Red Letter Media Reviews (Plinkett & Half in the Bag)

Henry B

There are faint hints of a Rey/Finn romance that could work out, and why not? Interracial relationships, bisexual relationships between Finn/Poe, it could work wonders with Disney's plans for diversification!

I thought RLM might have "enhanced" footage from the film to make it look utterly putrid, dialing the saturation and exposure WAY beyond acceptable levels for any competent DI artist.

Incredibly enough, no, they actually graded the film to look that fucking awful. Yikes!

Legitimate incompetence by the colour gradist? Or have Sony staff reached the point where they're sabotaging their own movies as a middle finger to clueless, meddling executives who don't understand the basics of film or photography? I'm leaning towards the latter.

There's going to be widespread internet uproar when certain sections realise Rose is going to be Finn's love interest and there's nothing going on between him and Poe. I don't know if I'll be able for the twitter drama. 

11 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

I think his best criticism of TFA in his Plinkett review was how it lacked any sexuality, as in none of the characters seem attracted to one another, which would otherwise create drama. Maybe it didn't need it because it was an introductory film, but Rogue One lacked any romance either! Which suggests a pattern in these movies that the studio wants them to be as sterile and sexless and possible to reach as many demographics as desired.

Right on!

5 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Probably did it more out of obligation than anything.

What obligation? There are films more deserving of Plinkett's anal-ysis than TFA!

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

What obligation? There are films more deserving of Plinkett's anal-ysis than TFA!

Yeah like Independence Day Resurgence. But there's just one problem, Mike Stoklasa claims to like that movie, which struck me as bizarre.

52 minutes ago, Arpy said:

What obligation?

For the sheer fact that he did the prequels, fans were expecting him to do TFA simply because it's a new Star Wars film, regardless of the fact that it didn't fit the mold for those types of reviews.

54 minutes ago, Arpy said:

There are films more deserving of Plinkett's anal-ysis than TFA!

And that's why TFA itself wasn't even the focus of the review, it just didn't lend itself to the type of harsh criticism that could fulfill the requirements of the previous treatments in the series.  It was just an excuse to poke the various branches of the franchise and its fan base.

On ‎9‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Arpy said:

I get the feeling his TFA review was more like a general discussion on the positive and negative and the renaissance TFA has inspired in the Star Wars franchise. Also Mike Stoklasa liked the film and said as much in the Half in the Bag episode. TFA didn't seem like a film I thought he would Plinkettize at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I laughed out loud a few times at this one. E.g. this moment:

Reminds me of my 8th grade drama class LOL. 

This moment is great too:

ROTFLMAO

And you can clearly see he's reading off his script located just off-screen. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. 

• 1 month later...

That video perfectly showcases my lack of interest on certain things, even if it's done be people considerably more interested in them than me.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:03 AM, Arpy said:

There are faint hints of a Rey/Finn romance that could work out, and why not? Interracial relationships, bisexual relationships between Finn/Poe, it could work wonders with Disney's plans for diversification!

They have no such plans. They just want to sell movies in China and maybe, maybe, someday, have a woman direct a SW movie

• 10 months later...

Saw that a few days ago, made me want to watch the movie again, I haven't seen it in over a decade! Would like to see them take on Predator 2; that was the first one I saw when I was ten, and I thought it was awesome! But apparently people think it sucks.

There are times we agree 100% and I still enjoy the prequel and Star Trek reviews despite enjoying the movies, but plenty of times they left me scratching my head, like their hatred of ID4 and obsession with SW. I think they're starting to cool it with that shit and seem less enthusiastic about Disney Star Wars.

It depends on the obsession. When it comes to SW, I just don't know what's left to talk about. The discussion is so infantile and the embarrassing geekery of the fanbase has been spoofed repeatedly by these guys. On the other hand, whenever Mike references Star Trek...

His best stuff was all at the beginning, especially when he was the Nintendo Nerd. You can tell he had a passion for the games and wasn't just playing random stuff and going through the motions. His rants about the power cords and all the shit you had to hook up to Sega are legendary too.

His earlier reviews are completely different because he was reviewing games he was duped by as a kid. They weren't fun, but the gaming industry certainly wasn't what it is today and it's reasonable to assume these games were simply made to entertain AKA distract stupid kids that would just stare at the screen and mash buttons.

I enjoy Board James a lot. Especially the longer entries like Mr Bucket and Dreamphone. And I miss his more experimental shows like Overanalyzers, which he copped a lot of shit over at the time simply because it wasn't AVGN.

I thought AVGN  was hilarious as a teenager, but rewatching a lot of it years later...most did _not_ hold up for me. The later episodes definitely feel like his interest in the character has died down and became much more "something for the fans".  He did a Mega Man episode with time travel that was a good commentary on this, which led me to believe it was going to be the last episode, but alas.

I also don't find a lot of his insights in Rolfe mode very compelling, but he definitely seems like a cool dude to hang out with. As one of the first Internet celebrities, it's interesting to watch him process this "career". This parody of that impact is a very enjoyable and succinct summation.