Red Letter Media Reviews (Plinkett & Half in the Bag)

Henry B

A lot of people like to bitch about the way Kirk died. He fell off a bridge and then the bridge fell on him. He was trying to save a pre-industrial civilization that we never saw or would care anything about. But that's not really a plot hole, it's just kinda like, something that's stupid.

It is interesting how pretty much every key grievance "Plinkett" brings up in the 3 reviews was blatantly addressed with such vigour in TFA. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Lucasfilm/Abrams/Kennedy had full awareness of the reviews. Mike & Jay have mentioned before on Half in the Bag that key figures at Lucasfilm (who remain safely anonymous) have contacted them in the past thanking them for the reviews and assuring them that the right people are sympathetic to the criticisms. That might have been before Lucas sold off the rights to Disney though, so who knows how the management structure changed things.

The reason Plinkett's reviews are so effective is the avoidance of lazy nitpicking of the obvious problems (like Jar Jar Binks), instead focusing on the holistic storytelling problems with the prequels. It isn't just criticism like, "CGI SUCKS WAHHH!!", it elaborates on why excessive CGI hurts the storytelling. A lesson Jackson clearly failed to heed with the Hobbit trilogy.

Anyway, this review at 25:30 is probably my favourite Best of the Worst moment. I couldn't stop laughing for about 15 minutes straight; Mike was just on fire when they filmed this:

https://youtu.be/aA2Z16QiNsE

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm grateful that prequels were made so that I can enjoy those reviews.

Heh, I've thought on this before. They are very entertaining. And the Darths&Droids screencap webcomic.

I never got the whole tasteless "raped my childhood" thing because for me Star Wars was always like this. I can however see how many of the ideas could have made for cool space opera movies if they had proper writing in the first place. But I'm just "oh well". I'm "oh well" about Star Wars, Jedi and The Force Awakens, but on a different level. I think those actually bother me more than a complete disaster does.

Funnily that's supposedly because they thought his own voice and point of view would have been boring and self-important. I imagine they drew more viewers and attention by not playing it straight. Although maybe they could have also done that with a different voice.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I would enjoy them more if it wasn't for this utterly grating dumb voice he uses in them.

5 hours ago, Drax said:

The Jame Gumb voice is hilarious. And he always keeps me on edge as to what he's going to do next with his kidnapped girls in the basement. Love that stuff.

Yeah, the voice is part of the whole effect and really can't be separated from the final product since it's built so much around the Plinkett character.  It's a psychopath making observant and erudite criticism about the movies he's reviewing, which gives the reviews a great twist by giving an essentially straight-forward assessment while doubling as a comedy skit.  It prevents him from coming off as just another person bashing the prequels.

We would have missed out on the Kodak printer challenge :(

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I would enjoy them more if it wasn't for this utterly grating dumb voice he uses in them.

I always hated the voice when I would just see clips of the reviews posted around, but when I decided to try watching the full videos last year I was surprised how quickly I got into the character concept. I think it's pretty hilarious now...and weirdly soothing...

I have no issue with the Plinkett voice in reviews because he cleverly breaks it up by using audio clips from the film, well placed incidental and Williams music, and regular cameos from alter-egos like Palpy.

I couldn't sit through more than half an hour of his audio commentary though. It's literally his croaking voice for 2 hours and it quickly loses its humour without the aural relief of contrasting voices.

Didn't expect much from that but once again the boys delivered, amusingly highlighting how godawful most of the scrapped EU is.

The Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center? Like, seriously? Did he cut the red tape at the grand opening as well?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You knew this was coming. I'm honestly dying to know what he thinks of it, though, particularly in contrast to the prequels.

I'm not getting my hopes up. They disappointingly kissed the movie's ass in the Half in the Bag review and they also love Star Trek 2009. The Plinkett reviews were only good in the beginning. Ever since they finished up the prequels, they've just been shit.

24 minutes ago, Uni said:

You knew this was coming. I'm honestly dying to know what he thinks of it, though, particularly in contrast to the prequels.

Mike (Plinkett) loved it in the HitB review.

21 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I'm not getting my hopes up. They disappointingly kissed the movie's ass in the Half in the Bag review and they also love Star Trek 2009. The Plinkett reviews were only good in the beginning. Ever since they finished up the prequels, they've just been shit.

Yeah, how dare they enjoy a movie. They should only have morose, cynical disdain for everything.

He definitely seemed to have more mixed feelings on it. I don't think he secretly hated it but you could see him holding back on some things.

I thought the HITB was pretty fair. I didn't feel like they were kissing ass other than saying they liked it, but I guess that's enough....

The RLM guys, especially Mike, get irritable toward unnecessarily complex stories with extraneous fluff, rather like the prequels had. TFA cut all that out and addressed one of Plinkett's core criticisms of TPM, which was its lack of a clear pro-toe-gahn-ist.

It also failed to do anything original and ripped off the previous movies to the point where it was insulting. Plus, it was another one of those sequels that focuses on new characters and relegates the old characters that you actually came to see to the background.

Still not sure why people care so much about these reviews. Don't find them particularly funny, nor really remarkable, yet it feels like most people regard them very highly, and are awaiting their reviews of some movies more than the actual movies. Just don't get it. Bah!

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Still not sure why people care so much about these reviews. Don't find them particularly funny, nor really remarkable, yet it feels like most people regard them very highly, and are awaiting their reviews of some movies more than the actual movies. Just don't get it. Bah!

You're just jealous and insecure because you're scared there might be someone funnier than you!

5 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

It also failed to do anything original and ripped off the previous movies to the point where it was insulting. Plus, it was another one of those sequels that focuses on new characters and relegates the old characters that you actually came to see to the background.

I went to see the new characters.

Still, it seems to me that people are far too light on this film.

Just now, Stefancos said:

I think most people here are very aware of the films weak spots, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Yep.  It's by no means a perfect film but I'm just glad that we got a new Williams score for a film that's neither embarrassing (Indy 4, War Horse, The Book Thief) nor boring (Tintin, Lincoln, The Book Thief). 

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I think most people here are very aware of the films weak spots, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

It's a marked narrative improvement compared to JJ's Star Trek movies and there's genuine charisma in the film (I see loads of cool fanart about the new characters), which makes the boring or not well thought out areas even more glaring.

In that sense it's similar to the OT. 

9 minutes ago, hanser said:

I assume you are just trolling, but seriously: Tintin boring? War Horse embarrassing? I dont think so.

I'm completely serious.  Tintin is a nerfed Indiana Jones with a more boring Maguffin and War Horse has groaners all-throughout, despite great production values and a couple of good scenes.