Henry Buck

Red Letter Media Reviews (Plinkett & Half in the Bag)

45 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

They can still be funny now and then, but I'm pretty burned out on their inherent dismissal of any mainstream popcorn blockbuster. It just feels cynical for the sake of it.

Yeah this has become a bit of a problem over the last few years. Not sure why but they seem to be pandering to a small section of their base; the more intelligent, analytical side to their reviews seems to be vanishing.

I reckon RLM have been very selective of the films they choose to review, films that are the trashy blockbusters. They reserve the more formal insightful criticism for their re:View series.

I mean it sincerely when I say you’re entitled to that opinion, but as respectfully as I can, I want to say that I feel my body is actively rejecting it, like a virus. 

Overall, I like them, and think they can be very insightful in their critiques ( though frankly, that trend of looking at films from the viewpoint: "If I were a filmmaker, this is how I would approach it" or "This doesn't work for me, and using film theory I'm going to explain to you exactly how", has gotten so common to where it seems every movie review person on the Internet is a repressed filmmaker).  

However, there's a certain snarkiness and flavor to their humor--the "What?" awkward humor that especially Jay is guilty of--that has become more and more unpalatable to me as I watch them. And Rich's shouting and screaming, contrary to the whole of Reddit, is so annoying, no one should've told 'im it was the funny the first time he did it so he can save the trained seal act.

In short, RLM is tailor-made for Internet culture...and I feel very at odds with Internet culture.

4 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Some of their humor isn't funny at all, like screaming Aids, joking about homosexuality, 9/11, homelessless etc. They can be hilarious when they're just watching bad movies.

Those are funny, you Grinch!

Just now, Norma's Corpse said:

Aren't Plinkett and Jay Susan getting married?

A volcano god interrupted their wedding.

I can see why some people don’t like them. Their style of humor isn’t for everyone. 

I find them entertaining and well-informed. Every once in a while they’ll articulate something about a movie in a way that accurately describes something I was thinking but couldn’t put into words. I think that is what they do very well. They’re just average joes who like movies.