Georges Delerue

Koray Savas

Best place to start would probably be Varese's 2 CD 'Great Composers' set, which has a whole bunch of selection from Delerue scores, and based on that, check out the ones that particularly interest you. I'm not that well versed in Delerue, but I absolutely love his work.

Morlock is correct, I would recommend the Varese 2 disc set as starting point.

Unfortunately some of Delerue's better titles are out of print. Joe VS The Volcano (Varese CD Club), The Day Of The Dolphin(Percepto), The Escape Artist(Percepto), The French Revolution and That Man From Rio(Kritzerland) are all OOP.

However, if you are interested in scores still in print I would recommend Our Mother's House / The 25th Hour CD from FSM, Platoon / Salvador & Thibaud The Crusader, both discs from Prometheus. Also Chouans!, which is an import but should still be in print and Intrada's A Walk With Love And Death. Although the latter may not be to your tastes.

I would also recommend Intrada's volume I & II of Amazing Stories for Delerue's scores. Especially volume II for his lovely score to the episode Dorothy & Ben. Actually any real score fan should have all 3 volumes. :o

Some of the older Varese titles (regular releases), like Agnes Of God, can be found in eBay stores for $19 to $25 but I would be hesitant because I have a feeling those will be re-issued at some point.

The only Delerue I have is the three tracks on the Varèse 25th Anniversary album: The Robe, Steel Magnolias, and A Little Romance. That last one has some darned catchy Main Titles.

• 1 year later...

The only Delerue I have heard that i think it's absolutely wonderful is "Woman next door"! (and that piece from Agnes of God that resembles the Face of Pan from Hook)

I haven't discovered much this composer but most of the times I want to have seen the film to listen to the soudntrack.. that's why.

And I haven't seen many French films.

Delerue is one of my favourites. AGNES OF GOD and BLACK ROBE are great in the religious-sounding segments, but the suspense music sucks (Delerue was never really good at that).

The 2CD "Great Composers" set is indeed the best way to go for an introduction, but I also treasure my 6CD "book" set -- even though the box itself is falling apart at the seams. That latter set has EVERYTHING, a superb and representative overview of his entire career.

• 4 years later...

Delerue's Main Title for A Man for All Seasons--written in the style of parallel organum and performed by period instruments--is one of the most baddass I've ever heard. Looking back, it had a huge impact on me as a 6 year old and was one of my most vivid film music memories from childhood.

I know, a 6 year old watching films about intellectual courage in the face of state power. I was a weird kid.

He did a ton of these medieval things. I also love 'A Walk with Love and Death' - a rare dreadful John Huston movie - which oozes Delerue's special brand of dark age melancholy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm listening to samples from Delerue's unused Something Wicked This Way Comes score. It's definitely more unsettling and subtle than Horner's replacement score, but it's beautiful. 

That will be my first Delerue score.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Georges Delerue: The Complete London Sessions

Link.

This is one of Varese’ most cherished recordings. Georges Delerue: The Complete London Sessions is such a priceless collection of his music that we couldn’t stand having its last reissue be out of print any longer. The suites, recorded in London in the spring of 1989, were first issued as three individual volumes, each with a Bob Peak painting on the cover. In 2001 we compiled the original three volumes into a 2-CD set called Great Composers: Georges Delerue, featuring a Matthew Peak photo of Paris on the cover. 

For this new edition we return to Bob Peak’s “Lady In White” painting from Volume One and present all of the newly recorded London suites that Georges Delerue recorded for us (not including the various bonus tracks of previous editions, which were not recorded at the London sessions).  It is a priceless collection of Delerue’s sumptuous music. We have remastered it and are absolutely thrilled to have this collection join our very special new batch of CD Club titles.

From Rich and Famous, Platoon and Beaches to Steel Magnolias, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Memories of Me and Hommage à François Truffaut, this is a collection not to be missed.

Limited Edition of 1000 copies

Disc One
1. Rich and Famous Suite (4:56) 
2. Platoon Finale and End Title (6:54) 
3. Her Alibi End Title (5:31) 
4. Beaches Friendship (3:29) 
5. Exposed Suite (9:18) 
6. Biloxi Blues Main Title (2:34) 
7. Steel Magnolias Suite (8:08) 
8. Interlude Theme (3:23) 
9. The Escape Artist Suite (7:24) 
10. The Pick-up Artist Theme (3:09)

Disc Two
1. Something Wicked This Way Comes Suite (10:51)
2. Hommage à François Truffaut* (12:12)
I. Shoot the Piano Player / II. Love at 20 / III. Jules and Jim / IV. The Soft Skin 
V. Two English Girls / VI. Such a Gorgeous Girl Like Me / VII. Vivement Dimanche 
VIII. Day for Night / IX. The Woman Next Door / X. The Last Metro 
3. Maxie End Title (4:06) 
4. House on Carroll Street Theme (3:12) 
5. A Little Sex Suite (9:27) 
6. Maid to Order Theme (2:15) 
7. Man Woman and Child Theme (3:20)
8. Memories of Me Suite (6:50) 
9. Crimes of the Heart Suite (10:45)

*Georges Delerue, Piano

I only have one or two Delerue albums in my collection this one. Seems like a nice sampler. I'm almost ashamed of my Delerue ignorance.

Karol

• 2 years later...

Sorry for hijacking this thread (couldn't find an "official" composer thread), but random question for any Delerue fans regarding That Man From Rio... how exactly did Alexandre Desplat's participation in this work in this given that Desplat would have been in nappies when this film came out! Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread (couldn't find an "official" composer thread)

You're in it

1 minute ago, Jay said:

You're in it

Hah, well I guess it kinda is... it didn't have one of those tags to it so wasn't sure. But good to know.

7 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread (couldn't find an "official" composer thread), but random question for any Delerue fans regarding That Man From Rio... how exactly did Alexandre Desplat's participation in this work in this given that Desplat would have been in nappies when this film came out! Thanks.

My question again. The lack of answer is burning a hole in my brain ;-)

On 6/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, crocodile said:

I only have one or two Delerue albums in my collection this one. Seems like a nice sampler. I'm almost ashamed of my Delerue ignorance.

That's exactly why I ordered this along with Lionheart (and because it was on sale).

16 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

As you say, Desplat was about 2 years old when that film came out. He has no involvement in it.

If you're talking about the Universal France CD release, it includes a cue from the De Broca film AMAZONE (2000), which Desplat scored. It also includes some re-recorded cues from the RIO score, conducted by Desplat. When he recorded them, I don't know. Presumably for the Universal France CD release in 2006.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

As you say, Desplat was about 2 years old when that film came out. He has no involvement in it.

If you're talking about the Universal France CD release, it includes a cue from the De Broca film AMAZONE (2000), which Desplat scored. It also includes some re-recorded cues from the RIO score, conducted by Desplat. When he recorded them, I don't know. Presumably for the Universal France CD release in 2006.

Aha thank you. That makes sense. I couldn’t find the case which presumably has an explanation. 

• 2 years later...

Since I'm not familiar with this composer, can anyone recommend any religious-related/sounding soundtracks (besides Black Robe and Agnes of God)?

30 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Since I'm not familiar with this composer, can anyone recommend any religious-related/sounding soundtracks (besides Black Robe and Agnes of God)?

There are mostly a number of individual tracks I can think of, that adher to a similar sound, rather than whole scores like those two you mention. There's also that thin line between the pastoral/bittersweet and that with a more religious slant. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't.