• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Henry Buck

Red Letter Media Reviews (Plinkett & Half in the Bag)

421 posts in this topic

I don't understand. Surely people don't say you don't like the prequels.

I meant the people who tell me about the quality of them. Shoulda worded it better I suppose.

He means he can't stand him because he pokes fun at the rubbish PT.

I mean I can't stand him because he's like a million other SW fans that feel the need to piss and moan about the prequels to this day. You hate them, cool, sorry they didn't live up to what you wanted, but damn time to move on.

Save your exploring space and meeting aliens for the Star Trek TV shows. Oh I'm sorry, too bad there aren't any. Enterprise -- exploring space and meeting aliens -- took care of that.

I've never seen the exploration Trek films but I disagree. You could have a cool adventure film about exploration with action and all. Using the special effects of today to create stuff we haven't ever seen. But I doubt they'll do that because they would have to invent new stories, and studios are scared of that.

Do you know this film of 2009 that earned SO much money? Regardless of the plot and the characters, we spent a big deal of the film exploring an alien Earth-like world with big blue native Americans in it. I mean, Roddenberry's 'paralell Earths' concept, anyone?

Star Trek, time to wake up.

People went to see one that was called just Star Trek. Hmmm, interesting.

Let's cook a recipe. Take Star Trek. Put the characters in an adventure in deep space not linked to anything else in ST. Use allegory like District 9 and action like Avatar. Make the characters solve a huge problem, involving a McGuffin. For this use a structure like Indiana Jones, with some charismatic villain and all. Make up some surprising alien concepts to shock the audience. You're allowed to be scary (think, how would the characters work with situations like Alien but in an universe like ST?). Put some unexpected twist at the end. Happy ending.

People went to see one that was called just Star Trek. Hmmm, interesting.

Word of mouth got around that it was good for meth addicts.

Mr. Plinkett reviews KOTCS - More depraved than ever!

Go here for the review.

Interesting points as usual, but what surprised me was what he actually liked about the film, including Shia LaBeouf and a few things about the setting. He also offers some neat suggestions that you'd think any script doctor would have brought up. Actually, someone needs to hire him as a script doctor!

crumbs likes this

Better read it soon. If this SOPA bill passes that's the type of things I fully expect to be yanked from the internet

From what I read it gives them the power to shut you down for whatever reason they feel like . It's pretty easy to file a copyright claim without having to justify it or prove anything, which is essentially what this bill is.

You bet.

Wasn't there recently a case of Universal removing a hip-hop song celebrating Megaupload, a work they didn't have anything to do with, whatsoever? The clue of the story was that google/youtube gave them a master password, thus enabling them to delete content as they see fit. 'Yes, we can', indeed.

Y'know, I never realized how odd it was for Indy to be involved in World War II with the U.S. army. He always was sort of a-political and had a more worldly disposition, despite being American.

He has already reviewed Avatar

And I agree with many, I still find him one of the most insighful critics around, even though I don't always agree

"This movie feels like a visual imitation of an Indiana Jones film with somebody's grandpa dressing up like Indiana Jones."

Nailed it.

The KotCS review was hilarious and quite on the nose too.

Wonderful. Leave it to Plinkett to intelligently explain why brutal, gross out violence and murder is central to the experience of Indiana Jones.

Wonderful. Leave it to Plinkett to intelligently explain why brutal, gross out violence and murder is central to the experience of Indiana Jones.

Yes. As you heard everything he says is the only right opinion and makes sense.

Well, no, I'm serious though. That stuff is important! I think the ending sequence of the interview with Karen Allen cut with violent clips from the original trilogy summed up best of all what's wrong with KOTCS. And it's not just graphic violence. It's edginess, attitude, brutality. And most of all bravery: that's what KOTCS had little of.

crumbs likes this

I'd never noticed there isn't a single confirmed kill by Indy in KOTCS. It's shocking, really.

It's basically a Disney Indiana Jones movie. I mean, just look at the thing: aesthetically it looks like a cross between National Treasure and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I like how it looks, but some parts of it would look so much better if it used more real locations and was more restrained with the bad CGI.

I'd never noticed there isn't a single confirmed kill by Indy in KOTCS. It's shocking, really.

It's basically a Disney Indiana Jones movie. I mean, just look at the thing. Aesthetically, it looks like a cross between National Treasure and Pirates of the Caribbean.

It tries so hard to recapture the old feel of the Indy films aesthetically but it is hit and miss in the end. The CGI which was supposedly used with lighter hand (say the film makers) in this film but it comes off quite polished in all respects and has that over produced sheen that is absent only in places. It is strange how you used to laugh or smile at the old effects in the Indy films, like the falling tank or the plane crashing and exploding in the Himalayas but somehow now those details seem to add to the charm of the first three Indy films. The grittier approach makes it all feel somehow more realistic in a strange way. Same goes for the violence which was at times ugly, Indy was certainly more ruthless, giving to the villains as good as he was getting and indeed did kill his enemies who were out to kill him. Perhaps Indiana Jones was going soft in his old age. Dotard!

crumbs likes this

It's basically a Disney Indiana Jones movie. I mean, just look at the thing. Aesthetically it looks like a cross between National Treasure and Pirates of the Caribbean.

This is why I feel that while GL can redo the Han/Greedo scene as many different times as he wants to make Han Solo a more kid-friendly, less bloodthirsty kind of guy, there is absolutely nothing he can to change the moment in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indiana Jones uses his gun to dispatch an impressive sword-wielding man in black desert attire (short of removing it entirely, leaving a large gap in Williams' fine action cue).

That moment -- Harrison Ford at one of his worst personal moments, sick on Egyptian living -- produced one of Indiana Jones' best and most defining.

That character is absent in KOTCS.

crumbs likes this

As always, Plinkett delivers an incredibly entertaining review, and he brings up some very good points, as well as some virtually unarguable weaknesses of the film that I had not noticed. That said, the big picture stuff is largely him choosing aspects of KotCS that did/did not follow the original trilogy, and assuming that these decisions were bad ones. What I mean is, he praises ToD for taking risks. In many ways KotCS also takes risks, Plinkett just personally dislikes them. Why does Indy need to be apolitical? Well, why can't an Indiana Jones film begin with a musical number? The opposite is also true. He praises LC for playing it safe in many aspects, but he dislikes the instances that KotCS decided to play it safe. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him having these opinions - they seem very genuine, given the fact that he finds a decent amount of material that he enjoys from the film - but they are just opinions, and they don't always seem to follow some sort of internal logic. And I am glad he makes these reviews, because like I said, they're very entertaining, and in some ways they are informative.