book company? Who made them in charge of the music department?

Kevin Feige is the main producer of Marvel Studios. He was the reason Ramin Djawadi got Iron Man before he let Jon Favreau bring in John Debney for the sequel. Even then, Debney's voice got squashed almost entirely; the more I re-listen to Doyle's Thor the less RC it sounds. But you get the point.

Feige and the other producers want some form of musical continuity (or a similar sound). Whether it's a composer who's done a Marvel film before or new to it -- it's the producer's call. Some producers let the directors pick the composers and have "a hands-off" clause. Others, like Jerry Bruckheimer, don't want an old-fashioned sound but want something new and inferior.

• 3 weeks later...

I like it. It could be better if Hawkeye wasn't pointing an arrow at Capt. America's head.

My interest for this film still resides in Joss Whedon, Hulk and Iron Man. And possibly Thor.

• 4 weeks later...

The first teaser is attached to the end of Captain America. And yes, it has some great footage.

Comic Book Movie has some working links to bootleg versions of the teaser here.

I wonder who will be playing Emma Peel and John Steed in this film?

Hollywood tried once, with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman. It bombed. This is a completely different type of Avengers, altogether.

I know you're trying to be clever and show all of us your age and culture, but know that the British spy TV show predates Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Avengers by only two years. You, of course, are slightly older than both.

Hollywood tried once, with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman. It bombed. This is a completely different type of Avengers, altogether.

I know you're trying to be clever and show all of us your age and culture, but know that the British spy TV show predates Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Avengers by only two years. You, of course, are slightly older than both.

my age and culture, please, I was just being funny without you having to analyze it so succinctly. I never cared much for the marvel comic Avengers, they seemed like a knee jerk reaction to the Justice League only with less powerful superheros. Though this does show my age and culture, I was hoping Sub Mariner would be involved as a villain or ally, which ever the producers chose to do as he was both at one time or another.

I wonder who will be playing Emma Peel and John Steed in this film?

Isn't Scarlett Johansson playing her? ;)

I have no interest whatsoever in this movie but if she played Peel then I would at least watch the trailer.

Grrr

I just don't see how this movie can be any good, honestly

Me too. I know it's got Joss Whedon and all, but it's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Still, the comic book nerds will lap it up I'm sure.

You haven't seen the film or read any reviews -- so why assume? I know some people aren't fans of Joss Whedon or comic-book movies in general, but still.

I think The Avengers will surprise a lot of people. (I'm a Whedon fan, so I am biased here.) It has a new superhero team-up concept on screen, and it has most of the actors reprising their roles from other Marvel movies (Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, et al). And I was impressed with Whedon's directorial debut, Serenity (which looked 4x more expensive than its $40M budget), so he knows how to handle a production and finish it on time and on budget. And I think he's a good writer.

Some people should give Whedon the benefit of a doubt. He's more than just writing snappy one-liners and killing off beloved characters in his TV shows.

Just what I was looking for, another superhero movie. What a breath of fresh air.

It has potential I guess. It has one of the writers from Toy Story. I just can't imagine a superhero team movie without excessive campiness.

You haven't seen the film or read any reviews -- so why assume? I know some people aren't fans of Joss Whedon or comic-book movies in general, but still.

I think The Avengers will surprise a lot of people. (I'm a Whedon fan, so I am biased here.) It has a new superhero team-up concept on screen, and it has most of the actors reprising their roles from other Marvel movies (Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, et al). And I was impressed with Whedon's directorial debut, Serenity (which looked 4x more expensive than its $40M budget), so he knows how to handle a production and finish it on time and on budget. And I think he's a good writer.

Some people should give Whedon the benefit of a doubt. He's more than just writing snappy one-liners and killing off beloved characters in his TV shows.

Whedon is my only hope for this movie to be any good. And still I'm expecting it to blow. So, yeah. There ya go.

Whedon is my only hope for this movie to be any good. And still I'm expecting it to blow. So, yeah. There ya go.

I don't think Stanley Kubrick could even save it unfortunately. Maybe it'll be good but superhero movies to me are some of the dullest films out there.

I can see why some people expect this movie to blow, but I can't see why people think it'll fail because it's "rushed." Now, Marvel Studios deserve some flack since none of their films have been truly remarkable -- okay at worst and pretty good at best -- but nothing groundbreaking. But this is the film they set the groundwork for in the first Iron Man onwards, so I'm hoping they pull out all the stops for this one.

I don't want summer 2012 where all the successful superhero films are the realistic and gritty kind (a la The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love how Disney is pretending Paramount and Marvel are still releasing this movie. Not to say Paramount isn't going to have their name and logo on the film, but how Disney is distributing it. (No Disney logo is anywhere to be seen.)

But it looks epic. Hate how Marvel went back on their word and are making a 3D release.