Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The whole expansion thing was improbable anyway. I doubt any label is willing to release 6 boxes of 6 to 7 CDs each, even if they're released over the course of a few years.

I think a complete box set for season 1 is certainly possible, thanks to the continuing popularity of the show and composer, and because it was all recorded before the July 2005 AFM cutoff date. 

Later seasons would be impossible until that rule changes.

Still, anyone should ask Giacchino on social media why not just release everything on streaming. Is there any rule that prevents artists of uploading so much music to Spotify and the others? Even if it's done over the course of a few years?

Maybe it's a rights thing? It's a Disney show after all.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think a complete box set for season 1 is certainly possible, thanks to the continuing popularity of the show and composer, and because it was all recorded before the July 2005 AFM cutoff date. 

Later seasons would be impossible until that rule changes.

Oh right, I forgot about the whole AFM thing. Geez... this adds another layer of difficulty to possible expansions.

Sighhhhhhh... I was really hoping for at least a 2CD (or 3CD) Deluxe Edition of LOST Season 1, getting a wide release. (After all, their Deluxe Edition of Graeme Revell's The Crow was put out not long ago as a regular release, not a Club title.)

Yavar

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the distinction between a club title and a regular release nowadays?

5 minutes ago, JTW said:

The letters.

Well yes, they do have different catalogue numbers. Here are some other differences:

1. Regular releases more commonly tend to end up in regular stores, where those still exist. They have wider distribution (through a Universal Music distribution deal for many years, I believe).

2. Tied in with this, regular releases are sold at other retailers at list price, because they are widely available at wholesale prices for retailers. Retailers like Intrada or Screen Archives have to mark up Varese Sarabande Club titles $5 or so because they can only purchase them at list price just like anyone else.

3. Regular releases are not limited editions in the same way as Club titles have been. Yes, they eventually stop printing them when they stop selling, but they don't say "limited to 2000 copies" on the packaging and likely the paperwork is different for licensing them (Varese almost never gets perpetuity rights on scores that premiere in the Club line, because those are expressly limited editions anyway.)

Yavar